Vunerable British and Irish breeds

Old March 24th 05, 11:32 PM
Alison

Default Vunerable British and Irish breeds

From an article in Dogs Today April 2005
entitled Where have all our British dogs gone.
Breeds at risk:
Bottom 20 British and Irish breeds in terms of puppy registration for
2004
1) Otter hound ..... 11
2) Glen of Imaal terrier ..... 43
3) Skye terrier........50
4) Sealyham...... 51
5) Smooth collie......72
6) Welsh corgi(cardigan) .......76
7) Sussex spaniel........79
8) Dandie Dimmont.......81
9) Field spaniel........86
10) English Toy Terrier.....103
11 )Manchester terrier......115
12) Irish water spaniel......121
13)Irish Red and White Setter..123
14) Norwich terrier....124
15) Bloodhound.......126
16) Curly coated retriever....131
17) Lancashire heeler.....147
18) King Charles spaniel ..157
19) Climber Spaniel....158
20) Lakeland terrier.....225

http://www.nativebreeds.org.uk/Native%20Breeds.htm

Old March 25th 05, 12:33 AM
culprit

"Alison" wrote in message
From an article in Dogs Today April 2005
entitled Where have all our British dogs gone.
Breeds at risk:
Bottom 20 British and Irish breeds in terms of puppy registration for
2004

funny that there's no mention of the UK native pit bull terrier...

oh wait, they're illegal.

-kelly

Old March 25th 05, 02:03 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"culprit" wrote in message

"Alison" wrote in message
From an article in Dogs Today April 2005
entitled Where have all our British dogs gone.
Breeds at risk:
Bottom 20 British and Irish breeds in terms of puppy registration for
2004

funny that there's no mention of the UK native pit bull terrier...

oh wait, they're illegal.

Are their registration numbers in the bottom 20 of Irish/British
breed? Just curious...I don't know.
Shelly (Happy BSDs are ranked something like 120 in AKC...)
& The Boys

Old March 25th 05, 02:07 AM
culprit

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

Are their registration numbers in the bottom 20 of Irish/British
breed? Just curious...I don't know.

THE Kennel Club (UK) doesn't recognize them. so there are 0 registered.
:-)

-kelly

Old March 25th 05, 03:17 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"culprit" wrote in message

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

Are their registration numbers in the bottom 20 of Irish/British
breed? Just curious...I don't know.

THE Kennel Club (UK) doesn't recognize them. so there are 0 registered.
:-)

Aha...okay, color me stupid. So...did the Staffy, AmStaff and
Pit Bull type dogs all originate in the UK?
Shelly & The Boys

Old March 25th 05, 06:05 PM
culprit

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

Aha...okay, color me stupid. So...did the Staffy, AmStaff and
Pit Bull type dogs all originate in the UK?

all of them are variations on the "bull and terrier" type pit fighting dogs.
the story is that they're a cross between the old style Bulldog and the
extinct White English Terrier. there were a lot of variations, as more
bulldog or terrier blood was bred in by various fighters looking for that
perfect pit dog. the dogs were also used for farm dogs, helping with
cattle, hunting, guard work, etc. English and Irish immigrants brought them
to the US as all purpose dogs, and they brought dog fighting with them.
the Staffy came about when pit fighting became illegal in the UK, and they
wanted to preserve the breed. the type diverged when immigrants began
bringing them to the US in the late 1800s. the Staffy basically stayed the
same in the UK, as it was now an established breed, and was no longer used
extensively for fighting. but fighting was legal and popular in the US, so
the type evolved based on which dogs were better in the ring. from this we
basically get the APBT and the smaller Boston (Bull) Terrier.
the AmStaff came about when APBT enthusiasts wanted to enter the AKC for
conformation purposes. since pit bulls were known as fighting dogs, the
name Staffordshire Terrier was given to the "new" breed in order for the AKC
to accept them. "American" was added to the name in the 1970's, in order to
distinguish it from the smaller Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

today, AmStaffs and APBTs are illegal in the UK (they're dangerous, doncha
know), but Staffy's aren't, and are popular dogs for children.

whew

any questions? :-)

-kelly

Old March 25th 05, 06:06 PM
culprit

"culprit" wrote in message

but Staffy's aren't, and are popular dogs for children.

pay no attention to the apostrophe in Staffies... it's not really there.

-kelly

Old March 26th 05, 07:38 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"culprit" wrote in message

name Staffordshire Terrier was given to the "new" breed in order for the

AKC
to accept them. "American" was added to the name in the 1970's, in order

distinguish it from the smaller Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Okay...sounds about as confusing as the Belgian's history
& the one breed/4 varities vs. 4 breeds argument! :-)
I was wondering, since like you say, the word "American" is
in there...just wondered if it wasn't like the Amercian Cocker/English
Cocker thing.
Shelly & The Boys

Old March 26th 05, 05:55 PM
Alison

"culprit" wrote in message

today, AmStaffs and APBTs are illegal in the UK (they're

dangerous, doncha
know), but Staffy's aren't, and are popular dogs for children.

whew

any questions? :-)

-kelly .

They're not going to be on the list of vunerable *British* breeds
are they !
The Kennel club has a strict criteria for recognising a breed. JRT
are not recognised (, only Parsons are.

Alison

Old March 26th 05, 05:58 PM
Alison

"culprit" wrote in message

" today, AmStaffs and APBTs are illegal in the UK (they're

dangerous, doncha
know), but Staffy's aren't, and are popular dogs for children.

whew

any questions? :-)

-kelly

PS I don't think Am staffs are banned in the UK , They advertise them
in the Exchange and Mart, which is not good for the breed or
individual dog
Alison