Chesapeake Bay Retriever Breeders - Help!

Old December 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
Deacon4911

Default Chesapeake Bay Retriever Breeders - Help!

I am looking for some information and good "word of mouth" data on
Chessy breeders in the US. Currently I'm looking for a puppy early Spring of
04, and would like one with good field/gun dog potential. (not show) However,
the selection is so vast I am now wanting more information to narrow the
selection down -- or at least get a different perspective on the breeders.

Does anyone have any personal experiences (good or bad) with:

Lakeshore Kennels, WI
Snowy River Kennels, MT
Ramsey Creek Kennels, IL
Westwind Farms, MI
Colonial Chesapeakes, RI

Any input would be greatly valued...... Please reply to this E-mail address as
shown. Thanks.
Old December 4th 03, 04:26 AM

On 02 Dec 2003 22:20:01 GMT Deacon4911 whittled these words:

I am looking for some information and good "word of mouth" data on
Chessy breeders in the US. Currently I'm looking for a puppy early Spring of
04, and would like one with good field/gun dog potential. (not show) However,
the selection is so vast I am now wanting more information to narrow the
selection down -- or at least get a different perspective on the breeders.

Does anyone have any personal experiences (good or bad) with:

Lakeshore Kennels, WI
Snowy River Kennels, MT
Ramsey Creek Kennels, IL
Westwind Farms, MI
Colonial Chesapeakes, RI

Any input would be greatly valued...... Please reply to this E-mail address as
shown. Thanks.

Based purely on how they prsent themselves (I don't know of any of them) I
would say you've found some well worth following up on. Asking in a place
like this isn't a bad idea - as long as you are using other methods to get
the information (I suspect you are but weider things have happended) Id
you are not yet doing it I would try to meet people with dogs from those
breeders. The way to do that is to check the competitions within a 100
mile or so drive. It doesn't need to be hit or miss. You can find out who
is entered prior to the actual competion.
Look up events at http://www.akc.org
http://www.working-retriever.com/calendar.html

At this point I suspect that any of these breeder will have dogs of the
quality you seek. All of them seem responsible enough that you *will* end
up in long term relationship. So part of the task will be your intutition
about who will be a good fit for you. Web sites are interesting and can
be revealing. People choose what goes on them and choose what is either
important to them or what they think is important to others. I wouldn't
do a yay or nay entirely on one but I would pay attention to what they
tell me about how the breeder chooses to present themselves.

I'd say "good luck" but you don't need "luck" you've subsituted good
research.

Diane Blackman
Old December 4th 03, 05:05 AM
Deacon4911

Ms. Blackman,

Thank you for the time you took in making your reply to my post. Yes, I am
using every source of information available to help me in this search. So far I
have spoken to some truly professional Chessy breeders. All of them have
represented their kennels, themselves and the breed wonderfully. It is now a
matter of finding the Dam and Sire that would most likely produce the dog I
want. (hunt - not show, temperment, size, etc)

Thanks agian for your post...
Old December 4th 03, 05:48 AM

On 04 Dec 2003 04:05:24 GMT Deacon4911 whittled these words:
snip

Polite, thoughtful, tactful *sigh* wish I could clone you. Sorry not to be
of more help but *dang* it sure is nice to hear from someone who is far
beyond the basics. I saw you posted in rec.hunting.dogs so you have that
base covered as well - why am I not surprised. :-)

Diane Blackman