My experiences with finding the right dog

Old October 16th 03, 10:46 PM
Charles Richmond

Turbocane wrote:

[snip...] [snip...] [snip...]

The only reason I can think of that made breeders refuse us and rescue
refuse us is because I am in a wheelchair. I don't know if this is true or
not. However, other persons who are disabled tell me they have the exact
same problem. My dogs get more attention and care than anyone else I know.
I am their constant companion.

I know some rescue people who are pretty "small minded". But
I also know a guy in a wheelchair...who is a foster for a
rescue group. His wife does the things for the foster dogs
that he is *not* able to do. But he can do things like letting
the fosters out in the fenced back yard, re-filling the dog
water, brushing the dogs, etc.

Old October 17th 03, 06:09 AM
Lynn K.

Charles Richmond wrote in message ...
Turbocane wrote:

[snip...] [snip...] [snip...]

The only reason I can think of that made breeders refuse us and rescue
refuse us is because I am in a wheelchair. I don't know if this is true or
not. However, other persons who are disabled tell me they have the exact
same problem. My dogs get more attention and care than anyone else I know.
I am their constant companion.

I know some rescue people who are pretty "small minded". But
I also know a guy in a wheelchair...who is a foster for a
rescue group. His wife does the things for the foster dogs
that he is *not* able to do. But he can do things like letting
the fosters out in the fenced back yard, re-filling the dog
water, brushing the dogs, etc.

Our GSD rescue has 2 fosters who are in chairs - and one where both
adults in the home are blind. Not only do we also adopt to numerous
disabled adopters, we place a number of dogs with Guidedogs for the
Blind and with an organization that places protective dogs with
victims of violence. I would think that any breed rescue for breeds
commonly used as assistance dogs would be familiar with how disabled
persons live with their dogs and more than happy to adopt to one.
(within reason - I recently had to turn down an elderly gentleman who
had lost both legs who wouldn't consider anything other than a puppy
under 4 months old. I would have happily adopted an already trained
adult dog to him.)

Lynn K.

Old October 17th 03, 12:00 PM
Turbocane

Turbocane wrote:

[snip...] [snip...] [snip...]

The only reason I can think of that made breeders refuse us and rescue
refuse us is because I am in a wheelchair. I don't know if this is true

or
not. However, other persons who are disabled tell me they have the

exact
same problem. My dogs get more attention and care than anyone else I

know.
I am their constant companion.

I know some rescue people who are pretty "small minded". But
I also know a guy in a wheelchair...who is a foster for a
rescue group. His wife does the things for the foster dogs
that he is *not* able to do. But he can do things like letting
the fosters out in the fenced back yard, re-filling the dog
water, brushing the dogs, etc.

I would love to do something like that. I don't drive though so I couldn't
go and pick up dogs during the day. My husband works long hours so it would
be difficult. I do everything for the dogs except take them to the vet. My
husband takes them to the vet but other than basking in all the adoration
because he is the alpha (we have him fooled) I do everything. That is why
we decided on a small non-shedding breed.

My house is completely accessible and part of my backyard (we have an acre)
is fenced in so that the dogs and I can go out together.

We used to have cockatiels when I was more capable and we became an
unofficial rescue for people who had unwanted birds. Our vet used to give
us a discount when we would bring birds to him because we had so many at one
time.

Turbocane

Old October 17th 03, 12:11 PM
Turbocane

m...

Turbocane wrote:

[...]

It probably depends on the rescue and/or the area of the country or world
that the person lives in. In some places in the U.S. it is easier to find a
dog friendly hotel/motel than it is to find a truly handicap accessible one.
By that I mean one that a wheelchair can get into. Most unless they are a
major chain have door sills too high for a wheelchair but they think they
are wheelchair accessible. And it may depend on the type of dog rescue too.
GSD rescue would be familiar with guide/service dogs as you said.

Turbocane