Jindo Dogs

Old December 18th 05, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Jindo Dogs

I have seen two Jindo dogs in the past month at an apartment complex I
walk my weiner dog by every morning. This is in Atlanta. One owner
(who had gotten it as a hand-me-down from a friend) thought hers was
a Shiba Inu. The other one thought it was a mutt with possibly some
Labrador!

Are these getting common? I had never met one casually and I really
liked both of them. They are the most graceful and agile dogs I have
ever seen, and great runners. One jumped up on me, and she was as
light as a feather. They were both friendly, well-socialized, and
polite to my little dachshund.

What a fantastic animal, and they look so nondescript, much like the
generic Southern Yellow Dog (not an AKC breed, LOL). Does anybody
have one, or have experiences with one?

(I have a weird doxxie with a giant nose, and he can find a rabbit a
block away. They'd make a good wilderness team, since he could hardly
catch a rabbit who stays above ground.)

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Old December 19th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:26:07 GMT Mason Barge whittled these words:
I have seen two Jindo dogs in the past month at an apartment complex I
walk my weiner dog by every morning. This is in Atlanta. One owner
(who had gotten it as a hand-me-down from a friend) thought hers was
a Shiba Inu. The other one thought it was a mutt with possibly some
Labrador!

Are these getting common?

Fairly common in some areas, largely those with significant Korean
immigrants.

I had never met one casually and I really
liked both of them. They are the most graceful and agile dogs I have
ever seen, and great runners. One jumped up on me, and she was as
light as a feather. They were both friendly, well-socialized, and
polite to my little dachshund.

That is great. Dog aggression and stranger suspicion (or at least
disinterst) is more common in the breed. With their high prey drive they
are not a breed generally recommended for households with smaller pets.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old December 19th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

wrote:

One jumped up on me, and she was as
light as a feather. They were both friendly, well-socialized, and
polite to my little dachshund.

That is great. Dog aggression and stranger suspicion (or at least
disinterst) is more common in the breed. With their high prey drive they
are not a breed generally recommended for households with smaller pets.

I only know one Jindo - a regular at our local park, where people let
dogs run and play off-leash. She's a lovely dog; with humans, she
reminds me very much of the better sort of Chow - friendly if she knows
you, politely indifferent if she doesn't. She gets on well with other
dogs, playing with ones she knows well, and being polite to others as
long as they are also polite; she never seeks out fights, but will
defend herself or tell off other dogs if need be.
**BUT**: her owner has to watch her carefully with small ones until
she's sure that the Jindo knows they're dogs.
Which leads to a strong corroboration of Diane's statement about prey
drive: The Jindo has killed every other pet her owner had (small
animals and birds), IIRC has killed at least one cat in the
neighborhood, and is an extremely determined and efficient hunter of
any sort of wildlife.
She's also not particularly good about coming when called; she
doesn't run away, and keeps track of her owner, but comes in her own
time and as she feels like it.

Old December 20th 05, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 19 Dec 2005 08:03:26 -0800, "cimawr" wrote:

I only know one Jindo - a regular at our local park,

Have you noticed an unusual grace or general athleticism in her? Both
the ones I have met moved like ballet dances (or great open field
running backs when the RPMs rise).

I should add that my sweet little doxie,who is fine with cats, will
kill small mammals if he can catch them.

Old December 20th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Mason Barge wrote:

Have you noticed an unusual grace or general athleticism in her?

Certainly not "unusual grace", and no more athleticism than you'd
expect from any well-built dog who gets to run off-leash on a regular
basis. Nothing that particularly distinguishes her from all the other
dogs running and playing, IOW.
OTOH, my dogs are competitive athletes (we do agility), and also do
things like high aerial flips and climbing trees, so my standards are a
bit different, I suspect. G

I should add that my sweet little doxie,who is fine with cats, will
kill small mammals if he can catch them.

Not surprising, since Dachshunds are, IMO, a form of terrier. G
And all three of mine hunt and kill, but, being more amenable to
training than a Jindo, only hunt what I consider appropriate prey, and
are able to live with cats.
WRT "amenable to training" - mine are a Redbone Coonhound/Chow cross,
a lurcher (half BC, half sighthound X) and a JRT, none of which are
generally thought of as easily trainable. The fact that I don't think
I'd want to take on a Jindo should tell you something. ;-D

Old December 20th 05, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

they look so nondescript, much like the
generic Southern Yellow Dog

I wouldn't say that Jindos are "nondescript", nor does the one I know
look like a generic yellow dog to me. If anything, I'd describe her as
looking like a lightly-built short-coated Chow with a normally shaped
muzzle.

Old December 20th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"cimawr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I should add that my sweet little doxie,who is fine with cats, will
kill small mammals if he can catch them.

Not surprising, since Dachshunds are, IMO, a form of terrier. G

Well, AKC does allow dachshunds in earthdog competitions. And they are the
breed of choice for many of the earthdog judges I have talked with.

Aren't they known as the "badger dog"? Any dog that can take on a badger
will consider small mammals child's play.

And don't I remember - did I hear it from Jo Wolf and/or from one of those
earthdog judges with dachshunds - that they are used by farmers in New
Jersey to send down woodchuck holes? I seem to recall the judge telling me
about how they first send down a small dog - she was suggesting that Sassy
at 12 inches was a good choice - and then, somehow, I assume, they switch to
the larger, heavier versions to finish the job?

Yeah, I am quite sure that sweet little doxie is at heart a real killer.

~~Judy

Old December 21st 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 20 Dec 2005 06:35:53 -0800, "cimawr" wrote:
[...]

Not surprising, since Dachshunds are, IMO, a form of terrier. G

I understand what you mean, but after two Cairns and a (wonderful)
Airedale, my little weiner dog seems downright tame. And of course he
has a hound's nose. But (for example) if I try to play tug with him,
he just gives me the rag after a bit.

The Airedale was actually easier to house train though, LOL.

BTW, the wirehaired doxie was developed by mixing in terrier, or so I
have read.

Old December 21st 05, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:09:47 -0500, "Judy"
wrote:

"cimawr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I should add that my sweet little doxie,who is fine with cats, will
kill small mammals if he can catch them.

Not surprising, since Dachshunds are, IMO, a form of terrier. G

Well, AKC does allow dachshunds in earthdog competitions. And they are the
breed of choice for many of the earthdog judges I have talked with.

Aren't they known as the "badger dog"? Any dog that can take on a badger
will consider small mammals child's play.

"Dachs" is German for badger, if that tells you anything. Hence the
long body and short legs.

Old December 21st 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Mason Barge" wrote:

"Dachs" is German for badger, if that tells you anything.

Yup! And "hund" does NOT mean "hound"; it means "dog". I've never
understood why the AKC put Dachshunds in the hound group, since by
function - going to ground after badger- they are absolutely terriers.