Friends chatting on our dogs

Old May 1st 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Friends chatting on our dogs

I see there are a few of us still here. Anyone mind if we chat about
our dogs here now? Used to be Dogman when after folks and while he may
have meant well, it killd the dog groups best I can tell.

Carol

Old May 2nd 16, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus[_3_]

On Sun, 01 May 2016 13:48:50 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

I see there are a few of us still here. Anyone mind if we chat about
our dogs here now?

I have no problems with it.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of
Old May 5th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus[_3_]

On Mon, 02 May 2016 17:48:01 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

When the posts here pretty much stopped, I had Cash (unlikely to be,

Kanyak, our GSD+Dobe mix, died in 2005 at the age of 18+. That left us
at the time with one dog, Urger a "negative" Kangal--he was light
colored where he should have been dark and vice-versa. There are pix
of him he
http://www.kanyak.com/utd/utd.html

When Kanyak died, my wife took it very hard and said she wanted no
more dogs. That lasted exactly one year--to the very day in fact. That
day while she was out shopping at a local mall she called me up and
asked if I wanted to do a "good deed". I warily said OK and asked what
it was. The good deed it turned out consisted of rescuing a cocker
spaniel puppy from a pet shop at the mall. (I'm skipping over a lot of
details here.) The next day I went to the mall and bought the pup, a
purebred English cocker spaniel with papers no less. It was the first
and only time I paid for a dog I've owned. As I drove into our yard
with the pup in the car Urger ran up and began barking furiously--not
something he was much given to doing. Within an hour however they
looked like this:
http://www.kanyak.com/stash/balim-urger-061215.jpg

Urger died in 2011 at the age of 12. About par for the course I'm told
for this breed. His bowels just stopped working and nothing could be
done.

Balim's doing fine, especially considering that she'll be 10 this
June. We've had her on Hills mobility for close to a year and it's
made a huge difference--she leaps about with all the energy of a young
adult.

I've got lots of Urger stories to tell. Some other time perhaps.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of

Old May 6th 16, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Opinicus wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

On Mon, 02 May 2016 17:48:01 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

When the posts here pretty much stopped, I had Cash (unlikely to be,

Kanyak, our GSD+Dobe mix, died in 2005 at the age of 18+. That left us
at the time with one dog, Urger a "negative" Kangal--he was light
colored where he should have been dark and vice-versa. There are pix
of him he
http://www.kanyak.com/utd/utd.html

Lovely fellow! Lovely home too, I don't make that much money to have
anything like that. I mean it's comfy, but not that.

If you could imagine him in a solid ink black, it's pretty close to
'Unca Sammy' who was about the same age when it was time to go.

When Kanyak died, my wife took it very hard and said she wanted no
more dogs. That lasted exactly one year--to the very day in fact. That
day while she was out shopping at a local mall she called me up and
asked if I wanted to do a "good deed". I warily said OK and asked what
it was. The good deed it turned out consisted of rescuing a cocker
spaniel puppy from a pet shop at the mall. (I'm skipping over a lot of
details here.) The next day I went to the mall and bought the pup, a
purebred English cocker spaniel with papers no less. It was the first
and only time I paid for a dog I've owned. As I drove into our yard
with the pup in the car Urger ran up and began barking furiously--not
something he was much given to doing. Within an hour however they
looked like this:
http://www.kanyak.com/stash/balim-urger-061215.jpg

Sweet!

Urger died in 2011 at the age of 12. About par for the course I'm told
for this breed. His bowels just stopped working and nothing could be
done.

Balim's doing fine, especially considering that she'll be 10 this
June. We've had her on Hills mobility for close to a year and it's
made a huge difference--she leaps about with all the energy of a young
adult.

Another thing to consider adding (if there isn't a medical reason not
to) is organic coconut oil to her diet. At this age it can help with
cognitive issues. No one really knows why but the only thing they can
tell is whatever is special about it, is preserved with the processing
method used for organic versions. 1 - 2 TS a day.

Iowna is on all the supplements for joint issues now but there is only
so much they can do.

I've got lots of Urger stories to tell. Some other time perhaps.

I'll be semi patient ;-)

Carol

Old August 20th 16, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"cshenk" wrote in message

[big snip]

I'll be semi patient ;-)

I have been away for a long time, but recently had a question for another
newsgroup (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc), and I see that there is still some
(perhaps renewed) activity. So, apparently my arch nemeses Dogman and Janet
Boss have left the group, and maybe it can be a kinder, gentler experience.

I sent Muttley to the Rainbow Bridge on November 9, 2015, after about a year
of slow decline, mostly limited and painful movement from arthritis, but
more seriously a rather fast loss of weight, blood in stool, and a large
abdominal mass. Rather than go through the expense and trauma of exploratory
surgery and possible further painful operations with questionable outcomes,
I decided to perform the final act of unconditional love that dogs give, and
have a right to expect.

Mostly, I have been active in a forum that formed after the dissolution of a
Cesar Millan forum,
http://www.dogsnharmony.com/community/

I'm also somewhat active on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/peschoen

I am now hopefully done with most of my needed orthopedic surgeries, hip
replacement in 2013, cervical spine in 2015, and lumbar spine in June of
this year. All went well and I am getting back to being more physically
active. I got a cat (Skeeter, Maine Coon mix) in December, and I am ready to
get a dog again, but not looking too hard. I'm not a pit bull guy, and
that's about all that are easily available at the shelters. I like GSDs and
GRs and Labs, but they usually need a lot of activity - so maybe a senior
dog or a smaller one might be suitable.

I'll probably check back once in a while. I hope everyone is doing OK!

Paul

Old August 20th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

P E Schoen wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Paul, Dogman is gone. I don't really recall Janet because it's been
many years. There are a small handful left and some spammers selling
'puppies' that I killfile right away.

I agree on the pitbulls, not that they are a bad breed, but that they
take a good bit of training and time that my life doesn't have.

I am sorry on Muttley but he got a good run with you that he'd not have
had. Last I heard from you, I had Cash (still do, hes beaten the vets
odds and is now 9), Daisy-chan (the feral cat, now probably 16) and now
RB, Aunti Mabel (the deaf one we paid for a tainer for as we didnt know
what to do as best for her).

Enter quietly, using the disability ramp, Iowna (I-Own-A) since last
you and I typoed to one another. Iowna was a chamion show dog in
agility then she started going blind from glaucoma age 9. Fully blind
with one eye removed and the other treated with ablation, we adopted
her age 11. She turned 14 on 2 July. She has serious arthritis and is
on Tramadol at 50mg a day (split to 4 portions). Like Muttley, she's
on a careful watch for QOL. Each individual joint could be fixed, but
the vet and I agree since it's both back legs and her turning paw, that
it's too much for her to recover from at her age. She simply doesnt
have the rugged raw health that Aunti Mabel had (mixed, Iowna is
purebred). She is however healthy enogh that it is almost sure we will
have to have it done with vet assist, unlike Unca Sammy.

Oh, now I remember, wasn't Janet the one who insisted Sammy never lived
because I didnt post pictures of him? Solid black dog and only my
hi-def camera could work and all of us were in the pictures with too
much photo-quality to be safe to post.

Anyways, when ready, I highly advise adopting an elderly dog. Nothing
too big. I suspect a bassett might suit well, even if not as
'exciting' as Muttley. They tend to be pretty happy-go-lucky and work
well with cats. They like walks but not all that much into running.
They also tend to like the same temps you do, so won't want to run
around outside when it's too hot for you. They are more cold resilient
than the coat looks like so they are ok for a leashed walk in low snow
for 30 minutes.

BTW, check and see if your area has and elder to elder free adoption.
We do here.

Cat and Dog Friends? DoDa Dogs - general 0 February 25th 08 02:25 PM
Hello Friends Guy Dog rescue 0 November 20th 05 10:58 AM
Friends at last [email protected] Dog behavior 0 October 22nd 04 06:49 AM
Announcing Animal Fair Henry Henrietta Dogs and Friends Club Brian Dogs - general 0 November 10th 03 01:58 AM