rescued a lab tonight.. any advice?

Old February 10th 13, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
[email protected]

Default rescued a lab tonight.. any advice?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 10:02:23 PM UTC-4, Bre wrote:
Hi all,
Yesterday I got a call about a yellow male lab pup ( 7 months old ) that
the owners no longer wanted and did I want to have a look at him? Well
we have been talking about getting another lab to go with our girl Caley
but our plan was next year.
Well the best laid plans ......
My husband and I went to see the lab this evening and I could not leave
the dog there, I had to take him. He was being crated 20 hours out of
24..... His name was Riley but I have decided to change it to Chance
(for second chance at a good life). He is a doll and is starved for
attention. Overweight and under exercised.....

He has never slept outside of a crate and I don't have one so tonight
should be fun... The woman who had him wanted to sell me his crate but
it could have been the last crate on the planet and I would not have
bought it from her.
She said she could not handle the dog and that she thought labs were
quiet dogs, at least her bosses was.. sigh

She wanted $300 for the dog even though she didn't want him anymore and
my husband got her down to $50.

My plan is to treat the pup as if he is totally untrained and start at
the beginning with him. Although he does know the sit and down
commands. The owners just wanted to get rid of him so I do not trust
anything that they said about him.

My girl is busy playing with him and putting him in his place when he
tries to mount her. I have let her handle that and she seems to be doing
a good job there. I will make a vet appointment in the morning for him
and get him neutered ASAP.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have never
owned two dogs at once.

Bre

--

On the Ladder of Knowledge, the top is not in reach.
Be brave enough to ask and kind enough to teach.

Great Job! If I can help please Drop me a line. I have a problem That I need help with myself . I have rescude many dogs In my lifetime(I have 6 dogs),and if anybody is up at this time I could really need some help.

A brief overview: Extream malnutrishion ,ingourged red mammery glands teets are Bleeding.Eight pups with full sets of teeth
Old February 10th 13, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:52:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A brief overview: Extream malnutrishion ,ingourged red mammery glands teets are Bleeding.Eight pups with full sets of teeth and their nails have never been tremed! HELP

an theirN
Old February 10th 13, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Jo Wolf

NEWLY ADOPTED LAB PUPPY

There is a wide streak of "stupid" in the population. Betcha her boss's
dog was 8-10 years old, and/or obedience trained.....

You still need a crate to help this poor kiddo make the transition to a
freer life, for the rare occasion when he needs crate rest for illness
or a strain or sprain, to finish up his housetraining, and for basic
SAFETY when you cannot supervise him DIRECTLY. And for your vehicle.
Remember, he's a wild child! And Labs are notorious chewers and
consumers of things they shouldn't be eating and that can be dangerous.

MOM DOG RESCUE WITH PUPPIES

TO THE VET on MONDAY! And it's time to wean those dragon jawed-
youngsters.

Use the puppy formula (bitch's milk replacer) canned liquid or powder to
combine with good quality dry food for the pups ( petstore). Initially,
turn it into combination similar to a cream soup, then thicken over
several days. Feed 4-6 times a day. Gonna be messy at first.

Mom may require more careful feeding.... multiple small meals a day of
high quality dog food (NOT from the supermarket), might even add some of
the puppy formula.... but DISCUSS with VET and follow directions.

Vet MAY recommend warm soaks for her breasts several times a day until
the teats begin to heal. May put her on antibiotics, which means
automatic weaning of the pups, and keeping them away from her until
she's been off antibiotics for 5-10 days.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 12th 14, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
[email protected]

ts funny what people do to dogs over here
in Africa. I was suprised to see that people
eat their pets here and am scare for my two
little puppies. so any one willing to adopt
them, email me or call me. I work in Africa.
email.

Chow Tonight Phred Dog breeds 0 July 30th 08 11:30 AM
Herding on Letterman tonight Gwen Watson Dog behavior 107 November 18th 03 02:58 PM
Final outcome (for now) rescued cocker spanial -- need quick advice buglady Dog health 0 July 16th 03 12:04 PM
rescued cocker spanial -- need quick advice culprit Dog health 4 July 16th 03 12:03 AM