Update from August

Old January 5th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Update from August

Back in August I had asked everyone for advice on adopting a 14 week old
puppy into our household. We decided to welcome Bacchus into our home and
he is now just over 7 months old (neutered as well). He is quite a dog and
is very welcome and
loved in our home.

We have been going to obedience classes and just finished those at the end
of December. We are also quite good at being a consistent household (maybe
a bit too much), which really helps alot! Agility classes start January 22
and we may also do some advanced obedience with him.

We would also like to share some pictures with you all:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56575568@N00/

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I enjoy readin *most* of the posts!
:-)

T.Stewart

P.S. On a side note I would like to thank all those that work for all the
rescue organizations for their hard work that they do. There was a very
good article in the Globe and Mail on Tuesday that I'd like to sha
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...y=dog+shelters.

P.P.S. Don't worry Jerry has been blocked.

Old January 5th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Back in August I had asked everyone for advice on adopting a 14 week old
puppy into our household. We decided to welcome Bacchus into our home and
he is now just over 7 months old (neutered as well). He is quite a dog
and is very welcome and
loved in our home.
We have been going to obedience classes and just finished those at the end
of December. We are also quite good at being a consistent household
(maybe a bit too much), which really helps alot! Agility classes start
January 22 and we may also do some advanced obedience with him.
We would also like to share some pictures with you all:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56575568@N00/
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I enjoy readin *most* of the
posts! T.Stewart

I'm so glad it all worked out/is working out so well! Congratulations, and
well done! And that is one CUTE dog!
--Katrina

Old January 6th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"T. Stewart" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Thank *you* for the update! Keep them coming and let us know
how agility goes.

Old January 6th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"T. Stewart" wrote in message
Back in August I had asked everyone for advice on adopting a 14 week old
puppy into our household. We decided to welcome Bacchus into our home and
he is now just over 7 months old (neutered as well). He is quite a dog
and is very welcome and
loved in our home.

We have been going to obedience classes and just finished those at the end
of December. We are also quite good at being a consistent household
(maybe a bit too much), which really helps alot! Agility classes start
January 22 and we may also do some advanced obedience with him.

We would also like to share some pictures with you all:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56575568@N00/

Thanks for posting the pics. He's a very attractive dog.

flick 100785

Old January 7th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"T. Stewart" wrote in message
Back in August I had asked everyone for advice on adopting a 14 week old
puppy into our household. We decided to welcome Bacchus into our home and
he is now just over 7 months old (neutered as well). He is quite a dog
and is very welcome and
loved in our home.

We have been going to obedience classes and just finished those at the end
of December. We are also quite good at being a consistent household
(maybe a bit too much), which really helps alot! Agility classes start
January 22 and we may also do some advanced obedience with him.

We would also like to share some pictures with you all:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56575568@N00/

wow, that's a great looking dog! what kind is he?

Old January 7th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

wow, that's a great looking dog! what kind is he?

Thanks! He is an (English) Pointer.

Although, it is funny, when playing hide-n-seek with us in the house he
doesn't seem to use his nose to find us, he just checks all of the previous
hiding spots to find us. Does his scenting ability increase as he grows up?
Is there some way to *help* it along?

I will definitely keep you all up-to-date!

T.Stewart

Old January 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

T. Stewart wrote:
"MauiJNP" wrote in message

wow, that's a great looking dog! what kind is he?

Thanks! He is an (English) Pointer.

Although, it is funny, when playing hide-n-seek with us in the house he
doesn't seem to use his nose to find us, he just checks all of the previous
hiding spots to find us. Does his scenting ability increase as he grows up?
Is there some way to *help* it along?

I will definitely keep you all up-to-date!

I've seen this with my border collies. When they're playing hide and
seek with the kids in the woods they definitely use their noses along
with their eyes and ears. But in the house they just check the usual
hiding spots. I suspect that the house is so saturated with all of our
scents that any odor trail is lost in the background noise.

I love to watch them play, especially outside. Since the kids are prone
to climbing trees, the dogs have learned to look up while tracking. But
apparently they have no real sense of what's climbable... They check
the tops of spindly saplings and tall shrubs as well as sturdy trees.
And ever since my son braced his hands and feet on opposite sides of the
hall and walked his way up the walls to hide against the ceiling, they
look up when checking the house as well.

Kathleen