Sacramento CA - looking for home for our dog

Old April 7th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Sacramento CA - looking for home for our dog

Hi! I saw the link to this group on the SPCA site.
We have a dog named Copper. He's some sort of Corgi/Lab/possibly
dashund mix. He was abandoned in my parents' neighborhood a few years
ago and we took him home to be our family pet.
Our vet noticed aggressive behavior early on, while he was in the
older puppy stage, but we were not smart enough (at first) to pay
heed. We thought the dog had a good "reason" for his aggressive
behavior (growled at the vet who was taking him to get "fixed").
We took our dog camping, a year and a half ago, where he attacked a
girl who walked into our camp when we weren't there. Luckily she was
wearing jeans and was not hurt.
We immediately got ahold of the aggressive dog trainer our vet
recommended and had the trainer come to our home to help us figure out
how to teach our dog. We learned a lot from the trainer, and the dog
has been doing much better.
Yesterday, the dog snapped a little girl guest in our home. A grown
up pulled her away just in time -- he almost bit her. We have decided
that our family is just too busy with children (neighborhood children,
cousins, friends -- over all the time) to have a dog we cannot trust
around children.
Other aggressive issues the dog has: He is VERY protective of our
home and children. In some ways this is really nice, but he is over-
protective. If he gets out of the front door and isn't on a leash, he
will chase and bark madly at pedestrians or cyclists until they are a
few houses away. When guests come to our house, we have the dog in
the backyard until they've been here awhile, and then we have to
advise them not to pet him until he has warmed up to them. He takes
longer to warm up to men than women, and children he doesn't usually
need any time to warm up to.
Copper is a great dog for our boys. He has never been angry with
them, never snapped at them or growled at them. We have had some
problems (not often) with him trying to play bite our youngest son and
my youngest niece.
We were planning to take Copper to the SPCA tomorrow, but when I saw
this link I thought I would try here first.
Copper would be an excellent companion/pet for someone who did not
have lots of guests in and out of the house all the time. Once Copper
knows people, he is very easy-going and friendly. His aggression
stems from fear of strangers and over-protectiveness -- and from
little unpredicatable kids.
Thanks for your help.
Deborah
P.S. Copper had serious allergy problems for years -- one of the
reasons we kept trying to "make it work" with him (thinking no one
would want a dog w/ allergies AND personality issues). We just
discovered -- 4 months ago -- some skin and coat oil from Walmart ($4
for a 3 month supply) that completely cleared up his allergies.
Old April 7th 09, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"Burt Family" wrote in message
[...]

I cant really help you sorry, but it sounds like a bit of obedience from
aany trainer would help not neccecarilly for aggresiveness but taking a
different approch might help.
Look around your area for a nice trainer that knows about dogs.
I hope everything turns out well.
With more socailising it may be a great dog.