Seperation Anxiety

Old December 9th 03, 10:05 PM
Quasi

Default Seperation Anxiety

I have a small terrier mix dog, about 7 years old. He, along with my two
other, larger dogs, was used to being left outside alone all day while my
husband and I went to work. Since we moved to the States in the beginning
of this year, I have not being working and so the dogs have been indoors
with me most of the time . Micro has now started to become destructive if I
leave him at home when I go out. I bought a wire crate for him and have
spent the last month feeding him in it and giving him lots of treats in it.
I had him comfortable with being closed in the crate while I was around and
even if I left the room for a while. Today I tried to go out and leave him
in the crate and he went ballistic. I was out for less than an hour and in
that time he shredded his blanket, bend the wire around the door and shoved
the tray our from the bottom of the crate. I had given him a peanut butter
filled kong to keep him occupied.

I don't know what else to do. My husband is starting to talk about getting
rid of him. Any suggestions out there?

Joy (& Micro)

Old February 17th 04, 02:15 AM
Trooper2

I am having separation anxiety issues with my 1 year old male
Dachshund, Oscar. I made the mistake of leaving him out on his own
while I was at work only to come home and find my sofa or love seat
torn and chewed. Determined not to let it happen again, I have since
put him in a wire crate while I am gone but he insists on chewing any
blankets I put in it, has already chewed the plastic tray, spills
water and has no interest in a Kong or any other rawhide/toy while in
his crate. Have even started using the DAP (Dog Appeasing Pharmone)
but have yet to see any results (been approx. 2 weeks now).
Though I've trained Oscar to go in his crate on command, he's not
thrilled with being closed in it even while I am home or in another
room. However other times he will disappear and I will find him
sitting in the crate waiting for a treat/reward. Morning, as I
prepare for work always proves to be a challenge as once I put on a
belt or shoes he hides under a bed refusing to come out. End up
climbing under things and wrinkling clothes to get him out (on some
mornings) while others I can "convince" him to enter crate on for him
to again begin to whine and throw a fit. Even refuses food while in
crate. No matter what I try to do, I just cannot seem to make a dent
and am willing to try anything -- except leaving him out as I cannot
afford for him to continue to damage my house and furniture. Have
even tried pretending to leave + coming back to trying and make him
understand that leaving is only temporary. Am at the end of my rope
and would too appreciate any insight other dog owners can provide.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jason

Old February 17th 04, 10:43 AM
Pat

"Trooper2" wrote in message
[...]

It is hard to ask a dog to go from freedom outside.... to being imprisoned
in a cage.
If you start them off when young they will be happy to use it .
At a year old it is much harder.
I suffer with claustrophobia....if you shut me in I would be the same.
You are asking an adult dog to that has NOT been trained to go in a cage to
like it.
Doesn't happen like that I am afraid.
Of course he is happy to go in with the door open.
He has the choice to leaving when he wants to.
Have you not got a room that he could go in perhaps with a baby gate so he
can see out.
Pat.