Flea & Tick Colars / Treatment

Old November 4th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jabadoodle

Default Flea & Tick Colars / Treatment

Recently got a dog from a friend who could not keep him. Our family has had
dogs before, but it's been a while. ~ We live in a rural area and take him
for a walk a few times per day. He is getting tics and possibly fleas.

When I first got him he had a tic collar but I threw it away as it looked
like it was spent.

So far I've been looking him over carefully and takeing the little critters
off of him. But I'm wondering if a collar and/or other medication might help
for the ones I miss. On the other hand, it bugs me a bit to put "poison"
right on the dog.

Are these things safe for the dog (and the people petting him) or not?

Old November 4th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Are these things safe for the dog (and the people petting him) or not?

You have to kill the ticks before they attach to the dog. The only thing
that will do that are products such as Frontline Plus or Advantix. Fleas and
ticks are parasites. They affect humans as well as pets. Choose your
prevention accordingly.

Old November 4th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:25:42 -0500, "Sharon Too"
wrote:

You have to kill the ticks before they attach to the dog. The only thing
that will do that are products such as Frontline Plus or Advantix.

My experience is that Frontline/Frontline+ will not kill ticks fast
enough to prevent them from attaching. The only product I've found that
will keep ticks from attaching is an amitraz collar. Amitraz paralyzes
the tick's mouth, so it cannot attach.

--
Shelly

Do *not* sit next to Dennis.
-- Cabin Fever
Old November 4th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"shelly" wrote in message:

My experience is that Frontline/Frontline+ will not kill ticks fast
enough to prevent them from attaching.

Exactly so. According to the vet AND the manufacturer. Not to mention, it
is not 100% effective against ticks.

And FWIW, Frontline + does not do anything more to kill ticks than Frontline
does. The only difference is in the different life stages of fleas they
kill.

The only product I've found that
will keep ticks from attaching is an amitraz collar. Amitraz paralyzes
the tick's mouth, so it cannot attach.

Yup. The only foolproof thing against ticks.

Suja

Old November 4th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"shelly" wrote in message
The only product I've found that
will keep ticks from attaching is an amitraz collar. Amitraz paralyzes
the tick's mouth, so it cannot attach.

.........but not good for cats and quite frankly I wouldn't use it if there's
little kids around either. Yes, I know you have a cat in your house, but I
have a cat that grooms one of my dogs, so it's not something I'd ever use.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 4th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:50:04 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

........but not good for cats and quite frankly I wouldn't use it if there's
little kids around either. Yes, I know you have a cat in your house, but I
have a cat that grooms one of my dogs, so it's not something I'd ever use.

Absolutely. It's not something I'd recommend to someone with a cat*.
Nor would I recommend Advantix, as Sharon did, without first finding out
if the owner had cats. I think her post was full of problematic
(mis)information, which is a little disturbing, considering her
profession.

* My cat doesn't groom the dog, or share space with her, so I've decided
it's a risk worth taking. It's certainly not a risk I would recommend
that others take, though.

--
Shelly

A work is perfectly finished only when nothing can be added and nothing
taken away.
-- Joseph Joubert
Old November 6th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jabadoodle

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to answer.

Old November 7th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Alan Truism

jabadoodle wrote:
Thanks to each of you for taking the time to answer.

What is a "jabadoodle"?

That almost sounds like animal cruelty. You better not jab my doodle!