Male rotweiller needs home (Sacramento area)

Old January 2nd 11, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Male rotweiller needs home (Sacramento area)

I have a rottie who will be 3 years old on January 6th. I got him
from a rescue when he was six weeks old. He is the best dog ever and
I tell him that everyday. Mojo is SPOILED!! He is very attached to
me and my two teenage boys. He is a protective dog who needs a home
where the new owners know he will require patience to get to be
acquainted. Mojo is an indoor dog and 100% housetrained.
Unfortunately, circumstances have come up that I have to move into an
apartment and can not take him with me. He has EARLY signs of
dysplacia in his rear left hip. He still runs and walks without pain
but does not jump. He loves to play and has a sweet personality but
again is protective. I would not recommend little kids around him!!
Old January 2nd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 21:52:48 -0800 (PST), Alena Aaron
wrote:

I have a rottie who will be 3 years old on January 6th. I got him
from a rescue when he was six weeks old. He is the best dog ever and
I tell him that everyday. Mojo is SPOILED!! He is very attached to
me and my two teenage boys. He is a protective dog who needs a home
where the new owners know he will require patience to get to be
acquainted. Mojo is an indoor dog and 100% housetrained.
Unfortunately, circumstances have come up that I have to move into an
apartment and can not take him with me. He has EARLY signs of
dysplacia in his rear left hip. He still runs and walks without pain
but does not jump. He loves to play and has a sweet personality but
again is protective. I would not recommend little kids around him!!

This is not the best place to try to find your dog a new home. You
should post notices with Mojo's picture and information locally so
that you can meet and screen potential homes. If you got Mojo from a
legitimate rescue group, the group should take him back. If they
can't or won't or are out of business or whatever, contact another
Rottie group in your area to see if they can take him or at least help
you with placement. With Mojo's breed and with a health condition
that is going to require surgery or at least some veterinary attention
including medication, a good rescue group is your best bet.

Old January 2nd 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
Alena Aaron wrote:

I have a rottie who will be 3 years old on January 6th. I got him

This is not the best place to try to find your dog a new home. You
should post notices with Mojo's picture and information locally so
that you can meet and screen potential homes. If you got Mojo from a
legitimate rescue group, the group should take him back. If they
can't or won't or are out of business or whatever, contact another
Rottie group in your area to see if they can take him or at least help
you with placement. With Mojo's breed and with a health condition
that is going to require surgery or at least some veterinary attention
including medication, a good rescue group is your best bet.

Agreed. I think the name of this 'group' causes the confusion as we've all
seen several have tried to use it for rescue placement. I think the group
is here more to talk about your experiences with recsue dogs or the process
maybe of being a rescue foster.

Also in the case of a Rottie of that age, I'd definately want to review the
folks and their home. Sadly, some folks potentially might want him for a
dog fighting ring. He'd 'look good' but with the hip lose fast. Money
maker for a ring owner for 1-2 fights (horrible thought).

Old January 2nd 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Alena Aaron wrote:

[...]

This is the charter:

"rec.pets.dogs.rescue
This unmoderated newsgroup proposed as rec.pets.dogs.rescue will be
used for the discussion of all aspects of dog rescue. Topics
appropriate to this newsgroup will include, but are not limited to:
General questions and answers on dog rescue.
General announcements relative to various rescue groups.
General discussion of methods to use in helping a rescue dog adjust to
its new home.
Idiosyncrasies found in rescue dogs, i.e., fears, aggression, etc.,
and how to handle same.
Training or re-training the rescue dog.
Breed specific rescue group information."

It's pretty broad, which is most likely one reason the group isn't
very active (though none of the rpd groups are). Over the years, the
internet has become an extremely important tool for rescue groups.
Almost all rescue groups have websites, and there are many yahoo-type
groups devoted to rescue and to transport of rescue dogs in specific
geographical areas, so there just isn't much reason to have an
overall, international 'rescue' discussion group. And with all the
breed, all-breed and mixed breed rescue group websites out there,
people are unlikely to come here looking for a dog. Mojo's owner
needs to post his information in the area where she lives; unless
there are no Rotties looking for homes on the west coast, it's not
likely that someone is going to travel from out of state to adopt him.
Also, looking for a new home for one's dog means to actually do things
to find a home for him, not post to the internet and wait for people
to come knocking. I don't know that Mojo's owner has or hasn't done
anything else; maybe she has, and posting here was just for added
insurance.

Also in the case of a Rottie of that age, I'd definately want to review the
folks and their home. Sadly, some folks potentially might want him for a
dog fighting ring. He'd 'look good' but with the hip lose fast. Money
maker for a ring owner for 1-2 fights (horrible thought).

I know next to nothing about dog fighting (intentional, that is;
unfortunately, I know a few things about dog fights), so I don't know
how common it is for people to fight Rotties - it doesn't happen where
I live. The Rottweiler is a herding breed whose protective instincts
and loyalty are unbeatable. Mojo was described by his owner as a
protective dog whose new owners need to understand that he'll need
time and patience to get acquainted, so I would be more concerned
about him going to some clueless folks and biting a human. For that
reason, and the fact that he's dysplastic, I believe a Rottweiler
rescue group would be the best option.