German German Shepherd agressive towards neighbors.

Old July 17th 04, 08:22 PM
AndreaS

Default German German Shepherd agressive towards neighbors.

"Ed" wrote

He listens to me just fine for the most part. I just figured he would
warm up somewhat to a neighbor he sees daily.
Yes puppyWIZZ is filttered out.

You haven't described his behavior at all or discussed what actions you've
taken to end it, but GSDs as well as many other dogs can be territorial.
Have you introduced this neighbor on multiple occasions and actually let the
dog get to know him, or does the dog just see this person coming and going
with you hoping get used to it? Even if it's a person he "knows" it may be
the situation he's reacting to, not the individual.

If the latter, this may be exacerbating the problem, much as can happen with
mailmen and delivery people. The person enters the property (dogs don't
understand property lines so your fence and his "territory" may not end at
the same place) the dog reacts assertively, the person leaves or otherwise
disappears and the dog feels he's succeeded. Repeat as necessary. If you
continue to let this occur it will only get worse. I'd recommend you discuss
the matter with a good trainer in your area.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old July 18th 04, 01:04 AM
Ed

How about I have the neighbor give him some cookies and not make eye
contact with him ?