Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

Hello. I recently got a Female German Shepherd and Male Rottweiler
both pure bread a week ago. They are both now 9 weeks old. I am
curious if anyone has any tips or knowledge on good ways to train
them. I've had a two Shepherds and two Chiuahuahas both trained
pretty well but am very open to any tips or advice.

Quick notes on both of them to give you an idea of what I am dealing
with.

Female German Shepherd :
Taught her how to sit and go up / down stairs.
She taught herself to climb extremely well.
Affectionate, playful.
Shes starting to understand her name lately.

Male Rottweiler :
Playful
Taught him how to go up / down stairs.
Isn't very affectionate, would rather teeth on my hand rather then
lick/kiss me.
Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me. Was told if he does go to snap on me to put my fingers behind his
front bottom teeth and to put alittle pressure and tell him no.
Beginning to understand his name, but is catching on slowly.

Overall, I could use any tips or advice you'd like to share,
especially with these type of gender/bread dogs.

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months. Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside? The only
thing I have done with my previous dogs was taking their pee pads and
putting them outside frequently to let them smell them, and 3 out of
the 4 previous dogs caught on and would scratch at my back door to go
outside as they grew up. Anyone have any more advice? I live in a
split level home, with an upper and lower deck fenced in yard. If
that would help.

Very appreciate and thankful for the advice.! Hope you all have a
great summer.