Dog Breeds, Expense

Old August 23rd 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.misc,alt.radio.talk.richard-dolce

Default Dog Breeds, Expense

Follow-ups trimmed

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Thomas Silverstein wrote:
Do you think that certain types of dogs tend to require a greater
financial commitment that others in terms of food, housing, veterinary
care and so on?

Yes. There definetly are.

Are there particular breeds that you feel require far less
or far more financial resources in order to properly care for them.

Define "far" Define "properly care for"
I spend more on my mutts than most people spend on their casually bred
purebreds - because of what fits MY definition of proper care.

I'm not asking in terms of the price one might pay to a breeder in order
to purchase the dog. I'm asking in terms of the financial means required
to properly care for the animal.

I would not want to bring an animal into my home that I would be unable to
properly provide for.

Part of the equation is what you'd pay other people to do vs doing it
yourself. For example, some dogs tend to drop their hair to the
ground which requires someone to clean up after it. Other dogs retain the
shed hair in their coat and the hair must be manually removed which
requires grooming.

The health problems of some breeds are deadly - not too expensive when the
dog just drops dead. Other health problems require a decision - fix it
for $$$ or put the dog down. Others require a decision - make the dog
live with it or spend the $$$ to treat it. Degree of risk of health
problems is related to degree of knowledge and care of the breeder, but
even the best breeder can't promise perfection. Day to day care of
something like a bulldog is important, health risks are skin infections
etc

Some breeds have a better track record for health than others.
Some breeds require more attention in terms of interaction and training -
and that costs time/money.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence

Dog Breeds, Expense Paula Dog health 0 August 23rd 06 06:31 AM
Dog Breeds, Expense [email protected] Dogs - general 0 August 23rd 06 05:02 AM
Dog Breeds, Expense [email protected] Dog health 0 August 23rd 06 05:02 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 January 18th 06 06:48 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 October 19th 05 05:38 AM