kidney failure - drinking water

Old November 6th 05, 08:49 PM
AmyGG

Default kidney failure - drinking water

My dog has kidney failure and has had to go to the vet a couple of times
to be put on a drip of fluids to have her kidneys flushed out for 2-4
days at a time.

The vet has asked me to try and get my dog to drink more water as there
is no medication to help her. However, I am finding this difficult as I
cannot force her to drink! She does drink when she is thirsty or after
she has been exercising, but obviously this is not enough to keep her
kidneys going healthily.

The vet suggested adding some milk in, which I have. This got my dog
interested at first, but after drinking a little, she didn't bother much
again. I also tried adding in a tiny drop of sugar free diluting juice
which only caught her interest briefly. Any suggestions gratefully
appreciated as it seems that drinking more water is the only solution.

Old November 6th 05, 09:29 PM

In article ,
AmyGG wrote:
Any suggestions gratefully
appreciated as it seems that drinking more water is the only solution.

To get performance dogs to drink more it's common to "bait"
the water with meat or a salt-free meat broth.

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community.
Old November 6th 05, 09:36 PM
AmyGG

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
AmyGG wrote:
Any suggestions gratefully
appreciated as it seems that drinking more water is the only solution.

To get performance dogs to drink more it's common to "bait"
the water with meat or a salt-free meat broth.

Thanks but due to her kidney failure, she has to have a low protein diet
which involves eating less meat. So I would rather not put this in her
water.

Old November 6th 05, 10:09 PM
Steve Crane

Check with a company called Flavor-X. They manufacture a product
designed to be put on water and induce mroe dirnking. You can use this
with a renal failure diet as there is no phosphorus within the product.
They have a great new product called D-Pak. It imparts flavors to the
water that cause the dog to drink more water, without adding any
phosphorus to the diet.

http://pets.flavorx.com/

The company was kind enough to provide a full analytical on the product
so we could be sure it would not interfere with the renal failure diet
Prescription Diet k/d in any way. That's unusual for supplement
companies who often refuse to provide any data at all about the
products they produce.

Old November 7th 05, 12:12 AM
AmyGG

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Check with a company called Flavor-X. They manufacture a product
designed to be put on water and induce mroe dirnking. You can use this
with a renal failure diet as there is no phosphorus within the product.
They have a great new product called D-Pak. It imparts flavors to the
water that cause the dog to drink more water, without adding any
phosphorus to the diet.

http://pets.flavorx.com/

The company was kind enough to provide a full analytical on the product
so we could be sure it would not interfere with the renal failure diet
Prescription Diet k/d in any way. That's unusual for supplement
companies who often refuse to provide any data at all about the
products they produce.

Thanks. I am based in the UK, but have emailed them to see if this is
sold in the UK

Old November 7th 05, 01:51 PM
buglady

"AmyGG" wrote in message
My dog has kidney failure

The vet has asked me to try and get my dog to drink more water as there
is no medication to help her. However, I am finding this difficult as I
cannot force her to drink!

..........unsalted meat broth. Is she eating canned or dry food? If dry,
soak the kibble in the broth to make it soft before you feed her.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 7th 05, 11:09 PM
Janni Cone

"AmyGG" wrote in message
My dog has kidney failure and has had to go to the vet a couple of times
to be put on a drip of fluids to have her kidneys flushed out for 2-4
days at a time.

The vet has asked me to try and get my dog to drink more water as there
is no medication to help her. However, I am finding this difficult as I
cannot force her to drink! She does drink when she is thirsty or after
she has been exercising, but obviously this is not enough to keep her
kidneys going healthily.

The vet suggested adding some milk in, which I have. This got my dog
interested at first, but after drinking a little, she didn't bother much
again. I also tried adding in a tiny drop of sugar free diluting juice
which only caught her interest briefly. Any suggestions gratefully
appreciated as it seems that drinking more water is the only solution.

My guys will eat ice cubes as treats before they might dring water.
Certainly freezing some broth in cubes might help, too.

Agree with the suggestions of making a soupy broth with her food, etc.

Basically, any time you can add salt free liquid to your dog's intake - take
advantage of it!

Good luck to you.

Old November 8th 05, 01:53 AM
Kathleen

AmyGG wrote:

My dog has kidney failure and has had to go to the vet a couple of times
to be put on a drip of fluids to have her kidneys flushed out for 2-4
days at a time.

The vet has asked me to try and get my dog to drink more water as there
is no medication to help her. However, I am finding this difficult as I
cannot force her to drink! She does drink when she is thirsty or after
she has been exercising, but obviously this is not enough to keep her
kidneys going healthily.

The vet suggested adding some milk in, which I have. This got my dog
interested at first, but after drinking a little, she didn't bother much
again. I also tried adding in a tiny drop of sugar free diluting juice
which only caught her interest briefly. Any suggestions gratefully
appreciated as it seems that drinking more water is the only solution.

My dogs are healthy but they work hard in hot weather and I've looked
for ways to maximize their fluid intake. They strongly prefer ice cold
water poured out fresh into a bowl, especially if they have a chance to
lap from the stream as its being poured. I fill gallon milk jugs half
full of water and freeze them. When we go to practice or tournaments I
top them off with more tap water and bring them along in the cooler so
the dogs always have icey cold fresh *local* water to drink.

When they are drinking, or when I want them to be drinking, I pour the
water and I hold the bowl. As long as I'm holding the bowl they'll
relax and drink, but if I'm standing up or moving around they're
constantly worried that I might go and do something interesting and
they'll miss it (did I mention I have BCs?).

And, just a thought... Does she enjoy water play? Biting at the garden
hose, splashing in a wading pool, snapping at a sprinkler? Any chance
you could coax her into the shower by hosing a ball around the tub?

Also, Wyler's makes a sodium free instant boullion powder that could be
added to make the water more appealing. You can find it in the soup aisle.

I've also added the juice from raw liver to water to tempt a sick dog.
That actually worked really well.

Kathleen

Old November 8th 05, 08:47 PM
AmyGG

Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestions. My dog had an appointment yesterday at
the vet again so I asked her about the broth. She said no, because that
would contain protein and make her kidney failure worse.

I will try the ice cubes though. And will also add more water to her
food.

Thanks.

Old November 9th 05, 12:33 PM
buglady

"AmyGG" wrote in message
Thank you for your suggestions. My dog had an appointment yesterday at
the vet again so I asked her about the broth. She said no, because that
would contain protein and make her kidney failure worse.

..........It's not the protein, it's the phosphorus you have to worry about
when the kidneys have failed. AFAIC eating dry food with kidney failure
also make it worse.