diabetic Siberian/Samoyd mix

Old January 23rd 05, 04:36 AM

Default diabetic Siberian/Samoyd mix

my dear dog was diagnosed with IDDM 3 days after her 13th birthday-
which fell on thanksgiving last year. We've been trying to stabilise
her blood sugar for 2 months now and it's not stable yet. My vet
wants us to proceed with caution when increasing her insulin because he
is worried about .... syndrome which causes the body to utilise it's
own tissues when too much insulin is present. I can't think of the
name- it seems to me that it's a Scandinavian name, beginning with
"s"....

I guess I would like to hear how other dog's paths toward stabilising
their blood sugar went- she is losing weight and I worry about that,
but of course I worry about chewing up her tissues because I'm
overmedicating her.

she went from Humulin NPH to PZI about a week ago and I'm giving her 20
IU once/day.

Also, where can people get blood from their northern breed dog? the
only place I can get it is on her nose. :-( she doesnt' mind the
lancet but she doens't like having her head held while I collect the
blood on the test strip. I figure most northern breed dogs are going
to keep their capillaries as far away from the surface as possible.

Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (10), Sage (7.5), Benno (4!!) Nothing is more
conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. ~
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Looking for a thinking moms list? see