Dog Breed

Old August 21st 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs,alt.religion.dake-bonoism
pfoley

Default Dog Breed

"Plague" wrote in message
m...
I'm a 39 year old married man. I have three lovely daughters ages 3,5,& 7
(stair steps) and we are thinking about bringing a dog into our lives.

I am attracted to the following breeds for various reasons: Doberman,
Great Dane, Bulldog (American & English) , rottweiler, mastiff &
bloodhound.

My wife is attracted to the following "breeds": labradoodle (mongrel), and
collie.

My daughters are attracted to the following breed: Dalmatian.

Does anyone have any lovely advice to offer?

================
I have owned Rottweilers and presently own one. They are my favorite breed
of dog. The problem with owning a Rott is, they are large and knock little
children over with their size, and so little children then become afraid of
them. Also they have to be with their owner all the time; they do not stay
in the yard unless you are there with them. They will go out; do their
business, and run back in the house to be with you. Some of them will
follow you around from room to room, which might be annoying. They are good
for retired people, people who work at home, or maybe someone who takes them
around with them in their truck all day. Some home insurance companies
increase your home insurance or may not insure you at all if you have a
Rotty. I do not know anything about Mastiffs, but consider the problem of
travelling with three children and a large dog in a car. My Rotty has the
entire second row of seats in my van; I am retired and my children are gone
from home. They are a great breed; very quiet dogs and love to ride around
in cars quietly. Even though my Rotty has an excellent disposition, I
never let her out in the yard with my grandchildren running around; she gets
all excited and chases them; she did that once and they were frightened by
her; that was the last time I let her out with them. Children run, scream
and yell when they play and that gets the Rottys all excited and sometimes
mouthy. I just don't think I would buy a Rotty yet if I were you, while
your children are so young. The Rottweiler is not a dog for everyone. I
have heard that Dobermans and Dalmations can be high strung, but I have had
no experience with them. I am not so sure Bloodhounds make good pets. I
would look for a mellow type dog, that does not require a lot of grooming,
that likes children, does not take up much room and can be left alone for
periods of a time during the day without wrecking your house. I do not like
barky dogs, and many small breeds are barky. You should get a dog breed
book and do some research on different breeds of dogs; maybe a Boston
Terrier or a Pug would be good. I would not buy a puppy; I always look for
a breed specific rescue group for the dogs I want. They know all about the
dog's dispostion and its good and bad points and you are giving a dog a good
home.