Which breed should I get???

Old November 30th 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default Which breed should I get???

I'm really having a hard time deciding which breed I should get. I
love sighthounds and I really like Azawakh, but they are headstrong
and I don't feel I'm ready to own one yet. I was going to get a
different sighthound breed. I really like Afghan Hounds, Basenji,
Saluki, and Sloughi. I've met Afghan Hounds, Basenji, and Saluki, but
never a Sloughi. I know Basenji are different from other sighthounds,
but I have a Min Pin right now that I feel acts very similarly to a
Basenji and I love my Min Pin.

I like dogs that are very independent, NOT needy at all. I don't like
an in your face dog that will die without your constant waking
attention. I don't mind brushing a dog, but I don't want to clip and
shave one monthly. I have a large fenced in yard and will also run
with the dog on an ATV and walk the dog a few times a week for about
1-2 miles. I don't want an extremel active dog, I would prefer one
that is relaxed and is a couch potato. But I also don't want it to not
do anything, I want some activity and playing. I don't want a noisy
dog, I want a quiet one.

Can any one help me?
Old November 30th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Phyrie

wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps you could try a greyhound rescue group? From what I've read
greyhounds are more than happy to be couch hounds, as long as they get a few
runs in now and then. Sounds like a good match to your needs, although I
have no personal experience with the breed.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old November 30th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 5:51*am, Robin Nuttall wrote:
wrote:
I know Basenji are different from other sighthounds,
but I have a Min Pin right now that I feel acts very similarly to a
Basenji and I love my Min Pin.

It sounds like you've put good thought into this but Basenji's are not
at all like Min Pins. Basenji's are much more aloof and don't have the
clownish sense of humor that Pins do. While Pins are not always in your
pocket (though some are) they are not at all aloof. Pins tend to be
cooperative. Basenji's, not so much.

Basenjis, while barkless, are hardly voiceless. They can make a
tremendous noise, some of it bloodcurdling.

I second the person who recommended a rescue greyhound.

My Min Pin is VERY independent, she is not at all affectionate or
cuddly. She does not act like a typical Min Pin and I know that. And
from every single source that I've read, they said that Basenji are
very very silly and clownlike. And I do not want a greyhound.
Greyhounds are aesthetically pleasing to me, they are too chunky
compared to the other sighthound breeds. And I've read from owners and
other sources that retired racing greyhounds have shortened lifespans
and almost always succumb to cancer.
Old November 30th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 00:56:58 -0800, "Phyrie"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Greyhounds are not all that independent compared to some of the other
sighthounds (Borzoi, Salukis). If the OP doesn't want to do much
grooming, an Afghan or Saluki is not the right choice.

Mustang Sally

Old November 30th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky[_2_]

sighthounds & siberians said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Silly and clownlike aren't the first characteristics that
come to mind when I think Basenji. They're a handful, with
a capital hand.

I agree. The adjectives I'd associate with Basenji are
confrontational, loud, and independent.

The OP needs to identify more closely the activities s/he wants
to do with the dog. My personal preference in sighthounds for
what I'm involved in is Whippet.

Old November 30th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sighthounds & siberians

On 30 Nov 2008 20:03:07 GMT, Rocky wrote:

sighthounds & siberians said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Silly and clownlike aren't the first characteristics that
come to mind when I think Basenji. They're a handful, with
a capital hand.

I agree. The adjectives I'd associate with Basenji are
confrontational, loud, and independent.

The OP needs to identify more closely the activities s/he wants
to do with the dog. My personal preference in sighthounds for
what I'm involved in is Whippet.

I got Robin the Whippet for agility, shortly before I became unable to
do anything involving, or even resembling, the word "agile". But I've
not seen many Whippets competing in agility, and I've always wondered
why. Have you? I guess you must have, or you wouldn't say that.
They certainly have the drive to run/chase and do well in lure
coursing and amateur racing.

Mustang Sally
Old December 1st 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Judy

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
I got Robin the Whippet for agility, shortly before I became unable to
do anything involving, or even resembling, the word "agile". But I've
not seen many Whippets competing in agility, and I've always wondered
why. Have you? I guess you must have, or you wouldn't say that.
They certainly have the drive to run/chase and do well in lure
coursing and amateur racing.

There are a couple/three/four? people around here doing agility with
whippets.

One woman runs two and does a great job with both of them.

They all seem to be somewhat soft. They seem to shut down pretty easily is
the handler gets at all harsh. What I notice is that their handlers are the
most incredibly upbeat people out there. No matter what.

Judy

Old December 1st 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:40:58 -0500, "Judy"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .
I got Robin the Whippet for agility, shortly before I became unable to
do anything involving, or even resembling, the word "agile". But I've
not seen many Whippets competing in agility, and I've always wondered
why. Have you? I guess you must have, or you wouldn't say that.
They certainly have the drive to run/chase and do well in lure
coursing and amateur racing.

There are a couple/three/four? people around here doing agility with
whippets.

One woman runs two and does a great job with both of them.

They all seem to be somewhat soft. They seem to shut down pretty easily is
the handler gets at all harsh. What I notice is that their handlers are the
most incredibly upbeat people out there. No matter what.

Yes, they are definitely soft dogs that shut down easily. The sports
they're best at (IME) are sports that require little training or human
intervention.

Mustang Sally