4-Yr old rescued YorkiePoo Snaps at us sometimes

Old June 19th 14, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mark1154

Default 4-Yr old rescued YorkiePoo Snaps at us sometimes

Louie was rescued by us several months ago. He's doing great and learning a lot. The only problem is that sometimes, without warning ,he snaps at us. He did it in a group of children the other day so I guess he felt threatened by the large group trying to pet him. He's done it several times before bed when he cuddles on a chair next to our bed. I reach out to him and sometimes he snaps for no reason. Worried about our new 10-month old Grandson whom we spend time with. He hasn't snapped at him but we're still concerned. Wondering how to change the behavior.
Old June 19th 14, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady[_2_]

On 6/18/2014 10:50 PM, Mark1154 wrote:
Louie was rescued by us several months ago. He's doing great and learning a lot.

The only problem is that sometimes, without warning ,he snaps at us.
He did it in a group
of children the other day so I guess he felt threatened by the large
group trying to pet him.
He's done it several times before bed when he cuddles on a chair next
to our bed.
I reach out to him and sometimes he snaps for no reason. Worried about
our new 10-month
old Grandson whom we spend time with. He hasn't snapped at him but
we're still concerned.
Wondering how to change the behavior.

........For the time being keep this dog away from children and people he
does not know before something bad happens. A couple of months is
really not enough time for a dog to get settled in, especially with an
unknown history. To me the dog seems insecure and he will use whatever
means he has to protect himself. It's your job to protect him. He is
just NOT READY for groups of people, particularly kids who are usually
screaming or moving fast. As a rule I do not let kids approach my dogs
without my permission. They need to learn that for their own safety.
And then it's one at a time, calmly and slowly. My dogs aren't
dangerous, but they need to respect the dog. They're not toys.

........I assume this dog has had a thorough vetting. Is the eyesight
OK? Is there hair hanging in the dog's eyes so he can't see around him
well? Can he hear OK? Medical issues could be hypothyroidism or some
other metabolic issue. Are there ANY medical issues with this dog you
know of?

..........I wouldn't pet this dog when he's not expecting it without
talking to him first and getting his attention on you so he can see the
hand coming at him. For some reason he's insecure. To build up
confidence train train train -to sit, to pick up a toy, whatever. He
might benefit from having an open door crate he can retreat to when he
feels uncertain about the world. If he's in there, leave him alone.
And keeping to a schedule for walks and feeding helps too. It gives
reassurance there's sameness in the world and it's not a scary place
where doG knows what may happen to you at any moment.

..........OTOH this dog may have just developed bad habits, but you won't
know that until you go through the above and see if he responds.

..........In the meantime do not let him in the same room as the toddler,
even with supervision. Just ain't worth it. Give the dog a chance and
he will probably come around, but don't push it.

Best of luck
buglady
take out the dog before replying