Older dog started barking when left at home evenings

Old August 29th 15, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Older dog started barking when left at home evenings

Don't know if anyone can help, but:

We have an Irish terrier, 11 years old now. His pal, a Weimaraner, who
was always boss dog no matter how decripit he became, died about 8
years ago.

Didn't worry when he was left at home, he still had his cat to keep
him company. Sadly, she died a couple of years ago, didn't quite make
it to 21 (I had planned a party for her).

Anyway, we got a rescue dog for company when we're both out, normally
5 hours weekdays. Rescue dog, probably a Staffy cross, is a delight,
bumptious, playful and loving. After a year of living with us, at any
rate, he was nervous and shy initially. The terrier is dominant,
despite new dog outweighing him by 50%

Anyway, both dogs are fine when left during the day, they have a walk
and a cuddle before leaving the house, and settle very soon. Excited
when [people come back, but not overly so, so I don't think this is
separation anxiety.

We occasionally go out evenings though (cinema, theatre, whatever),
and neighbours tell us that the terrier barks quite a lot. Not when we
leave, but after a couple of hours.

If it goes on past 10 pm. the next door neighbour comes in, says hello
to them, and then leaves them again, after which he's quiet.

The terrier that's barking normally goes upstairs in the evenings when
people aren't home, while new dog stays downstairs, quietly keeping an
eye on outside from his vantage point on the top of the sofa.

Both dogs are neutered males, older dog is 11, youger dog is about 3,
they have the run of the house when we're out - I find they're
generally happier if they can check on everything if we aren't around.

Suggestions, anyone?
--
Cheers,
PacMan

---

Old August 30th 15, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

PacMan225 wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:

[...]

Try lesving radio on when out and about. The very quietness may be
causing issues.

Carol

Old September 2nd 15, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 8/29/2015 9:21 PM, cshenk wrote:
We have an Irish terrier, 11 years old now.

We occasionally go out evenings though (cinema, theatre, whatever),
and neighbours tell us that the terrier barks quite a lot. Not when we
leave, but after a couple of hours.

If it goes on past 10 pm. the next door neighbour comes in, says hello
to them, and then leaves them again, after which he's quiet.

..........At 11 he may have hearing problems, thinks he hears something
so starts barking. If you usually come to investigate what barking is
about, just the fact that no one responds may keep him barking. This
may also be CCD, canine cognitive disorder. If you're interested I can
post a pile of links about that malady.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 2nd 15, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:28:07 -0400, buglady
wrote:

[..]
.........At 11 he may have hearing problems, thinks he hears something
so starts barking. If you usually come to investigate what barking is
about, just the fact that no one responds may keep him barking. This
may also be CCD, canine cognitive disorder. If you're interested I can
post a pile of links about that malady.

Thanks for that: appreciated.

His hearing isn't what it was, I bought a BarkBuster as a training aid
for us being away, and it doesn't bother him. He doesn't even notice
it.

I suspect that, like people, it's the higher notes that one starts
being unaware of. Young dog stays away from BarkBuster areas, old dog
does what he wants, and seems oblivious. I think he really is
oblivious, he can't hear that frequency range any more.

He barks when we're home, postman, doorbell and the like. Next door's
kids don't bother him, but he'll run out into the garden and bark a
clear challenge bark whe he hears the cat flap next door. He shuts up
when told to do so, though. So does young dog, who's much more
subservient (at least, as far as Rory is concerned. Stranger dogs?
They get the challenge/response treatment).

He is getting on now, he gets Metacam when his elbow clearly bothers
him, he hangs back after a while once he's had enough on the off-leash
walks (usually at least once per day), so he's pretty much
self-regulating insofar as his own exercise goes. Our vet has pointed
out that he has a degree of arthritis in his back and hips.

He may be just getting the grumpy old terrier syndrome. However, I'd
be interested in your list of links, if you're happy to share.

Old cat, didn't quite make 21, didn't recognise us towards the end,
and would try to run away when we came home, but was too stiff and
arthritic to make any speed. That was distressing.
I wouldn't like to think of my bestest dog ending up the same.

--
Cheers,
PacMan

---