A holiday reminder about chocolate

Old December 18th 03, 05:09 PM
Dana Taramina

Default A holiday reminder about chocolate

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Chocolate is lethally toxic to dogs!

A good friend's mini-daschund managed to climb up onto her dining room
table a couple of days ago and ate about 250 grams of chocolate.
TOTALLY new behavior for him, has never climbed before, etc. (New
puppy in the house has him acting out.) He's fine, but it was very
close-he was a very sick dog for a couple of days. These are extremely
responsible and careful dog owners, and *never* expected him to be
able to climb up on the table.

So, Bailey's going back to being crated while mom and dad are out.

Dana and Guinness (who'd climb on the table in a heartbeat given the
chance)
Old December 18th 03, 06:07 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Dana Taramina" wrote in message
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Chocolate is lethally toxic to dogs!

A good friend's mini-daschund managed to climb up onto her dining room
table a couple of days ago and ate about 250 grams of chocolate.
TOTALLY new behavior for him, has never climbed before, etc. (New
puppy in the house has him acting out.) He's fine, but it was very
close-he was a very sick dog for a couple of days. These are extremely
responsible and careful dog owners, and *never* expected him to be
able to climb up on the table.

So, Bailey's going back to being crated while mom and dad are out.

Dana and Guinness (who'd climb on the table in a heartbeat given the
chance)

It was a good thing you reminded me. I'm going to spend christmas in a house
with a dog, and I might not have thought of the dangers involved. I trust my
own dogs with chocolate lying around. (Only fairly small amounts and usually
milkchocolate, even if they did steal it they wouldn't even get very sick.)
Now I'll keep my eyes open on christmas so that the little furball doesn't
get his teeth into any chocolate.
Thanks

Rosa

Old December 18th 03, 06:24 PM
FurPaw

Dana Taramina wrote:
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Chocolate is lethally toxic to dogs!

Thanks for the timely reminder!

Here's a funny one. One of my big dogs table surfed and found a package of
M&Ms. The funny thing was, it didn't look any had been eaten. We found
them scattered on the floor, and some were a bit sticky, and a few had
tooth marks. Astonishing - four dogs turned up their noses at M&Ms!

FurPaw

--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old December 19th 03, 01:03 AM
Rosa Palmén

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Dana Taramina wrote:
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Chocolate is lethally toxic to dogs!

Thanks for the timely reminder!

Here's a funny one. One of my big dogs table surfed and found a package

of
M&Ms. The funny thing was, it didn't look any had been eaten. We found
them scattered on the floor, and some were a bit sticky, and a few had
tooth marks. Astonishing - four dogs turned up their noses at M&Ms!

FurPaw

--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Umm... my granny's saluki would steal my chocolate, and the higher up you
placed it the more triumphant she would look when you found her lying on the
floor with it.
She wouldn't eat it, only give it toothmarks, and if it was opened she would
take off the rest of the wrapping and lick it so no one else could have it.
=)
That dog was born a thief, and she was very skilled. She could steal
anything edible, sometimes she liked it and ate it and sometimes she just
left it on the rug, and being a huge specimen of her breed she could reach
anything.

Rosa