Can claws damage a car's leather seats?

Old April 12th 04, 09:20 AM
Robin

Default Can claws damage a car's leather seats?

I'll be adopting a rescued dog soon, my first dog. Just purchased a new
car with leather seats and it never occurred to me that a dog's claw's
might damage the leather until I read a post somewhere that a woman
purchased a new car with cloth seats just for that reason. I'll
probably be getting a cocker spaniel, older, gentle (if that makes any
difference). And if its true, is there anything I can do with the claws
and some kind of protection to the seats that will protect them from
damage?

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4
Old April 12th 04, 12:29 PM

Robin wrote:
I'll be adopting a rescued dog soon, my first dog. Just purchased a new
car with leather seats and it never occurred to me that a dog's claw's
might damage the leather until I read a post somewhere that a woman
purchased a new car with cloth seats just for that reason.

I prefer leather for dogs, although yes, dog's claws can
damage the leather, even if they're kept well-trimmed (and
note that not all leather is equal quality - the better
stuff is more damage-resistant). Dog hair has a way of
weaving itself into fabric and you can't get it out. I have
a canvas seat cover for the back seat that works just fine.

Between 1980 and today, the payroll tax has risen 25%
During that same period, tax rates on investment income have dropped 31-79%
Old April 12th 04, 03:50 PM
kassa

I have leather furniture AND leather car seats and trust me -- there's
much less damage to leather than there is damage to fabric, especially
when it comes to hair!

Most people I know swear by leather seats. You probably will want to
cover with a sheet or bedspread anyway, just to ease cleanup,
especially if your dogs play/run anywhere that's muddy/sandy.

I haven't noticed any damage from nails at all (I got the leather
furniture after puppy chewing phase, so I can't comment on that).
They didn't try chewing the car leather, though.

kassa
Old April 12th 04, 04:39 PM
Kathleen

kassa wrote:

I have leather furniture AND leather car seats and trust me -- there's
much less damage to leather than there is damage to fabric, especially
when it comes to hair!

Most people I know swear by leather seats. You probably will want to
cover with a sheet or bedspread anyway, just to ease cleanup,
especially if your dogs play/run anywhere that's muddy/sandy.

I haven't noticed any damage from nails at all (I got the leather
furniture after puppy chewing phase, so I can't comment on that).
They didn't try chewing the car leather, though.

When we bought our leather couch the salesman who sold it to us said
that while leather does hold up better to dog claws than most cloth,
damage caused by animals would not be covered under the warranty. He
said that if, by chance one of the dogs managed to puncture the leather,
we should claim it happened when somebody sat down on the couch with a
screw driver in their pocket.

We haven't had a puncture or tear yet, though, after three years, with
two BCs and a JRT, all of whom are on and off the couch constantly.

Kathleen Hansen
Z-Control Skid Boots
Leg armor for gonzo dogs!
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

Old April 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Rocky

Robin said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Just purchased a new
car with leather seats and it never occurred to me that a
dog's claw's might damage the leather until I read a post
somewhere that a woman purchased a new car with cloth seats
just for that reason.

I bought a leather couch *because* I had a dog (singular at the
time) and Murphy's hair used to weave itself into every piece of
fabric in the house and car. She wasn't a couch dog, though.
My two current dogs are, and they've been on and off this couch
for years with no damage done.

There are different qualities of leather, though, depending on
the layer of the cowhide from which they came. Since I knew my
couch would be used by dogs, I splurged and bought the highest
quality that I could find.

Old April 13th 04, 02:50 AM
uzmk2lm

"Robin" wrote in message
I'll be adopting a rescued dog soon, my first dog.

If you're so worried about your precious car, leave the rescuing to someone
who cares more about the pet.

Old April 13th 04, 03:06 AM

uzmk2lm wrote:
If you're so worried about your precious car, leave the rescuing to someone
who cares more about the pet.

I think it's terrific to see someone being realistic about
some of the disadvantages that come with pet ownership.

Old April 16th 04, 03:45 AM
gina_joe

When you have a pet, at some point you will experience some type of damage
to something, some permanent and some not. If you are concerned about the
nails, keep them clipped often with GOOD CLIPPERS purchased from your vet,
the ones they have in stores usually aren't sharp enough and can actually
hurt the dog. If you haven't ever attempted it, take your dog to your vet,
which you should do anyway after getting him home and have them show you how
to do it properly. If the dog has whitish colored nails it will help you
see where to cut and the vet will show you this. Also if your dog walks on
cement it will help keep the nails short. Another think you might try is
caps for their nails, I have seen them online but I don't know exactly where
now, you might try doing a search. I have never tried these so I don't know
how well they might work, you might ask your vet. It's an option though.
With your dog being older I don't think you will have the rowdy behavior as
a much younger dog. With some patience and training your dog will know what
you expect, just be consistent with what you want from the dog, if you don't
ever want him on furniture, etc.. then one time is too many. No means no,
now, tomorrow and forever. Good luck

Old April 17th 04, 05:46 AM
Robin

"Robin" wrote in message
I'll be adopting a rescued dog soon, my first dog. Just purchased a new
car with leather seats and it never occurred to me that a dog's claw's
might damage the leather until I read a post somewhere that a woman
purchased a new car with cloth seats just for that reason. I'll
probably be getting a cocker spaniel, older, gentle (if that makes any
difference). And if its true, is there anything I can do with the claws
and some kind of protection to the seats that will protect them from
damage?

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4

Good info, thanks Gina.

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4