Pros & Cons on owning a Chihuahua?

Old June 14th 05, 10:59 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:56 GMT, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
wrote:

I would LOVE to help a dog out. Unfortunately my home has 4 cats that are
VERY comfortable in this environment. Training a pup is hard work and it
takes a dedicated person to do it. I don't work and can be here ALL of the
time for the pup. *RE*-training 4 cats to accept a dog would be a totally
different thing.

i got elliott as a puppy. my three resident cats did *not* like him and
they did not learn to like him as he grew older. one cat sent him to
the vet on two occasions, nearly blinding him. the poor dog had never
said "boo" to any of the cats, even when he was hurt by them, so it's
not like he deserved their dislike.

fast forward five years.

enter harriet the 7mo bouncing Boxer. granted, 7 months is still a
puppy, but she was nearly her full grown size when i got her and Boxers
are puppies until they die. anyway, pandora, the cat who loathed dogs,
fell in instant love. harriet gets jealous of the cats, but pan is as
friendly and affectionate as could be with her.

there's no guarantee that your resident cats will like or ever adjust to
a puppy. or, that a puppy will grow up to be cat friendly because it
was raised with cats. your best bet is to work with a rescue group that
can thoroughly vet its dogs for cat-friendliness and who will let you
introduce the dog to your cats to see if they'll be compatible.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

You will find poetry nowhere unless you bring some of it with you.
-- Joseph Joubert

Old June 15th 05, 12:02 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:56 GMT ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ whittled these words:

I would LOVE to help a dog out. Unfortunately my home has 4 cats that are
VERY comfortable in this environment. Training a pup is hard work and it
takes a dedicated person to do it. I don't work and can be here ALL of the
time for the pup. *RE*-training 4 cats to accept a dog would be a totally
different thing.

I've had a lot of experience with dogs and cats. It is MUCH easier for
cats to accept dogs than puppies. In fact one of the considerations I had
when I was looking to fill the empty spot Oso left behind was making it
easy on the cats. And for that reason I did not look for a puppy.
Freeway was exactly the ticket. He was between 18 months and 3 years when
I adopted him. Maturity has the advantage of adding a degree of impulse
control and ability to follow direction.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 15th 05, 12:08 AM
Christy

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message

We're no longer complete strangers. I've called her at least 10 times and
we've talked a looooong time about puppies, dogs, cats, fibromyalgia,

social
security, vets, dog insurance, breeder clubs, organizations, rescue, etc.

So, how did she answer that question I suggested you ask her?

She's not a crappy breeder. I found a Chi club in my area, and she is

known
in there as a local Chi breeder for central & upstate NY.

So the sire and dam of this litter are finished CH, over 2 years of age,
health tested (OFA/BAER/CERF, etc) and the pet puppy is being sold on
limited registration? That's a better gauge of whether she's a crappy
breeder or not.

Fourteen day return policy if my vet finds the dog to have problems.

So, if your pup is crippled from luxating patellas and goes blind from
genetic problems at age 1, she says "ah, bummer, its been over two weeks!"
Great. Nope, not a crappy breeder at all. Rancid is more like it.

Her grandmother did it. She grew up with Chi's. She adores them. Her
mother and two brothers have them, etc., etc. I do not know if she is
breeding to 'better the breed'.

Then you haven't talked to her nearly enough. She's a BYB and you're too
ignorant, or stubborn, to see that. What a shame.

The quality of life for the pup I choose will be top notch.

Well, unless it has luxating patellas, legg-calves perth, etc.

Christy

Old June 15th 05, 12:36 AM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

It is absolutely amazing how critical most of you are. Mel, the 14 day deal
is for full money back. The very first thing she wanted to know from me was
'first right of refusal'. (Answering you kindly, btw).

There is nothing a newbie can say or do in here to get help. It's
criticism, after criticism. Happy was a puppy when I got him, and Sade', my
Ragdoll who was quite snooty, accepted him just fine. The others wanted to
sleep with him, play with him, etc.

I'm going on what I know and that it works in training a pup. I've passed
adoption contracts w/flying colors. `Guess all those folks in adoption and
rescue are apt to be ignorant too, huh?

Done here.

Mel... have a good summer. At least a "cool" front has come our way. We
got tons of rain last night w/more coming tonight. Finally!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~* Aloha!!!!!

"There is no remedy for love but to love more"...
~~Henry David Thoreau

Old June 15th 05, 01:01 AM

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
It is absolutely amazing how critical most of you are. Mel, the 14 day deal
is for full money back.

Ooooooh. Aaaaaahhh.

Look, there are specific things in your description of the
breeding and of the transaction that set off warning flags.
I don't think any breeder is perfect, but one area where you
should expect people to be particularly scrupulous is in
their reasons for breeding dogs in the first place. Clearly
you're determined to go through with the transaction, but
you're really not going about it very carefully.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related
Old June 15th 05, 02:58 AM
Christy

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message

There is nothing a newbie can say or do in here to get help.

When they absolutely refuse to listen or be educated, then no, they are
beyond help. Sucks, I agree, but whose fault is it exactly?

Christy

Old June 15th 05, 01:30 PM
Janet Puistonen

Christy wrote:
[...]

Your conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from what she said. You don't
know that this breeder would respond this way from the information the OP
gives. Perhaps if you rephrased your excellent point your intended audience
might be able to hear you more effectively. For example: "Many genetic
problems don't show up in the first two weeks. If your pup develops luxating
patellas or goes blind from genetic problems after that, what will this
breeder do? If the answer is "nothing," then this is not a good breeder. I
suggest you ask her what her policy is with genetic problems that show up
later, and --even better-- what she does to avoid them before she breeds."

Her grandmother did it. She grew up with Chi's. She adores them.
Her mother and two brothers have them, etc., etc. I do not know if
she is breeding to 'better the breed'.

Then you haven't talked to her nearly enough. She's a BYB and you're
too ignorant, or stubborn, to see that. What a shame.

How about "Then you haven't talked to her nearly enough. So far she sounds
like a BYB, a person who may like Chihuahuas, but isn't willing to put the
work into breeding them ethically. People like that, even if they have good
intentions, turn out lots of unhealthy, unsound puppies that go on to create
more like themselves, and many of them end up in shelters or mills. You have
to ask yourself whether you are willing to financially support someone like
that."

The quality of life for the pup I choose will be top notch.

Well, unless it has luxating patellas, legg-calves perth, etc.

In a subsequent post, you say, " When they absolutely refuse to listen or be
educated, then no, they
are beyond help. Sucks, I agree, but whose fault is it exactly?"

I'd suggest that if your goal is to educate--and I'm sure it is--that you
consider whether the way you're going about it is effective. Look, on the
facts, you and everyone else here is correct. (And although I am responding
to your post, I don't mean to single you out.) I agree completely. But it
isn't you or I that is going to suffer if people who have been met with a
barrage of insults just leave without taking in any information. Think of
dog training. Treat them like dogs that need training. Be patient. Give pats
for good baby steps.

I'm sorry to act like a net nanny, but I've just see this pattern over and
over again in this NG over the years, and it gets to me.

Old June 15th 05, 02:02 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 12:30 wrote:

I'd suggest that if your goal is to educate--and I'm sure it
is--that you consider whether the way you're going about it
is effective.

or her goal may be to vent her frustration at people
who--though they claim to know better--seem bent on doing
detriment to dogs. i dunno. then again, Christy *is* easily
amused, so perhaps her real goal is to entertain herself?

I'm sorry to act like a net nanny, but I've just see this
pattern over and over again in this NG over the years, and it
gets to me.

i can't find any educational posts--patiently praising or
otherwise--from you to the OP.

if the tone of certain posts bothers you and strikes you as
counter productive, then it seems to me that the best solution
would be to lead by example. if you are unwilling to offer up
the sort of advice that you feel is appropriate, the remaining
options are for the OP to get *no* help or for the OP to get
help with a side of attitude.

http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 15th 05, 02:19 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 08:09 wrote:

Perhaps not to THAT individual, but to others.

i'm referring to posts specifically to Laurie. it always
strikes me as a bit odd when someone complains about others
neglecting to provide what that s/he has not her/himself
provided.

Old June 15th 05, 02:27 PM

on 2005-06-15 at 08:20 wrote:

of course. Everything strikes you as odd... doesn't it.

if you insist?