Dog ate vegetable oil - throwing up

Old December 21st 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog ate vegetable oil - throwing up

My golden retriever puppy, age 8 months, got up on his back legs and ate
vegetable oil out of a pot on the stove (my husband made some
Christmas stuff and left it out overnight to cool so we could throw it
out). He has been throwing up - twice shortly afterwards, and then I
had to go to an appointment, so I put him in the bathroom upstairs so
that he wouldn't cause too much damage - came home about an hour later
and he had thrown up. I thought maybe that was all of it and put him
outside for a bit. He came back in and threw up on the steps, turned
around and threw up in the hallway and then went into the kitchen and
threw up again. He seems fine otherwise. He's outside right now.

My husband doesn't think he needs to go to the vet - my vet is closed
anyway - everything I find online regarding ingesting vegetable oil is
about GIVING it to puppies to help their digestive. That clearly isn't
helping.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris O'Meally
Old December 21st 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

It's quite possible that the excess fat has caused acute pancreatitis -
you should bring him to a vet if this vomitting continues - pancreatitis
is nothing to fool around with.

Flip

Old December 21st 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I would at least call the vet. Most of the time the vet on call will return
your call and ask some questions. It could be that the oil could have
irritated his pancreas.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I hope he is ok! Please let us know how he is....

T.

Old December 25th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Tamar wrote:
I hope he is ok! Please let us know how he is....

T.

Thank you all - he's fine now. He stopped being sick sometime around
3pm and has been as good as new ever since. In fact, that night he
"ate" a remote control for our TV - a replacement remote for the one he
destroyed after thanksgiving. shaking head

Chris