How much onion will kill or hurt a dog

Old December 9th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
David[_5_]

Default How much onion will kill or hurt a dog

I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

David
Old December 9th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
David wrote:

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

Just give up giving her casserole remains. Eat them yourself and skip
the onions for your dog.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 9th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

The amount varies from dog to dog, so avoid it altogether.

The fact that you give your dog people food is concern enough in terms of
the possibility of pancreatitis, GI upset and long term obesity. She doesn't
need it. You give it to her for you. Save those kinds of treats for special
ocassions. On Thanksgiving we give our dog a few bites of cooked turkey
minus any extra salt and especially gravy.

Some good "people treats" are raw baby carrots. Use instead of manufactured
treats. All fiber - nice and cold and crunchy and not bad for the teeth.
Pieces of apples, orange slices, raw veggies. But always avoid garlic,
onion, grapes and raisins. Especially gravy and fatty products. Stick to the
recommended servings of dog food and remember that the package directions
tell you dole out an amount at the very top of the recommendations for
weight so they can sell more. Reduce it a bit.

Another treat - take some nuggets of kibble from the daily allowed amount
and freeze them in a ziploc type baggie. Dogs love the frozen treat and
don't realize it's part of their daily allowance.

Old December 9th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"David" wrote in
message news
I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

I found this information, which includes other food items I did not know
about:

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...s&story_no=257

Paul and Muttley

Old December 9th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

"David" wrote in
message news
I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

I found this information, which includes other food items I did not know
about:

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...s&story_no=257

Paul and Muttley

In particular, to answer the OP question, this page says:
---------
Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or
with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600
to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed
150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The
condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that
garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause
illness.
---------

So the effects are cumulative. It seems like *any* amount of onion will
destroy red blood cells. How many red blood cells you can afford to loose
obviously depends on size of dog. It seems from this particular article,
that a small amount of onion on a one off basis isn't likely to cause any
permanent damage, however making onion a regular part of your dog's diet is
probably a bad idea.

My own 'solution' which somewhat satisfies the not giving onions, not
feeding too many table scraps, and the big puppy dog eyes that say 'feed me'
is to start by scraping the plate in to the garbage, and then let the dog
have the 'lickings'.

Dale

Old December 11th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
David[_5_]

In article ,
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

"David" wrote in
message news
I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

I found this information, which includes other food items I did not know
about:

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...ecie=dogs&stor
y_no=257

Paul and Muttley

Thanks Paul - stuff I didn't know there

Much appreciated

David
Old December 11th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
David[_5_]

In article ,
David wrote:

I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

David

Thanks to all that answered. Realistically I will continue to give her
the remains of my casseroles as they contain good healthy stuff - prime
beef, veges etc (and she always gets the lickings off my plate)

But I will just leave out the onion altogether from now on. And the
sultanas, which I had no idea were bad for her. Not much of a sacrifice
for my best friend/

cheers

David and Josie
Old November 27th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Monday, December 8, 2008 11:31:16 PM UTC-5, David wrote:
I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

David

600-800 gram of onion for the 10 kg dog implies they need to ingest 6-8% of their body weight of onions in a single setting. If I eat 10-15 lbs of onions in a single setting I think I might die as well. Some canned dog food do use onions for flavoring. Tiny amounts of onions, garlic and gasp even grapes aren't going to harm a dog. Pet food makers understand these foods aren't cyanide even if ever poorly written article by clueless media don't. A typical 10 kg dog should have 600- 800 grams of total dry food every 3-4 days to put this in perspective.
Old November 27th 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Monday, December 8, 2008 11:31:16 PM UTC-5, David wrote:
I have heard that onion is very bad for dogs and can kill them. So, of
course I avoid giving my Josie onion although she is often sad when I
throw out the remains of my casseroles because they have onion in them.

She loves people food and I would gladly give her the remains, but do
not wish to endanger her health.

I could give up putting onion in, but hope I do not have to.

David

By the way I'm getting ready to take my nearly 17 year old border collie on a few mile walk. Now that the weather has cooled off I do have trouble keeping up. She's occasionally had small amounts of onions and garlic in in soup, lamb, bison and fish high in Omega 3s since we got her. So relax if your dog eats a dropped grape or if your feeding your dog very healthy diet with traces of onions and garlic occasionally. My dogs eat a far healthier diet than if they eat only commercially prepared dog food. Tylenol is about a thousand times more toxic to dogs and humans by weight. By all means don't leave an order of onion rings out for your dog but common sense is needed.. And cats are much more sensitive so I'd take the onion paranoia more seriously if you have a cat in charge of the home.
Old June 9th 15, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Outstanding kids friendly male and female pug pups out for adoption.they will come along side with their feeding manual and some toys for them to play with.contact me at ks

Dachshund mix hurt leg Billy Dog health 14 November 25th 08 10:38 PM
onion powder MauiJNP Dog health 32 November 12th 07 12:44 AM
onion powder and other food concerns MauiJNP Dog health 15 November 10th 07 12:14 AM
Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs? scribe Dog health 41 December 16th 05 11:13 PM
With news stories daily about pets that bite, maim, and even kill, it is increasingly important to make sure your pup doesn’t ‘act out’, and hurt someone. Jide Dog rescue 1 May 18th 05 12:04 AM