New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu)

Old November 24th 03, 05:52 PM
MikeTheBike9

Default New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu)

My mother was the best housebreaker of dogs I ever saw. She had 8 week old
puppies 90+% housebroken in 3 days, and I exaggerate not. Maybe even two
days.
What she says is, after the puppy eats, drinks, or when it awakes from
sleeping, watch the dog carefully. It will probably go in circles with it's
nose to the floor immediately prior to squatting. Pick up the dog gently but
quickly at this point and just bring it directly outside to the area it is
sposed to use as a latrine. After it goes, praise it, pet it, and pay it
some attention. Hitting, and giving food rewards are unnecessary. Hitting is
wrong, in fact, as is rubbing the dogs face in excrement {You wouldn't do
it to a child, so what makes you think it is the way to teach a dog?}.You
don't even need to yell at the dog, just a stern no gets through to most
dogs. Dogs are very perceptive as to what you are trying to say to them. In
fact most dogs are much smarter than humans realize. Have a little patience
and stick to a regimen of training, and the puppy should get the idea. Mike.
"Ashley" wrote in message
a...
Hello everyone,

My husband and I just brought a new puppy (Shih Tzu) home on Friday

evening,
and while we know she's still just a pup (9 weeks old), there are a few
issues and we're not sure what to do about them.

First off, she cries like we're torturing her as soon as we put her in her
kennel. Last night we lost a good two hour's worth of sleep trying to

figure
out the best solution. We took her outside for a pee - she didn't go. We
moved the kennel into our room - didn't work. Finally after trying ear

plugs
and even shedding some tears, we moved her into the spare bedroom next to
ours. She cried a little more but by then I think she'd even worn herself
out.

Next, no matter how long we take her outside for, she won't go to the
bathroom until she gets back inside, and then she pees or poops on the
carpet. We walk her, keep her fed and watered and take her outside every
couple of hours, but it seems that unless she has to go to the bathroom so
badly it hurts, she won't go outside. We've heard of a pet scent spray
that's supposed to lure the dog to wherever we want her to go to the
bathroom, but beyond that, we haven't a clue what to do. Will that help?

We made a little "litter box"outside for her - just some black lava rocks

on
the ground. We're trying to encourage her to go in the same spot, but she
doesn't seem to ever want to. When she goes outside, she only wants to

play.
How can we encourage her to use this spot on a consistant basis?

So, if anyone has any advice with regards to either of these situations,
we'd sure appreciate it. We know we made the right decision in bringing a
puppy into our family but last night nearly broke us both.

Thanks in advance,

Ashley Dunn

Old November 25th 03, 12:18 AM
Kara

I've heard Lava Rocks are a deterrant for dogs. Apparantly there is a
mineral inside the lava that keeps them. You might want to go with
something else or put the lava where you don't want puppy to go.
Good luck, puppies are a lot work!

Canadian dog breeders? Gilles Leblanc Dog breeds 14 October 27th 03 08:52 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
What is our puppy? Sophie T Dog breeds 8 August 10th 03 05:26 AM
nine week old puppy Ladyver400 Dog breeds 0 July 21st 03 06:07 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM