Dog Bit Me 4 Times "I Think I Raised Him Very Badly."

Old April 10th 04, 05:19 PM
reddave1999

Default Dog Bit Me 4 Times "I Think I Raised Him Very Badly."

hmmm i've had my dobie since she was 6 weeks old. aside from her early teething
phase she has never done anything like that. if you show them love and caring
they will do anything for you.
Old April 10th 04, 06:09 PM
EGD

"reddave1999" wrote in message
hmmm i've had my dobie since she was 6 weeks old. aside from her early

teething
phase she has never done anything like that. if you show them love and

caring
they will do anything for you.

I missed the first post but while love and caring are obviously important,
good training is also a must. A much loved dog, who has been spoiled, will
upon sexual maturity, often become a very dominant individual who will in
fact resort to bullying other dogs, children and adults in his family group.
EGD

Old April 11th 04, 11:06 PM
reddave1999

mine is spoiled rotten and has never acted in a dominant manner toward another
animal or person. just curiosity and affection.
Old April 12th 04, 01:55 AM
EGD

"reddave1999" wrote in message
mine is spoiled rotten and has never acted in a dominant manner toward

another
animal or person. just curiosity and affection.

Well lets look at some facts. "Most" dog bites are by male dogs, unneutered,
who have had no formal obedience training and have either been overly
spoiled by their doting owners, or have had little or no interaction with
humans or other animals and have reached sexual maturity.
I could never count the letters I have received over the years, from owners
of just one breed, who have now realised they have a grown dog, who has
already displayed signs of aggression toward other dogs in the family "and"
children and adults in the family. These were, incidentally, dogs who were
not banished to the backyard, but had grown up within the family group. Most
owners admitted they had given the dog no formal training and had probably
spoiled him. Most had not been neutered. Most were male dogs. Many owners
who wrote admitted also that they were now afraid of their dog.
I consider my own dogs fairly "spoiled" these days, but they were taught
their place early on and know that "no'" means "no"! They are also all boys
and all neutered.
Obviously not all dogs will display such aggression. But it's easy to tell
from the start most of the time, which ones might.
There's no substitute for early training, neutering of dogs not deemed
breeding quality, lots of attention, living within a household and not
banished to the yard alone and making sure a dog knows his place in the
family group.
Can save many major problems in the future.
Retraining of dominant dogs can be done, but it's not easy and takes a
really committed owner. Sadly, many aggressive dogs are dumped at the pound
or given away or worse. Seldom the dog's fault. Always the fault of an
owner who think dogs just raise themselves.
EGD

Old April 12th 04, 09:22 AM
¶øÑ©†œ§ ÜÎø×

my two cents......i have 2 dogs a pit bull wolf mix and a pit rott mix i
can walk up and take food out of the dish (of both dogs) i can take the
dish away, an they are very well trained (by me) i dont believe in
letting others train MY dog nor could anybody do so with my wolf mix but
he and the pit rott mix are as i want them to be, nice with me and each
other not so nice with strangers. PS when learning how to drive the
teacher grades you on how well YOU can drive and if you know what you
need to know to be a safe driver i think people who have a dog trainer
dont have the time to do it but thats just what i think i could be
wrong. PPS yes my dogs are mean, i know this. i dont have them to be a
tough guy i got (king) my wolf pit mix when he was 6 weeks old he's a
very good pet/guard dog but even if he loved stangers and was the
sweetest dog i'd still love the smelly guy. also, my ferrets a lot
worse.

Old April 13th 04, 11:48 PM
EGD

"¶øÑ©?o§ ÜÎø×" wrote in message
[...]

I think the best way for the average dog owner, is to join a local obedience
class and learn how to handle and train a dog they own. I've seen many dogs,
trained by someone else and once home, the owner hasn't a clue so the dog
then gets away with lots he shouldn't.
A dog trained in a class situation, also learns to keep his eye on his owner
while lots is going on around him. He also learns to tolerate many different
breeds of dogs and it all goes toward having a dog who is calm in all
situations.
Having dogs who are "mean" as you put it, is all well and good, "if" you
have someone else in the family, who the dogs know well and could feed and
handle without danger in case of your absence or death.
Owning such dogs is ok as long as you always plan well in advance for
something happening to you and of course as long as you are very vigilent in
keeping them very well confined and not putting the public or other animals
at risk.
EGD

Old April 14th 04, 08:09 AM
¶øÑ©†œ§ ÜÎø×

well my brother or sister and my cousins can care for both of my dogs if
i get sick or die, and yes they NEVER get out nor do they run off leash
in fact on leash king (pit wolf mix) is very under control he has to be
i dont take him for walks much anymore too many dogs running free PS
by ''mean'' i mean he's the kind of dog that would love to bite somebody
some dogs are just like that my first dog was a shar pei dalmation, i
wish i still had him in fact he was a very nice dog not mean at all he
would do all the tricks that i showed him king doesnt do any real
tricks. bear (pit rott mix) is a laid back kind of dog.