Home Visit Checklist?

Old September 27th 03, 08:54 PM
queenmother

"Suja" wrote in message
news:Qzldb.22055$sp2.12260@lakeread04...
queenmother wrote:

From my file they would be able to report that I pay my bills, that my

dogs
are seen annually, that my dogs are on PM, that my dogs are speutered,

that
my dogs are reasonable weights, that my dogs are sometimes taken in when

am concerned about something (that so far has been nothing important)

and
that my dogs have not been seen for anything that indicated the

slightest
neglect on my part.

But, a vet cannot generally give out this amount of information unless
you give specific written authorization to them. Most people don't.
Most rescues don't ask for anything beyond 'Are you the vet of so and so
and their pets?' and 'Are they UTD on the vaccines and health checks?'

Suja

Then basically all they're doing is checking to see if you lied on your
application. I guess that has some value but it's pretty limited. Hardly
worth the phone call if it's long distance.

~~Judy

Old September 27th 03, 09:10 PM
queenmother

"Suja" wrote in message
You know, I know at least one person who tells potential adopters that
if she finds the house utterly spotless, they're probably not getting a
dog from her. She said that she knows of no one who is OCD about having
their home dirt and hair free (to say nothing of the occasional vomit
and diarrhea) who would make a good dog person. FWIW, I think that she
was only half kidding, although it certainly seemed to put the potential
adopters at ease.

I can see her point. ;-)

However, our house (before Spenser) was probably pretty close to that house.
Two adults, a newly remodelled house, no pets for over two years. The
floors were always clean and since we both hate clutter the house was not
far from "ready for company" most of the time. Someone doing a home visit
might have wanted to ask some additional questions.

However, we *had* had dogs before. Shedding, slobbery ones. And the floors
were tile and hardwood. We assume dogs belong on the couch and in between
the sheets And the dog we were looking for was a schnauzer - and I admit
because of the lack of shedding.

And now, no additional questions would be necessary. The tile floors, in
spite of daily sweeping, are usually covered with grass when the lawn is
recently mowed. The hardwood floor is still pretty good but has some dings
and dents it didn't have two years ago. There are dog toys all over the
house. And I do mean ALL OVER. And, as hard as DH fought it, we now have
an area rug in the living room. Because the dogs like it.

I told DH just last week - as much as I like it, I hated that perfect house.
People were afraid to walk on our hardwood floors with their shoes on. (I
didn't have MY shoes on but that's because I rarely do.) Floors are meant
to be walked on. I'm not out to intentially do it but if they get
scratched, it will sand out. Or not.

The dogs add so much to our lives that it more than offsets *any*
disadvantages of having them.

~~Judy

Old September 27th 03, 09:36 PM
Mark/Shell

If your house was spotless and the animals were confined to one room then I
doubt she would have left the dog. I'd be proud to let any animal rescue
organization come to my house but I'd die if someone came to inspect my
house for any other purpose without prior notice

Shell
"Debbie the Underdogged" wrote in
message ...
In article ,
says...
Subject: Home Visit Checklist?
From: Suja

Date: Sat, Sep 27, 2003 1:47 PM

Chris Jung wrote:

My biggest concern with having people in my house is that I'm

a -ahem-
"casual" housekeeper.

No problemo here,as I do not even notice, and take this from someone who

is a
neat nick.

I'm not even a "casual" housekeeper, I'm a complete slob.

I was terrified when Susan, the rescue lady from whom I adopted Tanner,
came for her home visit. It was the first time I'd had a home visit;
even though all my critters were adopted, I'd gotten them from city
animal shelters that didn't do visists (except for Laika who I took
when my mom died). I'd picked up the house (sort-of), but was still
very uneasy. However, she told me she wasn't there to judge my
housekeeping, but to check out how dog-friendly my house was, how my
other pets looked and acted, etc. What she found was a messy house
scattered with cat and dog toys and beds, and 3 contented cats and one
happy dog. She'd brought Tanner with her and left him with me on the
spot (for a one-week evaluation to see if he would fit in to my
household - I called her the next day to say "yes'!). Since then, Susan
and I have become very good friends, and when I adopted Dolly, her
rescuer knew Susan and took her word that I'd be a good dogmom. I leave
my dogs with one or the other when I go out of town. I really like
having this relationship with both of the rescuers, as I know I can call
them when I have questions and that my dogs will always have a safe
place to go if necessary (Susan took care of them for a couple of weeks
when I was recovering from surgery, and I have it in my will that either
she or the other person will get the dogs for rehoming).

--
Debbie the Underdogged das at spamcop dot net
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 27th 03, 09:40 PM
Mark/Shell

Before I knew I wasn't going to be house checked I was worried sick about my
back garden. It's totally enclosed so no way the dogs could get out but it's
a tip. Jery laughed and said the dogs didn't care if my borders weren't tidy
or if there were weeds everywhere. It actually looks worse now because there
are huge holes everywhere, George buries things and Doug (aptly named) digs
them up.

Shell

"Suja" wrote in message
Debbie the Underdogged wrote:

when my mom died). I'd picked up the house (sort-of), but was still
very uneasy. However, she told me she wasn't there to judge my
housekeeping, but to check out how dog-friendly my house was, how my
other pets looked and acted, etc.

You know, I know at least one person who tells potential adopters that
if she finds the house utterly spotless, they're probably not getting a
dog from her. She said that she knows of no one who is OCD about having
their home dirt and hair free (to say nothing of the occasional vomit
and diarrhea) who would make a good dog person. FWIW, I think that she
was only half kidding, although it certainly seemed to put the potential
adopters at ease.

One of the HVs I did, I walked in, and when asked whether I'd like to
see the house, told them that the point of the visit was to get to know
them and not to inspect the house. The guy blurted out 'You mean there
was no need for me to shove everything in the closet?' We had a good
laugh about that.

Suja

---