Should I euthanize my wonderful dog?

Old March 24th 05, 05:01 AM
Ray

Default Should I euthanize my wonderful dog?

Help!

Facts: Golden Retriever, 11 years old
Large (size of a baseball) tumor on her spleen, and she's hardly eating

at all. Vet says x-ray shows "something" on liver, most likely cancer
because proteins also not right according to blood test, but won't know

for sure (and even then may possibly not know) unless he does
exploratory surgery (and of course removes her spleen). I'm thinking
she probably won't live much longer even in the best case (i.e., if
it's not cancer, which again is unlikely). I don't want her to suffer.

I'm heavily leaning towards euthanizing within the next couple of
days.

What would you do?

Old March 24th 05, 07:08 AM

On 23 Mar 2005 21:01:48 -0800 Ray whittled these words:
Facts: Golden Retriever, 11 years old
Large (size of a baseball) tumor on her spleen, and she's hardly eating
at all. Vet says x-ray shows "something" on liver, most likely cancer
because proteins also not right according to blood test, but won't know

for sure (and even then may possibly not know) unless he does
exploratory surgery (and of course removes her spleen). I'm thinking
she probably won't live much longer even in the best case (i.e., if
it's not cancer, which again is unlikely). I don't want her to suffer.

I would remove the spleen, and do the best I could with nutirition and
support.

I'm heavily leaning towards euthanizing within the next couple of
days.

What would you do?

What I did.
http://www.dog-play.com/cancer1.html
--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old March 24th 05, 11:11 PM
Michael A. Ball

On 23 Mar 2005 21:01:48 -0800, "Ray" wrote:

Help!...

What would you do?

I am very sorry you're having to face this.

Did you read Diane's account of her dog, Tanith? If not, I hope you
will. http://www.dog-play.com/cancer1.html

Diane, motivated by her deep love for Tanith, drew from her many human
qualities, and extended their time together. The feat involved
research, technology, considerable expense, a great deal of hope and
perhaps some divine intervention.

I don't mind saying that I'm very impressed with what Diane was able to
accomplish. She demonstrates what can be accomplished--sometimes--by
those who have the personal and financial resources. I, lacking some of
those attributes, would be left with only one option.

I believe our responsibility to provide a timely and gentle departure is
every bit as great as our responsibility to provide a good life for our
pets.

As I read Diane's tribute to Tanith, I felt inadequate and even ashamed,
because I've never taken such extraordinary steps for the pets I've
lost; but I did the very best I could. Be it limited or very heroic,
there's nothing shameful about doing our very best.

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old March 27th 05, 03:00 AM
Pete

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Help!

Facts: Golden Retriever, 11 years old
Large (size of a baseball) tumor on her spleen, and she's hardly eating

at all. Vet says x-ray shows "something" on liver, most likely cancer
because proteins also not right according to blood test, but won't know

for sure (and even then may possibly not know) unless he does
exploratory surgery (and of course removes her spleen). I'm thinking
she probably won't live much longer even in the best case (i.e., if
it's not cancer, which again is unlikely). I don't want her to suffer.

I'm heavily leaning towards euthanizing within the next couple of
days.

What would you do?

I would probably provide her with a dignified exit.
To be honest, I don't have the money to do much else.
-Pete

Old March 27th 05, 01:54 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:00:32 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

What would you do?

I would probably provide her with a dignified exit.
To be honest, I don't have the money to do much else.

I tried to figure out how to respond to this post before I went to bed,
but couldn't. I'm not sure I can do much better now; except to say
Bravo! What a beautiful balance of common sense and dignity.

I fall into this same financial situation. In fact, I know a day is
coming, when I won't be able to afford to have a dog. (I'll have to get
all of my hugs at the animal shelter, but that's good, too.)
I applaud your integrity and thank you for one of the most dignified
posts I've ever read.

Michael

I see so many people come to the shelter and experience "sticker shock",
when they learn that adopting a dog costs $65 for males and $75 for
females--which pays for their neutering/spay. Yes, that's a lot of money
for most folks around here, but it's merely the beginning, the tip of
the iceberg. That is, if one provides proper care after the adoption.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Old March 27th 05, 05:28 PM
Rocky

MOMPEAGRAM said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

They are a lot more expensive here in Canada. Over $200.

Canada's a big place. In Calgary, the dog adoption fee is $125.

Old March 27th 05, 06:37 PM
MOMPEAGRAM

"Rocky" wrote in message
MOMPEAGRAM said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

They are a lot more expensive here in Canada. Over $200.

Canada's a big place. In Calgary, the dog adoption fee is $125.

Ok, Hamilton, ON

Old March 28th 05, 01:07 AM
MOMPEAGRAM

If she has a tumour and is already not eating, she doesn't have quality of
life. How will she "feel" after surgery? Will she even make it through
surgery? How long will she live and with what quality if she has the
surgery? She won't know the difference if she is euthanized compared to
anaesthetized.

Old March 28th 05, 01:08 AM
Cin

I see so many people come to the shelter and experience "sticker shock",
when they learn that adopting a dog costs $65 for males and $75 for
females--which pays for their neutering/spay. Yes, that's a lot of money
for most folks around here, but it's merely the beginning, the tip of
the iceberg. That is, if one provides proper care after the adoption.

I just got a cat from the RSPCA $110. People are still telling me i am
stupid for paying that for a cat.

When i sit down and explain that it costs over that to get a female desexed
they dont believe me.

They come desexed, Vacc. Wormed, microchiped and 15 day health check.

Go and pay that for dog or cat and it is well over $300

Cin