new pics: Gonna getcha, the Disappearing Jack, Puglet, and other amusements

Old January 8th 04, 07:50 AM
Sionnach

Default new pics: Gonna getcha, the Disappearing Jack, Puglet, and other amusements

The lastest installment in the Amberdogs (+the Maggot) saga... album #5, Oct
03-Jan 04.
I find the easiest way to look at these albums is to click "slideshow" on
the upper left.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberdogs1/my_photos

In the Disappearing Jack Act, Rocsi is fitting herself into a 4" or less
high space under the floorboards of an old doghouse. All the way under-
turning her upper body sideways and driving herself under with her hind
legs, then getting her entire body under there (sideways, of course), going
all the way back in pursuit of the mouse, then turning around (still
sideways) and pulling herself back out again.
Only the entrance and exit can be seen; it was impossible to get a picture
of her maneuvers once in the space, although I lay on my side myself and
watched her.
In the "after" photo, you can see the dirt she ground into her side doing
this. G

Gonna Getcha is the game Morag plays with the other dogs... other
amusements and The Puglet self-explanatory.
Unfortunately, a lot of my action shots aren't quite as clear as I like...
quite a few of them were shot near sundown, with a long lens (70-200). My
scanner sucks, too. Oh well.

Old January 8th 04, 08:10 AM
Rocky

Sionnach said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

In the Disappearing Jack Act, Rocsi is fitting herself into
a 4" or less high space under the floorboards of an old
doghouse.

I see what you mean about no room for much more than a flat
collar.

Old January 8th 04, 02:17 PM
Sionnach

NO.7 in new pictures cracks me up. The expression on that face!
And No.28 is a GREAT action shot!

Ok, now you've got me confused. g The seventh picture in the newest
album- the one titled "Oct03-Jan-04"- is Rocsi just standing still, and the
28th is her looking into a hole in a tree. ?
There *is* an album titled "New pictures Feb. 03", in which the seventh
picture is Rocsi with a Santa toy, and the 28th is her head-down in deep
snow; are those the ones you mean?

Old January 8th 04, 09:56 PM
sionnach

Wow, there's enough pics here to spend the whole day browsing, which I
intend to do, too.

I told you it was a mort o'pictures. And I've got another whole set
I haven't even sorted for scanning, yet....

I'm already drawn to the "inverted_jack" and "pug_attack" pics!

What Rocsi's doing in the "inverted picture", btw, is digging. At the
rotten wood on the inside of a hollow root- she has her upper body in the
hollow, and is trying to enlarge it so she can get further in. Needless to
say, there's a critter in there.

Yeah, that's pretty close quarters, all right. I assume that there's
a rat (or misc. rodentia) in there somewhere, too?

Deer mouse, shrew, or vole, most likely, since that shot was taken in my
back yard. (The dog whose house it was- our Husky, who *liked* to be outside
by himself- has been dead for 20 years or more.)

The one of Rosci running in high gear would have *really* been a nice
one if you could have somehow frozen the action a little better, but
it still was a pretty good shot.

Yeah, I know.... thing is, getting clear shots of something like that -at
least with the film I was using that day- really requires a tripod, and I
don't carry one when I'm hiking with the dogs.
BTW, you may have figured this out, but DSG stands for "double suspension
gallop". I'll be adding better captions/descriptions over the next couple
of days.

Old January 9th 04, 02:59 AM
Sionnach

If the shutter speed is fast enough (depending on how you want the
background to look), a tripod shouldn't be needed (although a monopod
might be helpful) for action shots.

Yes, but with slower film (which I was using that day), you have to use
slower shutter speeds.

Especially if you PAN...

Actually, that shot *is* panned- I wouldn't have gotten it at all,
otherwise, since it's not a set-up shot, and I was using my long lens.

Old January 9th 04, 03:10 AM
Sionnach

If the shutter speed is fast enough (depending on how you want the
background to look), a tripod shouldn't be needed (although a monopod
might be helpful) for action shots.

Yes, but with slower film (which I was using that day), you get slower
shutter speeds.

Especially if you PAN...

Actually, that shot *is* panned- I wouldn't have gotten it at all,
otherwise, since it's not a set-up shot, and I was using my long lens.
(Which I did make reference to in blurriness in some of the action shots
in my original post.)