Thinking of getting a new Border Collie puppy

Old September 3rd 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Roddy

Default Thinking of getting a new Border Collie puppy

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy
Old September 3rd 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Char

Roddy wrote:
Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy

Instead of training him not to be him, change yourself to handle a high
energy dog that is extremely smart. You will have to exercise him a lot,
especially as a pup. You will have to go out of your way to keep him
mentally occupied too. That breed does best if you get involved in
activities like Frisbee competitions, agility, anything that pushes his
brain and body to be in high gear.

If you were looking for a lap dog this isn't it. If you can't spend a
lot of time with him consider another breed.

Make sure he fits your life or you will both be miserable.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Roddy

Char wrote:
Roddy wrote:
[...]

Sorry, i've been pretty vague.
It's that I've read various times that Border Collies owners have some
unique problems with them.
One example is the dog herding the owner while taking a walk making him
fall. Others are cornering cats and not let them leave for ours.

I'm not looking for a lap dog, i usually travel a lot by day and he can
acompany on most of my trips so he'll probably spend a lot of his time
with me walking from place to place. I also run 1 hour after work.

My biggest concern is that since it's a herding dog giving him a life in
the big city walking from place to place all day might not be the best
thing for him and, like you said:
That breed does best if you get involved in
activities like Frisbee competitions, agility, anything that pushes his
brain and body to be in high gear.

and i don't really think those kinds of activities i do will be
good/enough for him (mentaly at least)

hope my message helped

Old September 3rd 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Roddy

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 02:04:59 +0100, Roddy
wrote:

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy

How many dogs have you had in your life? If so, what breeds? How many
dogs have you fully trained all by yourself? Have you ever competed in
any dog sport? Would you like to? What's your personal story? Single?
Married? Family? Children? Work all day? Live in the city? Country?
Suburbs? What kind of activities do you enjoy? Lots of breeds are
smart and loyal. Why do you specifically want a Border Collie? And
what were the "usual problems" that have you concerned?

The answers to those questions will help people here to answer your
questions.

How many dogs have you had in your life?

2
If so, what breeds?

all mutts
How many dogs have you fully trained all by yourself?

all of them were trained to some extent
Have you ever competed in any dog sport? Would you like to?

no and no
What's your personal story? Single?
Married? Family? Children? Work all day?

live alone and even though i have to work, he can acompany me most of
the time
Live in the city? Country?

yes madrid
What kind of activities do you enjoy?

after work i always go jogging for an hour or so (and that's basically it)
Lots of breeds are
smart and loyal. Why do you specifically want a Border Collie?

i really hate to say this but i think that they are one of the most
beutifull breed i've ever seen.

the usual problems that i've been reading are herding of the owners that
makes them trip and fall, cornering cats for hours and that they also
startle with loud noises and that makes them over-react and since i live
in a big city i don't know if that's a good thing :\
Old September 3rd 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 03:48:09 +0100, Roddy

wrote:

[...]

There were some positive answers, Roddy, but not enough to make me
think that a Border Collie would be the right dog for you, especially
if you wanted a puppy. Being single and working all day make it
particularly difficult to raise a puppy, especially in a big city. And
Border Collies sometimes do very poorly in the big city. Sure, it can
be done, but I get the impression that you're still a bit of a novice
when it comes to dogs. And deciding on a breed because of its beauty
isn't a very good idea either. So my hunch is that a BC isn't the
right dog for you. But if you decide you want one anyway, go visit a a
few shelters first. I don't know what the situation is like in Madrid,
but many shelters in the U.S. have quite a few BCs available for
adoption. Spend some time there, and ask a lot of questions. The
shelters' employess may be able to help you to take a better decision.
Old September 5th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Char

Roddy wrote:
Char wrote:
Roddy wrote:
[...]

I've had many Aussies over the years which are very similar and I've not
had them herd me ever although YMMV. As for cornering cats, I don't
think that is specific to BC's. Some dogs do it, some don't. I don't
think any of my dogs would know what to do with a cat if they had it
cornered. The chase is the fun part.

I'm not looking for a lap dog, i usually travel a lot by day and he can
acompany on most of my trips so he'll probably spend a lot of his time
with me walking from place to place. I also run 1 hour after work.

He/she would probably enjoy that.

My biggest concern is that since it's a herding dog giving him a life in
the big city walking from place to place all day might not be the best
thing for him and, like you said:
That breed does best if you get involved in
activities like Frisbee competitions, agility, anything that pushes his
brain and body to be in high gear.

and i don't really think those kinds of activities i do will be
good/enough for him (mentaly at least)

hope my message helped

Well the dog's job would be to walk with you. I don't see that as so
different than those other things. He's getting out, exercised all day,
kept mentally busy. What more could a dog ask for? I could see maybe a
short little pug not being able to keep up but a BC should have no
problem. I have a little Lhasa that only has three legs but we manage by
using common sense and using a stroller when we go on long walks with
the other dogs.

However, consider that a puppy needs a lot more time, especially time to
go out and learn that's where the bathroom is. Maybe an older dog would
fit that scenario better. But you know the situation better than I do.