Microchipping your pets

Old December 5th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pldoolittle

Default Microchipping your pets

A few years back, our webstore (http://www.OdorDestroyer.com) ran an
atricle on the benfits of microchipping. Recently, an announcement by
the American Microchip Advisory Council for Animals (AMACA) that it has
plans to build a national database of all the pet microchips in the USA
has revived this topic.

.. We would be very appreciative if the readers of this group have any
commentsthey would like to share on the subject of microchipping. We
are particularly interested if you know have any personal experiences
with tracking lost pet.

Here's the link:
http://www.odordestroyer.com/newsblo...chip-my-pet-4/

Thank you,
Philip

P.S. If you wish to link to our directory, please do so.

Old December 5th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

i have all my dogs microchipped and i think it is the best thing in the
world for your pet, it gives you a better chance of getting them back
if gone without tags i have had several dogs from our rescue be
returned to us due to the chipp and they where miles away!!
it told on alot of the adopters because alot of times we would have
the dogs back due to the chipp before the owners found them and we had
called and checked up on the adoption and they lied to us telling us
that the dog was fine and we had the dog in our custody due to the
microchipp!!and they where safe!!

Old December 5th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

I've never microchipped any of my critters.

IIRC, when they were "new", I asked if I could record my (the owners)
info on the chip, and was told they'd allow only the vet's info or
something like that.

Now that pldoolittle has brought it up, would appreciate a basic
breakdown of advantages/disadvantages of microchipping a dog.

TIA,
Puddin'

On 5 Dec 2006 11:42:46 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Old December 6th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Now that pldoolittle has brought it up, would appreciate a basic
breakdown of advantages/disadvantages of microchipping a dog.

When your pet is microchipped, you mail in a card with the pertinent
information regarding ownership to the microchipping company. When a pet is
scanned for a chip, a number pops up on the screen dedicated to that
particular chip. The scanning person calls the company up and gives the
number. They are then told how to contact the owner based on the info the
owner sent the company.

It's that easy. We've located a few of the strays who have graced us with
their presence with a chip.

Old December 6th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Sharon Too wrote:
Now that pldoolittle has brought it up, would appreciate a basic
breakdown of advantages/disadvantages of microchipping a dog.

When your pet is microchipped, you mail in a card with the pertinent
information regarding ownership to the microchipping company. When a pet is
scanned for a chip, a number pops up on the screen dedicated to that
particular chip. The scanning person calls the company up and gives the
number. They are then told how to contact the owner based on the info the
owner sent the company.

Also, you can usually cross-register the chip number and your info
with other registration agencies, just to be on the safe side. I
think they all charge a nominal fee.

It's that easy. We've located a few of the strays who have graced us with
their presence with a chip.

I've taken strays to my vet(s) to be scanned for chips. Also, a
stray iguana my mom found in her yard. None had chips, but better
safe than sorry, I think.

FWIW: Sadly, many shelters still do not scan for chips, nor are
they under any obligation to do so. Even if the shelter routinely
scans animals, they may elect to skip an animal if it seems fearful
or aggressive. Therefore, microchipping not a fail-safe method of
identification. If your pet *does* go missing, make sure you visit
area shelters *in person* to search for your dog (shelter IDs are
notoriously inaccurate), and be sure to ask to see animals that are
being kept out of public view.

I would also recommend keeping ID tags on the dog. That will make
it easier for good samaritans to contact you if they find your
animal. It will also make it more likely that local AC will contact
you, as well.

Another thing to consider is taking good identification photos of
your dog (standing side shot and good face shot). Some of the
photos I've seen on lost posters are completely useless for
identification purposes.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old December 6th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Puddin' Man said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've never microchipped any of my critters.

All of mine have been microchipped.

IIRC, when they were "new", I asked if I could record my
(the owners) info on the chip, and was told they'd allow
only the vet's info or something like that.

Murphy was microchipped 10 years ago. Not new, but relatively
uncommon then. We'd moved to a new city and a new vet and found
that her ear tattoo was no longer legible. I didn't want to
tattoo her again, so the microchip was a good alternative.

All of my information was tied to the chip's reference number,
as was the vet's, and I was able to update it when we moved.

Old December 6th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Rocky wrote:

All of mine have been microchipped.

Roxy is chipped, but my cats are not. I've been thinking more and more
that I should get both kitties chipped even though they are
indoor-only. Just in case something happens. I would be distraught if
I lost one or both of them.

When microchipping first came into use, there were no universal
scanners. Now there are and I can't see any reason not to chip your
pets. I think it's a brilliant. Especially after seeing what happened
after Katrina, which also led me to include an alternate contact on
Roxy's records in case something also happens to me or my home and/or
phone.

Old December 6th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 6 Dec 2006 02:32:37 GMT, Rocky wrote:

...Murphy was microchipped 10 years ago...

Matt, has Murphy's chip migrated significantly over the years? Long ago,
I read that was sometimes a problem.

A few months back, I saw a discussion about other types of
complications, but the discussion was very brief. I don't recall the
details.

___________________________
Don't sweat the small stuff--and most of it is small stuff. :-)
Old December 6th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Matt, has Murphy's chip migrated significantly over the years? Long ago,
I read that was sometimes a problem.

Years ago, we'd see that at times where it would migrate down. Supposedly
they've made changes so that it's less likely. We haven't seen it in quite a
while.

Old December 6th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Michael A. Ball said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

...Murphy was microchipped 10 years ago...

Matt, has Murphy's chip migrated significantly over the
years? Long ago, I read that was sometimes a problem.

She died about 6 years after her microchipping, but even though
she had the older type without the dimple into which muscle
tissue is meant to grow to prevent migration, hers didn't
migrate.

And, this was an Avid chip. Rocky and Friday both have Avid
chips, too; Rocky for 8.5 years (chipped before 7 weeks old),
Friday for at least 5 years - no migration in either case. I
get them scanned at each vet check.