Harley and allergies--what do I ask the vet to test for?

Old November 11th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

Default Harley and allergies--what do I ask the vet to test for?

I think we have food allergies.

He was firm enough on white rice and boiled protein (with a bit of
yogurt and green beans)

I added 1/4 cup of some high quality dog food and he seemed OK
but once I upped it to 1/2 cup he's nearly liquid again (thankfully he
holds it till we go out)

He's been with me for 4 weeks now so I'm pretty sure it's not water
sensitivity as was suggested elsewhere.

Hubby suggested it was the stress from my son visiting on Sunday, but
he's more liquid this morning than he was Sunday night or Monday (when
I upped the food from 1/4 a cup to 1/2 cup)

I heard his brother (littermate) is on Solid Gold Mmillennia and
doing well
http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/pr.../pro_mmil.html

I checked and it's available in my area but before I go switching
around foods again I think he needs to see the vet

aside from testing for bacteria (has to be sent out but will be back
in 24 hours) is there anything else we should ask about?

thanks,

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old November 11th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Nessa wrote:

aside from testing for bacteria (has to be sent out but will be back
in 24 hours) is there anything else we should ask about?

I'd be looking at and treating for giardia. Hard to find and simple to
treat.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 11th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

I heard his brother (littermate) is on Solid Gold Mmillennia and
doing well
http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/pr.../pro_mmil.html

I checked and it's available in my area but before I go switching
around foods again I think he needs to see the vet

aside from testing for bacteria (has to be sent out but will be back
in 24 hours) is there anything else we should ask about?

I'd definitely have him checked for parasites, though it does sound like
food is the issue. On the one hand, if parasites are causing the
problem, I'd expect it to always be present. On the other hand, the
amount of rice he's been eating may have been sufficient to firm up his
stools (it acts as a binder).

I'd also ask them about IBD.

If it were my dog, since he's had diarrhea, I'd put him on probiotics to
make sure that he's got sufficient "good" intestinal flora. That's just
standard in my house. Also standard whenever oral antibiotics are
given.

I don't know what you're feeding, but I'd consider that it might not be
agreeing with him. Maybe not an allergy, but a food sensitivity. I
think it's impossible to guess at this point whether or not Solid Gold
will be helpful. I'd first look at what he's currently eating, and try
to make an educated guess as to what ingredient(s) might be contributing
to his diarrhea. Then, I'd look for a limited ingredient food that did
not contain those things. IMO Mmillennia isn't one of those foods.

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Nessa wrote:
I added 1/4 cup of some high quality dog food and he seemed OK
but once I upped it to 1/2 cup he's nearly liquid again (thankfully he
holds it till we go out)

If he was fine on lower quantities and developed the
skitters on larger quantities it's very possible that the
larger quantities are just too much food. I'd cut back
to the lower quantity and keep an eye on his weight.
Diarrhea is one indication of overfeeding.

Old November 11th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I'd cut back
to the lower quantity and keep an eye on his weight.
Diarrhea is one indication of overfeeding.

Definitely. It's also possible that the percentage of rice is so high
that it's masking a problem. I think I'd try cutting back on the rice,
but leaving the kibble (I assume it's kibble) at 1/4 cup, just for a day
or two, to see what happens.

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:33:04 -0500, Janet Boss

Nessa wrote:

aside from testing for bacteria (has to be sent out but will be back
in 24 hours) is there anything else we should ask about?

I'd be looking at and treating for giardia. Hard to find and simple to
treat.

so is a test REQUIRED or can we just treat for it or is that harmful?

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Old November 11th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:43:59 -0500, "Shelly"
wrote:

If it were my dog, since he's had diarrhea, I'd put him on probiotics to
make sure that he's got sufficient "good" intestinal flora. That's just
standard in my house. Also standard whenever oral antibiotics are
given.

I don't know what you're feeding, but I'd consider that it might not be
agreeing with him. Maybe not an allergy, but a food sensitivity. I
think it's impossible to guess at this point whether or not Solid Gold
will be helpful. I'd first look at what he's currently eating, and try
to make an educated guess as to what ingredient(s) might be contributing
to his diarrhea. Then, I'd look for a limited ingredient food that did
not contain those things. IMO Mmillennia isn't one of those foods.

does plain yogurt provide enough probotics or is there a supplement I
need?

as for what I'm feeding him:

rice (or white potato)
boiled ground beef (or boiled chicken)
some green beans
some plain yogurt

it took 3 1/2 days on rice and beef to start to firm up after canidae
I've kept him on 1/2 cup of rice 1/2 cup of beef/chicken a handful of
green beans and two heaping tablespoons of yogurt twice a day and he's
NOT gaining at all. even with his stools firming up.

He has energy
his coat is looking better
is eyes are not as runny

I added 1/4 cup and he seemed ok... did that for 2 days then went to
up it to the 1/2 cup (not reducing the rice and beef since he's not
gaining he is not getting enough food (and remember he's still a
puppy)

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Old November 11th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Nessa wrote:

so is a test REQUIRED or can we just treat for it or is that harmful?

Test is simple and fast but often doesn't show it. Treating is not
harmful, but requires vet scrip.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 11th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

when I grab his fur I get SIX INCHES of skin/fur lifted away from his
spine...

That's not really a good way to measure appropriate weight/fitness. I
get about the same amount of slack when I pull on Harriet's skin. Some
dogs just have lots of extra skin. That's not to say that he's not
underweight--he may well be--but I wouldn't judge it by the amount of
slack in his skin.

--
Shelly

Introducing Harley Nessa Dog behavior 64 October 28th 08 12:02 PM
Harley and the Steps. Nessa[_2_] Dog behavior 29 October 25th 08 04:23 PM
How to Test Your Dog for Food Allergies ashley ross Dog activities 0 June 26th 08 11:41 AM
How to Test Your Dog for Food Allergies jose clark Dogs - general 0 January 28th 08 09:23 AM
Harley went home Kathleen Dog behavior 5 August 25th 07 06:47 PM