Max--tribute to a beautiful and noble service dog

Old March 12th 08, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Max--tribute to a beautiful and noble service dog

We never really figured out what breed he was. Was he a boxer mix?

Sometimes when I walked him he would act like a boxer and jab at a

cat, or surprisingly, at a homeless person. Maybe that's because

he worked so hard for his master, and was once homeless himself. He

was saying, "I found a place in the world where I could be useful

and helpful to somebody; why can't you?"

And though Max was a certified service dog, her owner, Velvet, and

I were told, when Max was "assigned" to her about seven years ago,

that Max had had some "issues" with his previous master. He didn't like

cigarette smoke, for example. Maybe his previous master was kind of

like what I think I might be like if I had a horrible accident and

was confined to a wheelchair. I might think that my life was now

so miserable that I should just sit around and booze and feel sorry

for myself. So I guess Max made some demands on his master,

which is probably a good thing too.

My friend Velvet never lets her disability discourage her from

being active socially, helping friends, researching arcane matters of

interest only to former law librarians or fans of everything from

inane British comedies to stuff like "Great Weeds of the Southwest".

No wonder Max was so devoted to her.

I loved this dog as much as I love my own dog. And "Stuart" never

had "issues" with Max that were serious. Once in a while, my Stuart,

a fifteen pound terrier, would try to assert himself. Max, at about

80 lbs. would just turn away. His amazingly soulful eyes, that everyone

noticed, seemed to say, "What's the point?"

My friend David and I used to take Max on long walks. We'll never

forget his jauntiness and playfulness. Alas, that athleticism and

agility was fading in recent weeks.

It was a difficult situation. Max had diffuse metastatic cancer,

similar to what one of my mom's dogs had years ago. Velvet and I

went back and forth on what to do. And I have been through this

before with my dog Simon, who had a different kind of cancer.

Experiences like this teach us a little about our own mortality,

a point made in a book I am reading called DOG YEARS. Their lives

are so abbreviated compared to those of humans, and yet they touch

us so acutely.

Max, I will see you at the Rainbow Bridge. See below (some

misspellings but one of my favorite sites on this issue):

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/legendh...bowbridge.html

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old March 12th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Thank you for the tribute of a wonderful dog. I offer sincere condolences in
his loss.

Old March 14th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
\(the\)duckster

"A. Brain" wrote in message
[...]

Even though I don't know these dogs personally, it never fails to grieve me
when I read of a passing.

Consider now with joy that Max is healed and whole, waiting only to be
reunited with you again on the other side.

My deepest and most sincere condolences. Well written, beautifully said.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Old March 15th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
William Clodius

I always appreciate a well written tribute, but particularly appreciate
one for someoneelse'dog.s

Happy Noble update Shelley Dog behavior 18 November 2nd 03 01:56 PM
Noble Update Shelley Dog behavior 28 October 30th 03 04:35 PM
Noble Update Shelley Dog behavior 0 October 30th 03 04:10 AM
Noble Update Shelley Dog behavior 0 October 30th 03 04:10 AM
Noble Update Shelley Dog behavior 0 October 30th 03 04:10 AM