Dog trainer research survey

Old September 4th 13, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Dog trainer research survey

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

--

Hey there. The hell with the folks who say we can't turn this into pet
chat.

How'd it turn out with your dogs?

After Unca Sammy died, 2.5 years later Aunti Mabel passed. We added
Iowna in May. She's blind in her remaning eye (gentimycin treated) but
our main problem is she is utterly bold and climbs stuff.

Iowna is 11yo and went blind age 9. She was past all the drama before
we got her.

She settled right in with Cash and Daisy-chan.

Carol
Old September 4th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

cshenk wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Umm, no text?

Carol

Old September 6th 13, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

--

Hey there. The hell with the folks who say we can't turn this into pet
chat.

How'd it turn out with your dogs?

After Unca Sammy died, 2.5 years later Aunti Mabel passed. We added
Iowna in May. She's blind in her remaning eye (gentimycin treated) but
our main problem is she is utterly bold and climbs stuff.

Iowna is 11yo and went blind age 9. She was past all the drama before
we got her.

She settled right in with Cash and Daisy-chan.

Carol

Hi Carol,
Well done for adopting elderly, disabled dogs!
I have three dogs now. I have old Dibby , who is chi sized and in his
mid teens. he was attacked by two dogs a few weeks ago and lucky not to
have had stitches. Poor baby ! Pip who is a JRt x about 4 now and he is a
good dog and most recently Libby, a "rough haired" Chi who is about 18
months who is a real madam but very cute ! She is house trained now and
less reactive to people but tends to do her nut when she sees other dogs .

Alison

Old September 6th 13, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
news
cshenk wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Umm, no text?

Carol

LOL I couldn't be bothered. I didn't think anyone read RPDB or newsgroups
anymore!

I do pet and rescue fourms but more people tend to to do Facebook so they
are not as busy as they used to be either.
I've noticed Jo Wolf doesn't post here any more. O hope she is ok . She
always offered sensible advice.

Alison

Old September 18th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

"cshenk" wrote in message
news
cshenk wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Umm, no text?

Carol

LOL I couldn't be bothered. I didn't think anyone read RPDB or
newsgroups anymore!

I do pet and rescue fourms but more people tend to to do Facebook so
they are not as busy as they used to be either. I've noticed Jo Wolf
doesn't post here any more. O hope she is ok . She always offered
sensible advice.

Alison

Hi!

I'm slower here too because so few posts.

I want to tell you on the fantastic dogs I have had since last really
being here.

When Unca Sammy was here at his last month or so we adopted Aunti
Mabel. She was an accident where we were just the right home to be her
furever home (grin).

Aunti Mabel lived 2.5 years here and finally passed on at what was
probably age 20 (yes, that is vet estimate, some breeds live longer).
I miss her but it was expected. She passed quietly with only a few
hours confusion after several apparent strokes. She was scheduled for
a mastectomy the day before the strokes hit but no longer surgically
eligible and the cancer would have caused her needless suffering.

She graced our lives every day she was with us.

Enter Iowna Link. EQUALLY AWESOME! She turned 11 on 2 July 2013 (we
got her in May 2013). It's our first time with a blind dog but she's
as perfect as you can get for us. She's itty bitty at a mere 13.5 lbs
(slightly overweight at that). This lovely lady waited 2 years to find
a home.

Shes a real live AKC registered show dog although for agility not size
(she's under classic of the lower beagle type). I have records this
time back to her birth. She was the show dog used by a show trainer on
what he could do with a dog. No, she's not Benji level but she's
really good.

She loves cats and climbing and gets along with all fellow beagles so
fit right in.

The hardest bit was keeping her from climbing bookshelves (she'd get to
the 3rd level with no bungee cords wrapped about the shelf, 4th with
them which was in attempt to keep her off them that back fired).

Oh, she had glaucoma and one eye was removed and the other treated
(blind before reated) so is stable. That was in 2009.

Anyways, that's our life here now.

Carol

Old September 18th 13, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_3_]

cshenk wrote:

Alison wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

"cshenk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sorry about Aunt Mabel, but of course it was to be expected. Glad to
hear about Iowna Link.
Old September 21st 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Hehe sounds like a cute trio there!

I was a little worried that Cash and Iowna might not mix well because
of the huge size difference. We decided with the vet's concurrance to
drop Cash's weight a bit more to take some stress off his joints so
while 52 lbs is his optimal weight based on build, there was leeway to
trim him down to 48-49 lbs. He's a little underweight now but seems
more comfortable. Still very little undertuck but his body shape
doesn't lead to that. The vet has a new forumla of GSM that is
apparently pork bone based and it seems to help so he's back on it plus
our normal bone broths. Anyways, it's pretty funny to see a 13.5 lb
beagle with a basically 50 lb beagle (mix).

Fortunately they got along immediately so the trial visit became
permanent. Thats good as Cash doesn't like being an 'only dog'. We
found that out when we fostered Unca Sammy for the last 9 months of his
life. Because we got Aunti Mabel a month before Sammy passed over the
bridge (natural causes, he was 18.5 or 19 based on deceased owners vet
records), he looked sad at Sammy's favorite spots but he'd just nuzzle
Aunti Mabel and was ok.

This time when Aunti Mabel passed on (vet assisted due to strokes just
before a mastectomy was scheduled for hind teat breast cancer), Cash
stopped eating. He'd just wander the house looking for her. He
started eating again 2 days later but he was very depressed so we knew
we needed a buddy dog who wouldn't be a danger to the cat.

Enter Iowna, a dog who caused the rescue to block the bottom of the cat
tree because she was climbing it to play with the cat! We had actually
donated money to help pay for her right eye enucleation 2 years ago and
she was still available. (The other eye was treated with Gentamycin
and is stable with pressure at 17 consistant now for 2 years).

Anyways, all 3 got along immediately and Cash perked right back up.
They were snoozing in a happy pile by that afternoon. One of the
smoothest intros!

Old March 6th 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

LOl, I hit the wrong key and old messages showed up.

Any of us old guard still here? Iowna is. She'll be 14 in a few
months. Cash is fine too as is Daisy-chan the cat.

Carol

Old March 7th 16, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_4_]

cshenk wrote:

snip

LOl, I hit the wrong key and old messages showed up.

Any of us old guard still here? Iowna is. She'll be 14 in a few
months. Cash is fine too as is Daisy-chan the cat.

Carol

FIW myself and Peanut are still around, though she is feeling her age
even more than myself.

Bill Clodius
Old March 7th 16, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus[_3_]

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 15:21:08 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

LOl, I hit the wrong key and old messages showed up.
Any of us old guard still here? Iowna is. She'll be 14 in a few
months. Cash is fine too as is Daisy-chan the cat.

We're down to 1 dog and no cats. Balim, our English cocker spaniel,
will complete her 10th year in June. She's doing fine--a little too
fine perhaps. Since we put her on Hills mobility kibble about six
weeks ago she's recovered a spryness that sometimes tires me out and
makes me wish they had something like that for us humans.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of