Rottweiler pup

Old December 30th 04, 03:29 AM
Dew

Default Rottweiler pup

I have a 4 month old rotti pup, who's quite a handful. He's getting
stronger everyday and I'm having a harder time controlling him. I'm waiting
for an obedience class to start in January - but in the meantime - need some
help. Whenever I bring him in from outside - he's very hyper and likes to
jump and bite. He doesn't respond to down and doesn't listen at all. I
will usually put him in his kennel. This problem isn't lessening any. As
well - if I am trying to run to get the phone, he's running after me,
nipping at me the whole time. Sometimes when I just get up to go somewhere
in the house, he'll nip at me while he's walking along beside me.
I need to know if there are any ways to control this behavior. I want to
get this corrected now, before he's too big. I try telling him no biting,
and holding his muzzle closed, but nothing seems to work.

Old December 30th 04, 03:49 AM
Rocky

Dew said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have a 4 month old rotti pup, who's quite a handful.
He's getting stronger everyday and I'm having a harder time
controlling him.

etc.

How about you and he get to obedience training? No dog trains
himself.

Old January 1st 05, 11:38 AM
hotkey

there r only 2 methods:
punish wrong
reward good

Old January 1st 05, 01:30 PM
Diana

"Dew" wrote in message
I have a 4 month old rotti pup, who's quite a handful. He's getting
stronger everyday and I'm having a harder time controlling him. I'm
waiting for an obedience class to start in January - but in the meantime -
need some help. Whenever I bring him in from outside - he's very hyper and
likes to jump and bite. He doesn't respond to down and doesn't listen at
all.

Well, he's perfectly normal then

While waiting for your obedience class to start, you moight want to look at
a few books - anything by Dr. Ian Dunbar and the Culture Clash will be a
good place to start. You might also want to talk to his breeder as they are
most likely (if you bought him from a reputable breeder) experienced with
pups and should have prvided you with a basic low down on what you will
expect of him.

Rotties, ime, are a very sensative breed so I would be particularly careful
to use kind and motivational based training. Clicker trainuing us great -
look up Karen Prior for more information on this. Punishment based training,
such as using choke collars, is no way to work with a dog you perport to
love, and will do nothing for the bond you should be working on to gain his
love and respect.

hope this is of some help,

Diana & Cin

Old January 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
Jessica Benko

Actually, that's *precisely* what they do, when they're left to their
own devices.

Which is why so many dogs need to be RETRAINED

And, if I'm not mistaken, retraining can take longer if the dog is left to
figure it out for himself in the beginning.

Have you tried redirecting his nipping/biting? My younger girl started this
habit around 3-4 months and with the nipping I would loudly say something
like "no biting!" or "ouch", but loud enough and firm enough to both catch
her attention in a way she didn't expect and to let her know it bothered me.
When she stopped I gave her something that was ok for her to chew on. As for
biting, and those damn puppy teeth hurt more than adult teeth sometimes LOL,
I would say no biting like I was mad (she has an odd way of predicting my
moods) and as soon as she would pout, she would start licking my hand. When
she did that (as long as I felt she knew I was mad about the biting) I'd
give her a stuffed Kong. She kicked that habit within a week.

You may have to be a bit more persistent with your Rottie though. They can
be a bit bull-headed. LOL But getting it under control now will save you
nerve damage later...especially if he's going to be anywhere near as big as
my friend's Rottie. LOL

~J

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On 30 Dec 2004 03:49:13 GMT, Rocky wrote:

No dog trains himself.

Actually, that's *precisely* what they do, when they're left to their
own devices.

Which is why so many dogs need to be RETRAINED.

[Yes, I realize you didn't mean it in that way.]

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply by e-mail

The Top 20 Most Annoying Liberals - 2004 Edition:
http://www.rightwingnews.com/special/worst3.php

Followers of "religion of peace" slit the throat of Imam praying for
peace:
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=40067

Old January 2nd 05, 03:05 PM
Jessica Benko

Sorry...wanted to add to a part of your post but the rest was pretty much
aimed at the original post. Wasn't sure if I should have replied twice or
what. LOL

~J

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:51:27 GMT, "Jessica Benko"
wrote:

[...]

. ..
On 30 Dec 2004 03:49:13 GMT, Rocky wrote:

No dog trains himself.

Actually, that's *precisely* what they do, when they're left to their
own devices.

Which is why so many dogs need to be RETRAINED.

[Yes, I realize you didn't mean it in that way.]

[]

Jessica, for whom was your message intended?

Please keep your attributions straight, okay?

Thanks!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply by e-mail

Our Oldest Enemy: France spit
http://www.townhall.com/bookclub/molesky.html

Tsunami disaster relief? Want to contribute something? Here's a good place
to do it:
http://www.sarvodaya.org/

Here's mo
http://www.command-post.org/nk/2_archives/018256.html

The U.N. spit
http://diplomadic.blogspot.com/

Old January 2nd 05, 04:43 PM
Diana

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message [..]

I've been using choke collars (yes, even on all those "sensitive"
Rotties) for well over 40 years now (among other training tools), and
my dogs "love" me just as much as your dogs purportedly love you, and
they "bond" extremely well with me, and they "respect" me dearly, yada
yada yada.

They even OBEY me, which is what OBEDIENCE TRAINING is all about.
isn't it?

If you don't know how to use a choke collar correctly (because you're
too big of a klutz, for example), then don't freakin' use one.

But please stop insulting traditional training. It's been used to
*successfully* train more dogs now than all other training methods
combined.

I can already see that 2005 will be much like 2004.

So many stupid people, so little time.

Sheesh.

The choke collar has been in use for less than 100 years - I believe it was
introduced in about 1914

Dog came to hang around human camps many hundreds of 1000's of years ago,
and I bet their motivation wasn't a sharp jerk round the neck,

*Traditional* methods are that a dog relies on his pack for warmth, comfort,
food and safety. Relatively modern methods are that we cause a dog pain and
potential injury for non compliance...

Diana

Old January 3rd 05, 06:45 AM
flick

Diana wrote:

The choke collar has been in use for less than 100 years - I believe it was
introduced in about 1914

Dog came to hang around human camps many hundreds of 1000's of years ago,
and I bet their motivation wasn't a sharp jerk round the neck,

Their punishment might well have been a swift nip from
another dog. Oh, heaven save us! The cruelty!

*Traditional* methods are that a dog relies on his pack for warmth, comfort,
food and safety.

Momma Dog disciplines her puppies by growling, swatting
them with her paw, and sometimes nipping.

If she's got to move her den before they can walk,
she'll pick 'em up with her teeth. Oh, the horror
sarcasm.

Think about it logically: a brief snap from a choke
collar, a nip on the nape from Momma Dog. There may
not be another corrective sensation, applied by Man,
that ties into a dog's instincts more perfectly than
that (except perhaps the electronic collar).

Relatively modern methods are that we cause a dog pain and
potential injury for non compliance...

Don't use any training method if you don't know how.

Many generations of dogs have been trained with choke
collars correctly and shows no signs of abuse. No
fear, no cringing, and they love to get their collar on
and go for walkies. In my youth, I was acquainted with
a number of dogs that had been shown and taken through
advanced obedience degrees, trained with a choke collar
(for the on-leash work).

For a human to use a small amount of brief discomfort
in training a dog is not cruelty. The dog understands
it and does not resent it.

It's the same method that Momma Dogs have been using to
train their own puppies for generations.

And ditto what Handsome Jack has been saying.

flick 100785

Diana

Old January 4th 05, 10:58 AM
Diana

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:43:50 -0000, "Diana"
wrote:

[]

[..]
And your point there is...what, exactly?

That its not that *traditional*.

We don't get our clients / employees / workmates to work for us by hurting
them everytime they don't do as we want - I don't get my hubby to help me
with stuff by punishing him if he would rather sit in front of the telly...
most of us here get our butts out of bed every morning cos if we don't earn
our keep, we don't get to eat - and that too is pretty much the way that the
dog has been diversified into the many breeds we have today. Those that
didn't keep up, didn't work well enough at the job required of them etc,
were either culled or abandoned and so denied the opportunity to continue
their lines in a breeding programme.

So today, most dogs are just pets - but that's still a job that a dog can
earn his keep for by being well mannered and behaved and helping out in the
home too, and earning ones keep is pretty much the most natural, universal
(as in something all 'animals' from ants to polar bears) 'must do' means of
survival... so being the more long standing method - as in a few million
years old - I would call it the more traditional method and one that a dog
is more than capable of picking up on and understanding.

OK, So I don't starve my dog to get her to work for me, but she's on fairly
boring, albeit a good quality kibble and I give her just under her needed
requirements every day to eat as she needs to in her bowl. In my pocket, I
have cooked liver, sausage, beef, pork - a fair variety of food she really
likes - so she's happy to put herself out to earn the top up, using the
clicker as a means of guiding her in the right direction so that its not too
boring or frustrating for her. Kind, fair and without potential damage to
neck vertebrae and the windpipe.

Diana

Old April 16th 05, 12:26 AM
borut

"The Puppy Wizard" wrote in news:mfxCd.45$%
:

You choke and spray aversives in your dog's face
and lock IT in a box JUST LIKE HOWE you MURDERED
your own DEAD DOG Stone.

"Diana" wrote in message

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in

message
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:43:50 -0000, "Diana"
wrote:

[]

[..]
[...]

what are you on about? This people need help, not your life story. say
something constructive, or be quiet.
however if you are mum or dad you should know how to raise a rottie as
they will grow up in smart strong beautiful persons ( as they have
personality i guess we(I) can refer to them in that way).
i agree with most of obedience advices in this thread. specially simple one
good = award, bad = punish (careful with both of them as to much reward
will spoil them and.... punish to much, you will get bitten at some point,
or end up being buying cat for next pet).
just like kids basically.
got two rotties my self and dobie Kita Soll and Zeus and all grown up with
really hard work today's day they can play with my 5 years old boy (josh)
and 3 years old girl (Katie).
any one can walk in the house ( as long we are there) they are your best
mate when introduced right but also worst enemy when need be.
breed of dogs are like races of different people on this earth. different
dog different character. if you do happen to marry a rotti i strongly
advise you date him for while and you will never regret it. and when u
understand them ........ reply to this message.
so much bad press so much anger and bad story's you heard about them
but let me ask you one thing .... would you want to be on front page of
your town newspaper or national TV that you were molested by
Chihuahua????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
?????????????
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i can guarantee that any of your mates will
admit that they know someone that has a little dog that's a damn (****ing)
sorry ankle biter.
and just because they are good big dog so damn good looking people have to
bring their jealous side to it and try to knock them down.
just because they think that one rotties can eat more in a month than
average family in uk.,
you know, they are right they will ............. but .............man
......... look ....when you get that 100% out of that dog .... i could go on
and on and on .
maybe because my boy and girl are working dogs (police/security) and
(that's what rotties and dobies do) maybe ......just maybe .........next
time you see one you should say.... How do you do.....without trying to
judge all wrong about them. Or try to act brave and pat them on head like
they are old mate or Chihuahua.
in the end of the day how would you feel if i walk up to you on street and
start stroking your son or daughter.
and before some one says dog is not baby on substitute for person .........
we all know that!!! but you have to stay strongly....... soft with dogs of
that calibre. you have to get it right.
experience, money, living conditions, time, .............hey .......you
just said yes and got married ........... that day when you said yes to
rottie to be part of your life.
you will love it.
how ever if you think you can get to that dog being brought up in good and
nice maner or not and if you think you got to him with choke chains and
varius other gear ............ you are wrong...........i got nowhere near
them. they will do it for easy life just because they are smarter than you.
and not because they wanted to hear what you just asked them to do.
remember /.................just like kids......