Always insist on dignity for treatment for older dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 11th 05, 06:43 AM
Pamela McElwain-Brown

Default Always insist on dignity for treatment for older dogs

I recently had a very distressing experience with the high-tech
critical care units at two different pet hospitals in Eden Prairie,
MN, where I live. My 17 year-old beloved miniature poodle Churchill
was admitted to prevent dehydration after a spell of g/i upset, but
then they refused to let him go.

Churchill kept trying to tell everyone when he was ready to go home --
but the staff refused to acknowledge that, and kept insisting he
remain hospitalized. I was so frightened. I was put under the gun
and told that if I took my dog home without their permission to
release him I would have to take responsibility for his dying. I was
threatened by doctors from the Emergency Clinic, from Banfield, his
regular clinic, and from Metro, a specialized clinic, by a Dr.
Goulloud who is supposed to be a genius, but was, instead nothing more
than a cold-hearted butcher.

In retrospect, the one thing I wish I had pushed for was simply that
Churchill be treated with the same dignity as any older person. He
wanted to go home. I wish I had just taken him home with me.

So, communicate with your pets, as they want and need your help in
being comfortable in their old age and last days. Please do NOT let
anyone, no matter how expert they tell you they are, and no matter how
much of the moon they promise you, come between you and your pet. You
are the only voice your pet has.

Pamela McElwain-Brown
In memory of Churchill 11.21.87 - 12.28.04
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" A Study in Scarlet,
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1887

"Behind the Headlights: Presidential Limo" airs on the SPEED cable channel. Here is a link to the
schedule: http://www.speedtv.com/programs/323/ More at www.jfk100x.com.
"The Pretty Pig's Saturday Night", a new essay on "the SBT" is at http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...showtopic=2372.
Scroll down the main Ed Forum page to"Assassination of JFK", click on "JFK Online Seminars", and you will find my essay, plus many others.
Also, for more detailed limocentric questions and a backup of www.jfk100x.com please join jfk100x at
For information about my life away from research, visit www.themagicflute.org