MYTH: THERE ARE MILLIONS OF DOGS SAFELY EATING 'COMPLETE AND BALANCED'KIBBLES STAMPED WITH AAFCO'S SEAL OF APPROVAL.

Old January 28th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default THERE ARE MILLIONS OF DOGS SAFELY EATING 'COMPLETE AND BALANCED'KIBBLES STAMPED WITH AAFCO'S SEAL OF APPROVAL.

You mean as in - who is giving the advice on this nutrition or what he
has? I don't understand your question...

No, I mean this: What are you doing to ensure that your dog
is getting a nutritionally-complete diet? Not ingredients -
nutrition.

Old January 28th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

wrote in message:

You mean as in - who is giving the advice on this nutrition or what he
has? I don't understand your question...

No. How do you know that your dogs' diet is nutritionally complete? What
is your understanding of the macro and micro nutrient needs of your dogs,
and how do you ensure that they a) get all the nutrients they need and b)
that they are in the correct proportion.

"I feed meaty bones, vegetables and organ meats, and that's all dogs need"
is vague, and doesn't address the question.

" I feed X amount of meaty bones with Y amount of vegetables and Z amount of
organ meats. The reason I feed that way is because the meaty bones I feed
contain the right proportion of A to B (say for instance Calcium to
Phosphorous), and the following trace elements. The organ meats contain
these other nutrients (name, proportions, quantity), and the dogs need them
in this proportion because of ____" that's closer to answering the question.

For instance, if someone where to ask you the following type of question,
you should be able to answer it, considering that you are formulating your
dog's diet, and therefore controlling whether the food's nutritional profile
is adequate for a dog.

Do dogs need Vitamin E? How much (in a standardized unit, like 10 IU/pound
of body weight or some such)? Why? What are the natural sources through
which your dog is getting Vitamin E?

IOW, as an example, if someone where to ask you how you should eat (not that
we all follow that) you should be able to formulate a well thought out
response about what sort of proportions of carbsroteins:fats we need, what
sources we should use, how much of what we should ideally eat, why, etc.
You are expected to have the same sort of rationale when you're concocting
the diet for your dog as well.

Suja

Old January 28th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
elegy wrote:
apparently it's a miracle i'm still alive.

Wait 25 years. It's amazing.

Old January 28th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"elegy" wrote in message:

apparently it's a miracle i'm still alive.

At least you are aware of what you should or should not be doing.

My diet for the day - 1 cup hot chocolate, a little white rice, handful of
banana chips. I'm in NO position to preach to someone else about what they
should or should not be eating (although I am well aware of just how
horribly wrong this is).

Suja

Old January 28th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"elegy" wrote in message:

apparently it's a miracle i'm still alive.

At least you are aware of what you should or should not be doing.

My diet for the day - 1 cup hot chocolate, a little white rice, handful
of banana chips. I'm in NO position to preach to someone else about
what they should or should not be eating (although I am well aware of
just how horribly wrong this is).

Suja

Let's see.
1 cup of coffee w/ a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream -mint/chocolate
2 lemon drops.
1 14 oz steak (ate half.. saved the other half for tomorrow)
Fried apples
Broccoli
1/2 baked potato (saved the other half for tomorrow)
1 roll with Jalepeno jelly

I'm stuffed!
Old January 28th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

wrote:
On Jan 27, 3:30 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

raw meat and vegtable mix. Organ meat sometimes. Plus doses of flax
and omega three oils.

I was asking about nutrition, not ingredients.

You mean as in - who is giving the advice on this nutrition or what he
has? I don't understand your question...

Don't worry about it Danielle. She's used to feeding kibble and when you
do you have to keep track of everything that's included because all of
them are nutritionally incomplete in one way or another so then you have
to buy supplements to fix what was lacking in the kibble.

Raw is different. The nutrients haven't been cooked out of it so as long
as they get meat, bones and organ meat and you feed a lot of red meat
you can't screw up. Here is something I posted awhile back in a Yahoo group:

Dropping the kibble minded attitude

nlr1@... wrote:

Hi,

I have a 15 week aussie pup who is on raw in the morning, pre-made with
meat, ground bone and organ and veggies, I add cottage cheese and

yogurt.

At noon she eats 1 cup kibble

At night she gets 1 cup kibble, cooked egg, cc, yogurt, oils.

I'd like to use this post as an example of how we all were trained to
think by the kibble minded. We see posts like this here all the time
and I know I used to think like that too.

We got used to thinking we needed to add things to our dogs' diets to
make it complete, and with kibble we really did. There are so many
products out there geared towards adding things to improve the diet.

Changing over to a species appropriate diet means we have to change
our thinking and go back to basics, trusting that it's really as
simple as it seems. It's a matter of trust really, and it's hard to do
at first. Adding things is a habit. Some of us tend to continue that
with premade raw mixes, many of which contain things not really necessary.

If we feed many kinds of meat, bones and organs we really don't have
to add anything past fish oil and vitamin E and then only when the meat
is not organic. On rare occasions I see a
pet that needs something because of a medical condition but well dogs
are fine.

It takes awhile to wrap our minds around this new way of thinking
sometimes but once you do it's rather refreshing!
Old January 28th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:38:15 -0500, "Suja" wrote:

"elegy" wrote in message:

apparently it's a miracle i'm still alive.

At least you are aware of what you should or should not be doing.

My diet for the day - 1 cup hot chocolate, a little white rice, handful of
banana chips. I'm in NO position to preach to someone else about what they
should or should not be eating (although I am well aware of just how
horribly wrong this is).

Suja

oh hell the dogs eat better than we do!
Nessa
--
trying to be the best human she can,
Old January 28th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

elegy wrote in
:

i have no idea what proportion of fats to carbs to protein i'm
supposed to be eating.

I don't think that's atypical. The difference is that you aren't going
around telling other people to adopt your diet because it's The
Bestest.

--
Shelly
Old January 28th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

elegy wrote in
:

i'm pretty sure it would be better if there were more pie.

pie rules.

I will not argue that, as it seems like sound reasoning to me. Hmmm.
I'm thinking tomorrow might be another snow day (it's been sleeting
since early afternoon, which can't be a good thing), and *that* could
mean baking an apple pie. Or apple tartlets. Or something like that.

--
Shelly