Dogs dogs dogs

Old April 8th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mary Healey[_3_]

Default Dogs dogs dogs

diddy none wrote :
I've never had a dog bury bones before. I thought it was a cliche that
never happened, really.

I've had dogs dig holes, but not bury anything.

So which of your dog's is eating the world now?

Well, I found one of my sneakers on the bed last night. The same sneaker
Caris very proudly grabbed and brought into the livingroom the night
before. The same sneaker I took away from him (traded for a chewable dog
toy). Not damaged, though it might have been.

I also found the clock-radio lurking on the floor. Hmmmmm.

With any luck at all (please doG), and some vigilance, I'll never have
another Destructo-Dog like Sam. I mean, the dog ate metal *staples* (under
the "anything in a plastic baggie is FOOD" rule).

I admit, though, I admire Duke's efforts to clear the sink of dirty dishes.
I find them neatly distributed on the sofa, perfectly clean (if you don't
consider dog spit a contaminant).

Ranger, for all his eccen... eccentric... um, 'quirks', is not a big
Destroyer of Stuff. He's got Sam's ball-obsession, though.

--
Mary H. and the restored Ames National Zoo:
The Right Reverand Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles;
Old April 8th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Mary Healey" wrote in message:

Nonsense. Walking up to complete strangers and lecturing them on
subjects they're quite familiar with isn't the fastest way to make
friends and influence people.

Not to mention, it was being done in rpd.HEALTH I can't speak for anyone
else, but I would hate for someone to come hear with an issue that is
actually pertinent to the group and then have it get lost in all this
nonsense.

Suja

Old April 8th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Well, I found one of my sneakers on the bed last night. The same
sneaker Caris very proudly grabbed and brought into the livingroom the
night before. The same sneaker I took away from him (traded for a
chewable dog toy). Not damaged, though it might have been.

Good puppy, so far

I also found the clock-radio lurking on the floor. Hmmmmm.

Just trying to figure out what made it tick

With any luck at all (please doG), and some vigilance, I'll never have
another Destructo-Dog like Sam. I mean, the dog ate metal *staples*
(under the "anything in a plastic baggie is FOOD" rule).

YIKES!

Old April 8th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 10:32*am, Mary Healey wrote:
wrote:
I do not care what Melinda or anyone else thinks. *Today's economy has
hurt everyone. *I built my lens to promote sites that offer free
advice, plans, training techniques, pics etc. to all the dog lovers
out there.

Because everyone else is too stupid to Google, cut'n paste ? *You say
you're new to the online community -- what makes you think that the
resources you've identified need to be compiled into one page, and that
nobody else has thought of it before? *Pretty much, if a novice can find
it, so can everybody else.

*And yes, I am a dog lover, and to the person that thinks
my dog's Lance and Sampson arent real...FU! *They were a big part of
my family, and the pain is still raw!

Since this is the first mention of them I've seen, how was I to know?

Instead of directing me to some spammity-spam-spam site, why not use
your time here to post some stories about your dogs? *What was Lance
like when he joined your family, and how did he change over the years? *
How did he change YOU over the years? *

What was the most destructive thing Sampson ever did? *The sweetest? *
The funniest?

Here, I'll start (although regular participants have heard my stories
over and over and over!):

Sam-I-Am was my first dog, if you don't count my childhood companion,
Sage. *Sam, bless him, was the Energizer Bunny on meth. *Exhausting just
to look at, and trying to keep up with his level of "busy" was a full-
time occupation. *He was the first dog I raised from a puppy, and the
last. *No way am I going to undergo THOSE first six months again, not
for love nor money. *Sam had to biggest sticky-up ears, a narrow, pointy
face, and the sweetest disposition.

It's because of Sam I started taking dog-training classes. *We took a
class every session for at least 3 years, and intermittently after that. *
He learned quickly, and retained pretty much everything. *It's because
of Sam that I joined my local AKC club (even though Sam himself was a
mix of ACD and "traveling salesman") and eventually started instructing
obedience classes.

True story. *I signed up to take "basic beginner" obedience classes with
Sam when he was 6 months old. *The first night, all the dogs were fitted
with chain collars. *(FWIW, the club still offers training collars to
students, but we've really moved away from using them as a first-choice
collar.) *The assistant took my whirling dervish dog, struggled to slip
a collar over his constantly moving head, and handed him back to me with
the comment, 'Oh, he's going to be FUN'

She was being sarcastic, but Sam really was a joy to train. *He made me
think I was a very skilled and talented trainer, when it's more accurate
to say he was a very talented and dedicated trainee.

For an example of Sam's epic acts, Google "The Great Jalapeno Bread
Disaster" rec.equestrian 03-18-08 for a recent telling of the tale.

His sweetest, most tolerant behavior was when a neighbor's toddler
tripped and fell on him. *Other than looking at me, eyebrows pleading
for rescue, he did nothing but lay perfectly still. *I do not recommend
dropping toddlers on dogs as a means of testing temperament, but it's a
pretty good indicator when it happens by accident.

Sam died June 15, 2004, age 14.5, and that was awful. *But the previous
14 years were pretty darned entertaing, and it's those years I choose to
remember. *I've got about a million Sam stories. *And Noah stories,
Ranger stories, Duke stories. *I've got a dozen Caris stories, and I met
him less than a week ago. *Tell us a story about your dogs.

If you were true dog lover's, you wouldnt be so insensitive.

Nonsense. *Walking up to complete strangers and lecturing them on
subjects they're quite familiar with isn't the fastest way to make
friends and influence people.

--
Mary H. and the restored Ames National Zoo:
The Right Reverand Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles;
U-CD ANZ Babylon Ranger, CD, RE; ANZ Pas de Duke, RN; and rotund Rhia

Sampson was a great joy. A wonderful German Shepard. (sp?) It seems
ages ago that he was just a pup. I fell in love with him the moment I
saw him at the rescue shelter. He was so easy to train. Had him
housebroken in a week (of course later in his life, the housetraining
reversed, no fault of his own, the poor boy tried). I was able to
take walks with him in secluded areas without a leash, he never left
my side. We had to get him 2 hip dysplasiasp? surgeries over the
years. Very costly but worth every penny! My whole community loved
him. As he aged, my chiropractor would come out once a week (for
free) and give him adjustments. The only time I could not trust him
was when he was near a body of water. If you let go of his leash, he
would be in the water in a heartbeat! I remember one incident where I
had his window halfway down while I ran in to the gas station to pay
for gas. When I came back out to the pump, there was a very scared
lady running up to me. I looked to see what was wrong, and apparently
Sampson liked her sporty convertible better than my LeBaron, so he
hopped out of the window and jumped into the passenger seat of her
convertible. LOL He looked at me as to say, "Hey mom, let's ride in
this one now" Many years later we got a dobie. Her and Sampson
played together wonderfully, although he was getting old and didnt
tolerate her 4 yr old behaviour sometimes. Either way, she knew he
was the boss. When Sampson was 15, we decided to breed our dobie. We
found a suitable stud and set it up that we would meet his owners at a
campground and we would all camp out for the weekend and let the dogs
"get acquainted". WRONG! Now at this point, Sampson was just barely
moving around and chose to stay in the bed of the pick up truck.
Well, once the stud came near our dobie, Sampson sprung out of the
back of the truck and made it known to the stud, that, that was his
girl and he better not touch her. That poor stud was afraid to go
anywhere near her the whole weekend. So the whole breeding thing was
a bust that time. I would type more, but I better stop now, Im still
kinda raw
Old April 8th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

diddy none said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've never had a dog bury bones before. I thought it was a
cliche that never happened, really.

Years ago, I bought pressed rawhides for Rocky and good ol'
Murphy. Rocky buried his right away, took Murphy's and then
buried that one. I searched and never found the spot.

A few days later, after giving him something good, I watched
Rocky from a window and saw the general location in which he
buried it. The hole was covered up very smoothly and was only
distinguished by the darker earth.

Old April 8th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

diddy none said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've never had a dog bury bones before. I thought it was a
cliche that never happened, really.

Years ago, I bought pressed rawhides for Rocky and good ol'
Murphy. Rocky buried his right away, took Murphy's and then
buried that one. I searched and never found the spot.

A few days later, after giving him something good, I watched
Rocky from a window and saw the general location in which he
buried it. The hole was covered up very smoothly and was only
distinguished by the darker earth.

I had a rescue puppy who tried to bury bones in my hardwood floors. NOT
a good idea! I think that some dogs are just hoarders and others are
instant gratification types. My current 3 are much too interested in
consuming things to bother with burying. My first dog used to save his
milkbone that he got when I left for work, until I came home. As soon
as I arrived, he'd bring it to me and eat it. I think "only" dogs are
the only ones to even try that.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 8th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I think that some dogs are just hoarders and others are
instant gratification types.

I think that's a good distinction. The only time any of my
dogs has buried anything, to my knowledge, was when Emmett
buried a big icicle I'd given him. I don't know if he ever
tried to go back for it.

But they've got excavation projects all over the yard.
Mowing is going to be interesting this year.

Old April 8th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

I think that's a good distinction.

Not sure where mine fall in that spectrum. Both will generally eat what is
given to them. Every once in a while, they'll both hide what they have.
With Pan, I only find out when she comes back with mud all over her face
either from burying something or from dredging up something that was
previously buried.

Khan has never tried to eat anything he's killed. They always get buried,
for some very loose definition of buried. Like a mound right in the midst
of a newly made flower bed with nothing else in it.

Suja

Old April 8th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Rocky spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy none said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've never had a dog bury bones before. I thought it was a
cliche that never happened, really.

Years ago, I bought pressed rawhides for Rocky and good ol'
Murphy. Rocky buried his right away, took Murphy's and then
buried that one. I searched and never found the spot.

A few days later, after giving him something good, I watched
Rocky from a window and saw the general location in which he
buried it. The hole was covered up very smoothly and was only
distinguished by the darker earth.

That's the funny thing. Tuck has never buried anything before, but he did
it so well, you would have never guessed. The hole was carefully dug out
evenly all around, and filled back in,, and stomped down firm, flat and
level so it just looked like a bare spot on the ground. It was artisticly
done. I was amazed he did so well for a neophyte