Is getting a Chihuahua puppy reasonable for me?

Old March 28th 04, 03:42 PM
Pyro Doug

Default Is getting a Chihuahua puppy reasonable for me?

august8pm wrote:

I appreciate the help people have given me and others and I want to ask
this kind of "ultimate" question that I have.

Because I live in an apartment building in a colder climate, I had
planned to litter box train my dog. Yes, we'd still go out every day,
weather permitting. Overall, though, I think because of my living
situation and because I have a cat, litter box usage would be the most
convenient and least confusing for all involved.

Three days a week I work out of my house for about 8 hours. I am moving
towards self-employment that will allow me to stay home more often and,
when I do leave, stay away for shorter periods of time. But for now,
this is it.

So this is how I had hoped to handle housebreaking and puppy safety
while I was away. I know it isn't reasonable to expect a puppy to "hold
it" for 8 hours. What I had planned to do was puppy-proof my bathroom
(which isn't big, but big enough to manage), put his/her crate in it,
but leave it open with a litter box/puppy pad location placed where I
expect to permanently locate it. The bathroom isn't drafty, but I'd make
sure that the crate was cosy and well-stocked with towels and blankets,
not to mention toys.

Additionally, the bathroom is really the only place that I can close off
from my cat (see below) while not disrupting his routine. My assumption
is that if he's resentful of the new puppy (and me), which I'd expect,
it would be less so that way, too.

Ultimately, my goal is to allow the dog free reign of the apartment,
just as my cat does.

I want to raise the happiest, healthiest and most well-socialized dog
that I can. Keeping it safe and providing the best accommodation for my
puppy while I am away is of the foremost importance to me. I believe I
am ready to handle the responsibility, but I am willing to wait if the
time isn't right.

How does this situation sound to experienced and more knowledgeable owners?

Any feedback would be so appreciated.

* By the way, my cat is one of the least aggressive, most well-adjusted
ones I've ever met. He lost his partner about 6 months ago, so I really
believe that once he became comfortable with it, he'd welcome the new
addition.

I think it would be ok to get a Chihuahua puppy because i litter boxed
trained mine easily.Also living in an apartment is great since they dont
get very big.Im sure the puppy will manage for eight hours in the
bathroom by itself.I've had to leave mine alone for eight hours because
of work before.

New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu) MikeTheBike9 Dog breeds 1 November 25th 03 12:18 AM
Canadian dog breeders? Gilles Leblanc Dog breeds 14 October 27th 03 08:52 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM