On Finding A Comfortable Home...

Old September 4th 04, 03:27 AM
KWBrown

Default On Finding A Comfortable Home...

.... in the competitive arena.

Storm and I ran two UKC/HRC Seasoned tests this past weekend. We failed
one and passed one - but if possible, I think the test we failed was
even more fun than the one we passed!

Seasoned is the HRC's intermediate level of Hunt Tests. Dogs have to
do:

* Land Double
* Water Double
* Walkup (as you amble casually along with dog at heel, bird flies out
of the shrubbery and is shot while dog sits at the first sign of
excitement. The bird is then retrieved.)
* Diversion Bird (a bird gets thrown while the dog is coming back with
an earlier bird - dog must ignore diversion until it has delivered the
first bird, and then go get the diversion)
* Land blind (~50 yards)
* Water blind (~50 yards)

The main differences between this and CKC Senior is that the dog doesn't
have to honour (sit quietly off-lead while another dog works in front of
his nose) or quarter (work a sensible, independent pattern to find birds
hidden in the field and return them to the handler). The blinds are
also quite a bit shorter. Oh: and in UKC tests, the handler is firing
a shotgun loaded with blanks at the flying (dead) birds and must at all
times demonstrate gun safety.

I've decided that I *love* Seasoned. It's a great fit for our skill set
right now. The test we failed was put together with great imagination
and was fun to run: We began at the starting line. We ambled along
with a pack of judges in pursuit and shot/retrieved the walkup bird. We
ambled along a little further and, lo! There was a bucket upon which I
sat with my dog at heel. I quacked and the two land-double birds came
out. Bang, bang, fetch, fetch. (and the second land bird was a looooong
bird for Seasoned). We got up, ambled some more, and lo! There was the
place to run the land blind! Storm took the ditch in a leap and brought
back the blind with one cast, and then handled the diversion that
followed with aplomb.

We moved over to the water, where we were rowed over to an island,
picked up a water blind, and settled in for the water double. (Now, I'm
getting cocky.) She got the first bird, and then got tangled up in a
point and some nasty current to miss the very last bird of the day.
Rats.

The second day's test had those same elements, but arranged much less
creatively. We passed with flying colours, but I think I really
preferred the Saturday test.

I'm working Storm towards Senior in the spring, and I hope to finish
Storm's HR title then, too: but what a ton of fun we had! I think I
could run Seasoned for years...

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old September 7th 04, 04:56 PM

On 4 Sep 2004 02:27:33 GMT KWBrown whittled these words:
... in the competitive arena.

Storm and I ran two UKC/HRC Seasoned tests this past weekend. We failed
one and passed one - but if possible, I think the test we failed was
even more fun than the one we passed!

If you aren't having fun you are doing it wrong. Yes, sometimes the
misses are more fun.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/