rec.pets.dogs: Klee Kai Breed-FAQ

Old October 19th 05, 05:37 AM
Carroll Parkison

Default rec.pets.dogs: Klee Kai Breed-FAQ

Archive-name: dogs-faq/breeds/klee-kai
Posting-frequency: 30 days
Last-modified: 10 Nov 1997

=======
There are nearly 100 FAQ's available for this group. For a complete
listing of these, get the "Complete List of RPD FAQs". This article
is posted bimonthly in rec.pets.dogs, and is available via anonymous ftp
to rtfm.mit.edu under pub/usenet/news.answers/dogs-faq/faq-list, via
the Web at http://www.zmall.com/pet_talk/dog-fa.../faq-list.html, or
via email by sending your message to with
send usenet/news.answers/dogs-faq/faq-list
in the body of the message.

This article is Copyright 1997 by the Author(s) listed below.
It may be freely distributed on the Internet in its entirety without
alteration provided that this copyright notice is not removed.
It may NOT reside at another website (use links, please) other
than the URL listed above without the permission of the Author(s).
This article may not be sold for profit nor incorporated in other
documents without he Author(s)'s permission and is provided "as is"
without express or implied warranty.
==========

The Klee Kai

Author

Carroll L. Parkison
Carroll's Klee Kai
WACO WINN Line
1108 NE Brown Rd.
Washougal, WA 98671

Table of Contents

* Description
* History
* Characteristics
* Care and Training
* General Health
* Frequently Asked Questions
* Klee Kai National Kennel Club and Rescue
* Klee Kai National Kennel Club Standard

Description

The Klee Kai was bred down from Siberian and Alaskan Huskies, along
with the help of a Schipperke and American Eskimo to downsize without
dwarfism. As such you will find the same characteristics as are found
in the huskies. They are curious, tenacious, extremely strong for
their size, crafty hunters and escape artists. The Klee Kai is a very
energetic dog; however, not the typically "hyper" little dog. They are
beautiful and proud.

The name "Klee Kai" is derived from Eskimo words meaning "small dog".
There are approximately 500 of these dogs in existence in the world.

History

There was an accidental mating in Wasilla Alaska in the mid 70's.
Linda Spurlin, the developer of the Klee Kai breed saw this little dog
that looked like a Husky and thought that this would be the perfect
apartment sized dog. She set about perfecting the breed. She spent
those first years without any return on her investment, loving these
little creatures that she had created. She had rough times and years
of work invested. She sold her first dog for the purpose of breeding
in December 1988.

Characteristics

Coat and Grooming

The Klee Kai, like the Siberian Husky, is relatively easy to care for.
They are extremely clean. Most don't like wet feet and will spend
hours daily grooming themselves. They do not have a "doggy odor" nor
do they have "dog breath." Most Klee Kai will seldom require a bath.

As in Siberians and unlike short haired dogs who shed all year long,
the Klee Kai also blows their coat twice a year. Of course, the size
of the dogs limit the amount of fur blown. It is best to groom the dog
on a regular basis during this time. Some of the longer haired dogs
can become matted if not groomed. Most Klee Kai will assist the loss
of hair by rubbing against things such as fences.

Other than this period of blowing coat, the Klee Kai is very self
sufficient. The normal preventative measures should be taken, such as
trimming of nails, normal grooming in the form of brushing. This
process is especially important in the bonding process.

Temperament

A Klee Kai in your home means that you are never alone. They make you
laugh even if you don't want to and can soothe a heart broken for
whatever reason. They become a very integral part of the family that
chooses to adopt one.

This is a very intelligent dog. I have actually seen a male dog
unweave a chain link fence to get to the female next to him. I have
seen a female pull the fence in so the male could squeeze under the
fence. They love to be with their people. If they are put in a climate
that is unpleasant for them, they will find a way out of it.

Unlike the Siberian Husky, the Klee Kai is standoffish and suspicious
of strangers. They do make extremely good watch dogs. They will let
you know when some one is around and seldom bark at nothing. I am sure
that they would give their lives protecting their loved ones. Klee Kai
do not like being treated like a toy. They want to be treated with
respect. Since children will sometimes encroach on that wish, only
children who know how to treat animals are their preferred companions.
These dogs do tend to be a little dog aggressive if not socialized
properly. By this I mean to convey that the Klee Kai can be nice to
strange dogs as long as the stranger has good intentions. The Klee Kai
are generally self assured around strange dogs but will return in kind
any acts of aggression. The Klee Kai is uncomfortable when his master
is not around. They would much rather travel with him/her and do so
easily. The Klee Kai portrait would be incomplete without conveying
his love and passionate affection for his master and family members.

Klee Kai are hunters. If raised or introduced correctly, a Klee Kai
can live with cats and in a household with birds. Of course it would
be prudent for the owner not to leave birds running loose around the
house, or to leave a Klee Kai unattended in a room with gerbils,
hamsters, etc. Their hunting instinct is very keen and they have been
known to make a meal of them. Once I had a gerbil running around in
one of those clear balls, the Klee Kai was in the house and I was on
the phone. I heard the dog banging the ball around but figured the
gerbil was safe. Next thing I know, my granddaughter comes running in
the house crying that Sitka is eating the gerbil. That was the last
gerbil in our house. I have also had one of my climbers get on top of
a bird cage which was hanging from a stand. She simply climbed upon
the table then leaped to the top of the cage. I have had many Klee Kai
placed in homes in which there were cats, I've even had a dam nurse
abandoned kittens. There are some that just cannot be trusted. I will
usually know those dogs before they leave my house.

Barking, Talking, and Howling

As stated above, the Klee Kai is not a habitual barker. They are
talkers and sometimes remind their owners of living with a teenager.
Klee Kais love to have the last word, even as they obey the command
about which they are complaining. Klee Kai are packish as is the
Siberian. Typically, you can find a kennel of Klee Kai singing
together either early in the morning or at night when the coyotes are
too close. They start and stop howling as if on cue. They also tend to
be rather psychic. They know when feeding time is, even if this is not
a scheduled event. They can sense when something is wrong even when
they are removed from the household as in the kennels.

Care and Training

Feeding

I have found that this breed does best on a food consisting of chicken
and rice. They need a premium food. No cheap dog food for them. A good
name brand is best. They require much fuel to provide energy for their
antics. The Klee Kai is a social eater. When raised in kennels, they
tend to eat best while being cared for but gain the bulk of their
weight when in the home with their family. Generally speaking, it is
best to feed puppies on a schedule to facilitate "potty training".
Puppies should be feed at least three times a day. Adults may be fed
once per day. Most people who own Klee Kais will self feed once the
dog is housetrained. They do not "chow down" and tend to be social
eaters. Because of this, they seldom put on excess weight. These dogs
love fruits and vegetables such as peas, corn, peaches, bananas, stir
fry and many other varieties.

Living Situation

Klee Kai are very much family dogs. They can stand the cold as is
exhibited by the fact that they were developed in Alaska. Their
typical housing there was a dog house filled with straw. However, they
are happiest with their people. Doggie doors are great for these dogs.
They like to be able to come in to check on their people occasionally.
They are very good with small children and even babies. There have
been reports of Klee Kai watching the baby in the house then going out
to get the parent when the baby cried. There have been dams that
nursed kittens. There have been dogs who lived when they should have
been dead. They are an extremely sturdy little dog.

Fences will not hold an unhappy Klee Kai. Most Klee Kai that have been
returned by their families have come from a home which ended up in
separation. They are extremely sensitive to disharmony and don't like
it. They also will leave a home where they are kept in the yard
without having visits to the house to be with their families. They are
easily kennel or crate trained; however, don't lock them in a room.
Walls and fences were made to go over, under or through. As with the
the Siberian Husky, a fenced yard is necessary for an outside dog. The
fence should be strong and 6 feet tall. There should be wire in the
ground to inhibit digging out. Klee Kai like to dig dens; therefore,
it would be a good idea to have an area that would allow this activity
without destroying an entire yard. As with all dogs, a kennel area is
desirable for a dog that has the habit of escaping. The kennel area
should be made of chain link, over a concrete pad. The fence should be
6 feet tall and covered since Klee Kai are climbers. They will need a
dog house but will spend most of their time sunning themselves on the
roof top. They like to be "King of the Mountain" and therefore always
choose the highest point available to perch.

Training

Even through these dogs were bred down from Siberians, they make very
good obedience dogs. They want to please their owners. Combine that
with being extremely smart and there is nothing that they cannot
learn. You should start obedience early. Establish the rules and stick
to them. Let your Klee Kai know that you are the boss. Don't let your
dog do something as a puppy that you don't want him/her to do as an
adult. If you give in even once, you have established that the rules
were made to be broken. Once you have taught your dog to perform a
certain behavior, expect him/her to do it all the time, so don't let
him/her do anything that you don't want him/her to do because it will
be very difficult to undo that training.

Klee Kai are pack oriented; therefore, you must establish yourself as
the pack leader. It is not necessary to do the alpha roll that is
commonly referred to. You just have to inspire respect, not bully the
dog into submission. That tactic can make a resentful, unpredictable
dog. Treat your dog with respect and expect the same. If you train
your puppy correctly he/she will follow you anywhere. In that vein,
training classes not only teach the puppy to socialize and respond to
you even with distractions, but it also teaches you and everyone else
in the family the correct commands to use and how to get your pup to
respond. Consistency is extremely important and training classes give
the family a place to practice with someone who is available to
reinforce the correct training techniques. The training period is also
a bonding experience. You will find that your Klee Kai wants to be the
best at everything.

Agility for these dogs is a great challenge. All they have to do is
watch another dog perform on the A-frame or the Bridge and they will
follow without human direction. This is the type of training that is
fun and productive. Both the owner and the dog have fun learning and
following the rules. You will find that challenging your dog is the
best way to keep him/her from getting bored and into trouble.

The worst thing that you can do is spoil these precious little dogs.
Many people get one of these dogs and treat them like their "baby".
Dogs don't understand their role if it is supposed to be your baby.
Its a dog and only knows how to be one. When put in this kind of
position, your dog can become willful, aggressive and in general
unpleasant to be around.

General Health

These dogs have been remarkably free of genetic defects. We only allow
serious breeders to buy un-neutered dogs. All puppies are sold on
spay/neuter contracts, co-ownerships or to approved serious breeders.
I believe that this is the reason for the lack of flaws. We have had
an occasional undershot jaw, cryptorchidism and in the past there have
been dogs that had to have baby teeth pulled that didn't come out.

Sometimes shyness can be a problem: both parents should be outgoing
and friendly and show no traces of shyness or fear (not to be mistaken
for aloofness).

Careful attention must be paid to the patella. It is very easy to
develop luxating patellas in the smaller dogs, therefore, extra care
must be given to the possible tendencies in our breeding stock. You
should check that any pup you are considering has had its parents
screened for luxating patellas by a veterinarian.

However, most breeders are very careful, and for this reason, a Klee
Kai is remarkably problem free medically speaking.

Frequently Asked Questions

_How did they get them so small? _

When the breed was just beginning we believe that a Schipperke and
an American Husky were used to bring the size of the Siberian Husky
down.

_Can you get a Klee Kai with blue eyes? _

Yes, Klee Kai can have one or both blue eyes. They may also have an
eye that is only part blue and the other part brown. In The
Siberian this is called a "pinto eye", "parti eye", or "split eye."
There is nothing wrong with the eye: the dog can see perfectly
clearly. This is a common trait in the Siberian Husky and in the
Klee Kai.

_Most little dogs are yappy and hyper, how are the Klee Kai
temperaments?_

Klee Kai have a big dog bark. Occasionally we get a screamer or
bugler as I call it. This tone is saved for an alarm. Klee Kai are
very busy dogs, but not hyper. They are impish and creative. They
will keep their owners on their toes. It was reported that one dog
was able to get into a dishwasher where a treat had been hidden.

_How do Klee Kai stand the cold? _

Since the breed was developed in Alaska, they are extremely hardy
and tolerant to cold. In the snow they will alternate which paw is
on the ground, thus minimizing the chances for frostbite. You will
note that the Klee Kai is double coated. A gray and white Klee Kai
will have a white undercoat. A black and white Klee Kai will have a
white undercoat. The wolf gray and white Klee Kai will have a gray
undercoat. A red and white Klee Kai will have a white undercoat.
The undercoat is important for protection against cold and heat.
The longer guard hairs protect the Klee Kai from moisture. Twice a
year the Klee Kai will shed its undercoat over a two to three week
period.

_I live in Mexico, how will a Klee Kai do in hot weather? _

Klee Kai just like other dogs, need plenty of water and shade
during the summer. A child's swimming pool is a great way for the
dog to cool off. Keeping a dog in a car, crate or any other
enclosure during the summer can cause heat exhaustion. Without air
circulation, the dog's own body heat can be too much. As with any
other dog, don't overheat the dog by encouraging excessive
exercising during the heat of the day. Klee Kai like to eat ice,
and especially appreciate it in the summer time. The Klee Kai will
shed its coat prior to summer and does not need to be shaved. This
is not necessary and is discouraged. Common sense should prevail,
don't put your dog in a situation that you yourself could not
tolerate.

_How are they with kids? _

Klee Kai love kids and do great with them as long as the child has
been taught to respect the dog and not tease it. These dogs are
small enough that an out of control child could cause serious
damage. Most Klee Kai would give a child enough leeway that the
child could cause serious damage before the dog could run. Good
owners make good dogs. They do seem to have this sixth sense about
the intentions of a child and will usually avoid a child with bad
intentions.

_Is a yard big enough for a Klee Kai? _

Yes, even though they require a lot of exercise, they will
accomplish this in a nice sized yard. If there is more than one
dog, they will play chase. If not, they will chase birds or birds
shadows, grasshoppers, snakes, or anything else that looks like it
should be chased. They can also be kept in an apartment, they were
bred to be apartment sized huskies, if the owner is sure to walk
the dog at least three times a day.

_Do they shed a lot? _

Yes, they shed twice a year. They blow their coat each time and
require plenty of brushing during this period. Of course when you
are looking at a 10 to 20 pound dog, there isn't nearly as much
hair as regular sized husky. I have allergies and these dogs don't
aggravate them, so some people who are allergic to dogs may be able
to tolerate these, probably because they are such clean dogs.

_How are they with other dogs? _

Many, not all, Klee Kai are aggressive toward other dogs unless
they are well socialized as puppies. These dogs will tend to pick
up the characteristics of an older dog if raised around one.

_How miniature are they? _

The average Klee Kai is between 10 and 20 pounds, and 12 and 15
inches.

_Who should not own a Klee Kai?_

Anyone who wants to treat their dog like their baby is asking for
trouble. Anyone who can't stand hair should not have a Klee Kai.
Anyone who can't stand doggy kisses certainly doesn't want a Klee
Kai. Anyone who can't be consistent should not own a Klee Kai.
Anyone who does not like to draw attention to themselves because
everyone who sees a Klee Kai wants to know what it is, where they
can get one and how much they cost nor anyone who just wants a
status symbol.

_Is this breed recognized by the AKC?_

We have applied for AKC recognition and are waiting for a response
at the present time. We have had many people who are wanting to
breed the Klee Kai, who also want to be able to show our dogs, thus
the application. We are also looking at some people in other
countries who want to get involved in the breed but cannot use any
other venue besides AKC and FIC to show their dogs. In order to
provide the best possible situation for people all over the world I
think it is in our best interest to become involved with the
American Kennel Club. Klee Kai National Kennel Club will still
require all dogs to pass the present criteria in order to be
registered as breeding quality or show quality dogs.

Klee Kai National Kennel Club and Rescue

_Klee Kai National Kennel Club and Rescue_
Corresponding Secretary, Carroll Parkison, 1108 NE Brown Rd.,
Washougal, WA 98671.

The Klee Kai National Kennel Club was actually formed in August of
1995. This was the first time that a standard was voted on and by-laws
were created. At this particular time the club meets officially once
per year at the Klee Kai Picnic. The meeting and picnic have been
combined. We have many members throughout the USA. I think in the
future, I would like to arrange for national meetings on the Internet.

At this time, the breed is new enough that there is no distributed
literature about the Klee Kai. The closest you can get would be to get
a Siberian Husky book. Some things are different, but the majority of
what you read about them will hold true with the Klee Kai. Klee Kai
don't run away from a good home and they don't mistake intruders as
friends.

Klee Kai National Kennel Club Standard

The breed standard is the recipe, if you will, for a perfect specimen
of that breed. This standard is the vehicle used to judge all dogs of
that breed. Every good breeder strives to come as close to perfect as
possible.

Breed Description:

_Original Purpose:_ The Klee Kai was developed as a companion dog by
Linda Spurlin.

_Breed History:_ These dogs were bred down from Siberian Huskies.

_Earliest History:_ Mid 1970

_Country of Origin:_ The United States of America, specifically
Wasilla, Alaska.

General Appearance

The Klee Kai is a small domestic dog, quick and light on his feet and
free and graceful in motion. His moderately compact, well-furred body,
erect ears and fox-like tail suggests his Northern heritage, as in the
Siberian Husky. His body proportions and form reflect his basic
heritage of balance of power, speed and endurance. Pulling is a strong
instinct and can be done in proportion even by this small dog. In
proper condition the Klee Kai has well-developed firm muscles and does
not carry excess weight.

Mask

The facial mask is a distinctive trait of this breed and must be
clearly visible due to contrasting colors. Different combinations of
mask markings are possible. A full mask being having contrasting color
on the head, under the eyes, down the nose and framing the face. A
three-quarter mask is the same but lacking color underneath the eyes.
A half mask is lacking the color over and under the eyes, a Widow's
Peak which is the least desirable has only contrasting color on the
head and framing the face. The lighter contrasting, facial area must
extend back to cover the jaw bones and down to cover the area under
the chin. It is not mandatory, but is desirable to have light spots
above the eyes. It is also mandatory to have a dark strip down the
center of the muzzle. A blaze centered in the middle of the forehead
is allowed. The fur on the inside of the ears should be of the same
lighter contrasting color as the facial mask.

_DISQUALIFICATIONS:_ A muzzle the same color all the way down the
nose, or having a small amount of contrasting color over the lips (as
in a fox mask). The color under the eyes extends more than half of the
way to the end of the nose (as in a fox mask). The color under the
eyes extends more than half of the way to the end of the nose (as in a
non-existent or unbalanced mask).

Size

_Height and Weight_: Height is measured from the withers to the
ground. The Klee Kai shoudl be proportionate in size, neither
appearing too heavy or too thin.

Toy
Up to and including 13 inches.

Miniature
Over 13 inches and up to and including 15inches.

Standard
Over 15 inches up to and including 17 inches.

Oversize
Over 17 inches up to and including 18 inches

If this oversized category continually throws dogs larger than the
standard allows, then he/she should lose its breeding status but not
its showing sttatus. If the owner breaks the ban on puppies forthis
animal then he/she will also lose its showing status.

Weight is in proportion to height.

The weights and measurements mentioned above represent the extreme
height and weight limits, with no preference give to either extreme.

_DISQUALIFICATION_: Dogs and bitches over 18 inches at the withers.

Head

_Eyes_ Almond shaped or oval to moderately round, moderately spaced.
The expression is keen, but friendly, interested and even mischievous,
opened wide and bright.

_Eye Color_ - may be brown or blue in color, one of each or
parti-colored are acceptable. _Faults:_ Eyes set too obliquely; set
too close together, so round as to appear bulging.

_Skull_ - Of small size and in proportion to the body, slightly
rounded on top and tapering gradually from the widest point to the
eyes. It should measure five-eighths to one-half of head from stop to
occiput. The stop must be clearly defined but not too steep. The lips
should be tight fitting over a scissors bite. _Faults:_ Head clumsy or
too heavy for the body hinting at dwarfism. A major fault is a snow
nose (pink streaked). A straight bite or a cross scissors bite is a
fault.

_DISQUALIFICATIONS:_ A nose any complete color other than black or
chocolate in the case of a red coated dog.

_Muzzle_ Of medium length, that is, the distance from the tip of the
nose to the stop is equal to the distance from the stop to the occip
ut or slightly less as in three-eighths of the head. The stop is
well-defined but not pronounced and should slope into the skull. The
bridge is straight from the stop to the tip. The muzzle is of medium
width, tapering gradually to the nose, with the tip neither too
pointed nor too short and square. The lips are well-pigmented and
close fitting, teeth closing in a scissors bite. _Faults:_ Muzzle
either too sharp or too broad, too short or too long, insufficient or
prominent stop; any bite other than scissors.

_DISQUALIFICATION:_ - Overshot or undershot jaw.

_Nose_ - Black or chocolate in red dogs.

_Ears_ Of medium to slightly large size but in proportion, triangular
in shape, close fitting and set high on the head. They are thick,
well-furred, slightly arched at the back, and strongly erect, with
slightly rounded tips pointing straight up and foxlike. The inside
base of the ears should be straight up from between the center and
inner edge of each eye. _Faults:_ Ears too large in proportion to the
head, too wide-set; not strongly erect or any color contrasting or not
other than the contrasting color on the rest of the body.

_DISQUALIFICATION:_Ears that are not strongly erect.

Cosmetic Surgery is not allowed except that dew claws may be removed.

_Color_ All colors from black to lightest gray, sable in varying
degrees, and all white is acceptable as long as the dog is not albino.
All white dogs are not allowed to breed with all white dogs. Markings
on all parts of the body must appear to be balanced and pleasing to
the eye. A variety of markings is common, however, each side should
mirror the other. The lips should be black except in the case of a red
dog, then the lips may be chocolate.

_DISQUALIFICATIONS:_A white cape. Any markings on the coat that are
not symmetrical. A dog of any solid color which results in no mask
and/or no contrasting color on the legs and undertrim except a white
dog unless it is albino. Definite contrasting spots anywhere on the
coat (other than over the eyes, a blaze in the middle of the forehead
or a white tip at the end of the tail).

Coat

The coat of the Klee Kai is double and normally medium in length
though long-haired Klee Kai are perfectly acceptable, giving a
well-furred appearance, but is never so long as to obscure the
clean-cut outline of the dog. The undercoat is soft and dense and of
sufficient length to support the outer coat. The guard hairs of the
outer coat are straight and somewhat smooth -lying, never harsh nor
standing straight off from the body. It should be noted that the
absence of the undercoat during shedding season is normal. Trimming
fur of the paws and between the toes to present a neater appearance is
permissible. Trimming of the fur on any other part of the dog is not
to be condoned and should be severely penalized.

_Faults:_ Extremely long, rough or shaggy coat, texture too harsh or
too flat, the coat being such as to obscure the shape of the dog and
trimming of the coat, except as permitted above.

_Temperament_ The characteristic temperament is friendly but
protective of territory and family, but is also alert and outgoing
once introduced, is otherwise standoffish of strangers and is
aggressive toward trespassers whether human or animal. He is defensive
with other dogs. His loyalty and loving nature make him a great
companion.

Body

_Neck_ Medium in length, that is approximately one-third of body
length, arched and carried proudly erect when dog is standing. When
moving at a trot, the neck is extended so that the head is carried
slightly forward . _Faults:_ - Neck too short and thick; neck too
long.

_Shoulders_ The shoulder blade is well laid back as an angle of
approximately 45 degrees to the ground. The upper arc angles slightly
backward from point of shoulder to elbow, and is never perpendicular
to the ground. The muscles and ligaments holding the shoulder to the
rib cage are firm and well-developed. _Faults:_ - Straight shoulders;
loose shoulders.

_Chest_ Deep and strong well muscled but not too broad, with the
deepest point being just behind and slightly above the elbows to
one-half of the distance from the withers to ground. The ribs are
well-sprung from the spine but are slightly above the elbows to
one-half of the distance from the withers to ground. The ribs are
well-sprung from the spine but are slightly rounded at the sides.
_Faults:_ Chest too broad, "barrel ribs," ribs too flat or weak.

_Back_ The back is straight with a level topline from withers to
croup. The length of the body from the sternum to the buttocks is an
inch or two longer than the withers to the ground It may be neither
cobby nor slack from being too long in the body. The loin is taut and
lean, slightly narrower than the rib cage, and with a slight tuck-up.
The croup sloped away from the spine at an angle, but never so steeply
as to restrict the rearward thrust of the hind legs. In profile, it is
of medium length giving an almost square appearance. _Faults:_ - Weak
or slack back; roached back; sloping topline.

Legs and Feet

_Forelegs_ When standing and viewed from the front, the legs are
moderately spaced, parallel and straight, with elbows close to the
body and turned neither in nor out. Viewed from the side, pasterns are
slightly slanted, with pastern joint strong, but flexible. Bone is
substantial, but never heavy or fragile. Length of the leg from elbow
to ground is one half or slightly less than half the distance from
withers to ground erring only to slightly long in the leg. Dewclaws on
the forelegs and hind legs may be removed. _Faults:_ Weak pasterns,
too heavy bone; too narrow or too wide in the front; elbows turned in
or out. Bones so petite and fragile looking so as to defy the heritage
of the Siberian Husky. Excessively long in the leg so as to look like
stilts.

_Hindquarters_ When standing and viewed from the rear, the hind legs
are moderately spaced and parallel. The upper thighs are well-muscled,
the stifles well-bent, the hock joint well-defined and set low to the
ground. Dewclaws (if any) should be removed. The overall picture of
the hindquarters should exhibit some degree of power as the Klee Kai
was originally developed from working breeds of the Arctic regions._
Faults:_ Too narrow or too wide in the rear._ Major faults:_ Are
Straight stifles and cowhocks.

_Feet_ Oval in shape, but not long. The paws are small in size but not
fragile looking, compact and well-furred between the toes and pad s.
The pads are tough and thickly cushioned. The paws turn neither in nor
out when dog is in natural stance. _Faults:_ Soft or splayed toes,
paws too large and clumsy, paws too fragile, toeing in or out.

_Tail_ The tail should be moderately long with the tail bone
terminating slightly longer than the hock when down, but at least long
enough to curl over the back and still touch the back. It should be
profusely covered with long hair. _FAULT:_ A tail that flags only.

_TESTICLES:_ Male dogs must have had, and have been able to retain
both testicles in the scrotal sac unless there has been accidental
damage causing the dog to lose one or more. This fact must have been
documented by a Vet. _Faults:_ A double hook or laying flat on the
back. The judge should see the tail over the back at least once during
competition.

_DISQUALIFICATIONS:_ A tail that is not long enough to curl up to
touch the back.

_Gait_ The Klee Kai's characteristic gait is prancing or deerlike. The
forelegs and hind legs are carried straight forward, with neither
elbows nor stifles turned in or out. While the dog is gaiting, the
topline remains firm and level. _Faults:_ Lumbering or rolling gait;
crossing, or crabbing.

Summary

The most important breed characteristics in the Klee Kai are toy to
oversize in size, making both great house and lap dogs, small bone
well-balanced proportions, ease and freedom of movement, proper coat,
pleasing head and ears, the appearance of laughing at times of play,
curled fox-like tail, intelligent demeanor and good family
disposition. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight, constricted
or clumsy gait, or long, rough coat should be penalized. In both sexes
the Klee Kai gives the appearance of being quick but not light and
fragile as to suggest a sprint-racing animal. He is a hunter; birds,
squirrels, mice, etc. and is smart enough to overcome any of his
shortcomings such as size, speed, etc.

In addition to the faults already noted, obvious structural faults
common to all breeds are as undesirable in the Klee Kai as in any
other breed, even though they are not specifically mentioned herein.

_PUPPIES:_ Puppies are judged as closely to adult standards as
possible. Unless the pup is a black and white it must be noted that
Klee Kai puppies do not get their adult color until approximately six
months of age. The density of the coat is not that of the adult for
approximately one year. Occasionally the color under the eyes will
show up at closer to one year old. The puppy's tail can change
dramatically when the adult coat comes in. The mask; however, should
be in place much earlier. Male puppies should have both testicles in
the scrotal sac by six months of age.

Klee Kai FAQ
Carroll Parkison,