looking to get a new dachshund

Old January 12th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default looking to get a new dachshund

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003 at 5:14:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:51:03 -0800 Teddy whittled these words:
I am interested in getting a dachshund from a breeder around my area. The
puppy that I like is CKC registered (Continental). I know the CKC is not as
good as AKC but this puppy is exactly what I have been looking for. If I
want it for a family pet only does it really matter that it is CKC
registered?

Well, yes, and no. First, and most important, is that AKC is NOT a mark
of quality. The registry has better qualities, in some ways, than ConKC,
but an AKC registered dog can be every bit as poorly bred as one from
ConKC. The problem is that the reverse is unlikely. While AKC has
plenty of poorly bred dogs, it also has lots of well bred ones. ConKC
can't say the same. Well bred dogs in ConKC? THAT will take some
convincing.

I personally don't care if my dog is registered anywhere. But then again
I also won't encourage anyone to produce the kind of dogs I'm happy to
live with. I support shelters and rescues, not breeders. However, if I
decided to support a breeder then I would only support one that was
knowledgable, honest, worked toward breeding healthy dogs, and worked
hard not to add to the shelter populations.

I have no problem with the concept of supporting a caring, educated
breeder by buying a puppy from them. I'm having a very hard time
imagining a ConKC breeder that would be caring enough and knowlegable
enough for me to feel comfortable encouraging them to breed. For the
most part ConKC is the refuge of the breeder who lacks the ability or the
ethics to register with a more established registery. The registry
itself is not really the issue. But the choice of registry is an
indicator you should be paying attention to. When it comes down to the
bottom line it is YOUR choice of ethics. What kind of breeder and
breeding do you want to encourage and support?

What health clearances should I look for in the parents?

CERF - needs to be done annually
OFA for hips and elbows, vWD and thyroid

Pedigree research for incidence of epilepsy, diabetes, Cushings and
intervertebral disc disease.

The breeder should be able to positively affirm that the direct line -
parents, grandparents, greatgrandparents - were or were not afflicted
with these problems. The statement that "no one reported it" is pretty
weak. Good breeders are proactive in discovering problems in the
pedigree. A good breeder knows the health condition of parents, grand
parents, and great grandparents. They also know as much as possible
about the health and temperament of siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins etc,
because only with such knowledge can good breeding decisions be made.

http://www.dachsie.org/health.html
http://members.tripod.com/dachshealt...studies_of.htm
http://members.tripod.com/dachshealt...sk_disease.htm
http://www.dachshund-dca.org/Health%...d_Welfare.html
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/cli...o/discdis.html

From
the CKC website, it looks like they are sanctioning more events for CKC
dogs. Will it ever be considered a legitimate registry? Thanks!

I doubt CKC will make it as a "legitimate" registry. Nevertheless in
many ways I welome its existence. Now AKC is no longer a monolopy and is
less at risk if it decides to impose even more exacting breeding
standards. It may very well mean that AKC does eventually become a mark
of quality.

The health clearances are more important than the registry BUT - you
really should wonder WHY the dog is ConKC when it is an AKC recognized
breed. Apart from breeds like the Border Collie or Jack Russell
Terrier that have their own registry, most of the reasons an AKC
recognised breed is ConKC registered are bad news reasons.

Usually it is because (a) it is a puppy mill and AKC is now requiring
volume breeder to do a better job of proving parentage. Mass breeders
don't want to do that because - well - they've been lying about parentage
and can't prove it. See they manage to get their hands on ONE "champion"
dog knowing that people really like champions in the pedigree. Then
miracle of miracles nearly every pup they sell is the offspring of this
"champion." Except that they really aren't and the scheme falls apart
when AKC requires DNA testing as proof. This is a bad thing because the
ability to breed healthy dogs depends upon a trustworthy pedigree. OR (b)
they are breeders who have been convicted of cruelty charges and thus
suspended or otherwise prohibited from registering with AKC OR (c) they
could not be bothered with keeping different breeds well separated and
AKC suspended registration privleges because they were caught
representing mixed breeds as purebreds OR (d) one or more of the dogs in
the line is not AKC registered, nor registered with any registry with a
credible pedigree record, so they cannot register the puppies as AKC.
And again without credible pedigree records the ability to research the
health and other qualities of the line is hampered.

Are there "good" reasons a breeder might choose ConKC instead of
AKC? There might be. Convince me. I'm willing to listen, I'm just
skeptical. Ultimately I'm much more interested in what the breeder
*does* for the health and welfare of breed than what registry they can
wave around.

Diane Blackman

Hi Diane,

There are many reasons why one would choose to register with CKC. First of all, one of the reasons CKC was founded was to provide better customer service for members. This was something really lacking in the dog registry world at the time. Second, if a certificate of registration from another registry is lost or destroyed, what is that breeder to do? CKC is an open registry, so you have other options for registering the dog if the registration certificates are lost or damaged. According to the CKC website "Unfortunately, for many purebred dogs, their paper trail has been lost yet they are good examples of their breed and worthy of contributing to the gene pool for their particular breed."

CKC also has the breeder rewards program. Breeders can earn points and redeem them for valuable services. CKC has many wonderful breeders and CKC does prevent against unethical practices such as puppy mills.

From the CKC website, "To deal with unscrupulous dog owners, CKC maintains a strict set of Registration Rules that all members are expected to adhere to and abide by, whether they be individual dog owners, breeders, or kennel owners. CKC enforces its registration rules, policies and procedures among all of its membership through program checks, customer feedback, and a formal complaint process. In dealing with a complaint, CKC employs a wide latitude of investigative tools, including on-site inspections, professional tests, and document-gathering to determine the merits of a reported abuse of the registry."

Another reason a breeder may choose CKC over another club is because CKC recognizes more breeds. All dog owners and breeders should have access to the security and added benefits of registration. While the vast majority of registered CKC dogs ARE purebred, many dog owners love and appreciate the mixed designer breeds. CKC believes that these dog owners have a right to the benefits of dog registration as well. CKC believes in being more inclusive than exclusive.

--
*Continental Kennel Club, Inc.*
PO Box 1628 | Walker, LA 70785

Dachshund HELP! silberj Dog behavior 4 July 17th 06 11:21 PM
Dachshund Bekki Wilkins Dog behavior 8 January 17th 05 06:52 PM
Help! My Dachshund is not himself. Rick Dog health 6 July 30th 03 05:46 PM
Help! My Dachshund is not himself. Rick Dog health 0 July 30th 03 04:09 AM
Dachshund Opinions C Newlin Dog breeds 5 July 29th 03 06:03 PM