"angel" vomiting

Old June 10th 05, 12:01 AM
joebuck

Default "angel" vomiting

angel is a 7 1/2 yr old akita/rottweiler mix.over the past 3 months she has
been vomiting.the vomit is mostly partially undigested dog food. sometimes
there is some grass in it. a couple of times i found what appeared to be a
plantlike substance-like a loriope leaf.however, i found no evidence of
any plants that had been chewed on.i talked to my vet and dewormed her
with panacure.also,i have been giving her the generic acid reducer
famotidine 20mg daily, plus a multivitamin with iron.she has also been
eating dirt.i would appreciate any input that might help solve this
problem. thanks, Joe

Old June 10th 05, 11:51 AM
buglady

"joebuck" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
angel is a 7 1/2 yr old akita/rottweiler mix.over the past 3 months she

has
been vomiting.the vomit is mostly partially undigested dog food. sometimes
there is some grass in it. a couple of times i found what appeared to be a
plantlike substance-like a loriope leaf.however, i found no evidence of
any plants that had been chewed on.i talked to my vet and dewormed her
with panacure.also,i have been giving her the generic acid reducer
famotidine 20mg daily, plus a multivitamin with iron.she has also been
eating dirt.i would appreciate any input that might help solve this
problem. thanks, Joe

..........how are the stools?
..........loriope - did you mean liriope - lily turf? If so, this plant is a
member of the Lily family (liliaceae), which are all generally considered
toxic.

Although this website says it's the berries and toxicity is low:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Liriosp.htm

......this all may be incidental, but if you have plants in your house try
putting them somewhere your dog can't get to them. I'd monitor her in the
yard for a while. Your dog must be eating something if there's grass in her
vomit.

.......any bloodwork done? Really the cause could be anything, from a
blockage in the stomach to problems like IBD. I don't know that I'd be
giving acid reducers though. Certainly humans eat them by the tons for
bellyaches, but I don't think it's really appropriate until you know what's
going on.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 16th 05, 05:47 AM
joebuck

PS angel vomiting. her feces is solid and dark black. it might be the "turf
grass" mentioned. it looks like a grass thats mixed in landscaping with
other plants and flowers. she has not had bloodwork yet but has had a
fecal exam that showed some bacteria common to feces; this is when the
panacure was recommended and used.after i have some bloodwork done i'll
report back.thanks -JOE