Dog haters

Old January 10th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

Default Dog haters

On Jan 10, 10:35*am, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

One advantage of having a lot of dogs is that it's pretty unlikely
that someone who's really afraid of dogs is going to want to come
inside here. *I might corral the dogs in another room too, if it was
for just a few minutes, but if the person was just stopping by to pick
something up or drop something off I'd most likely go outside myself.

Yup - same here. Even with just 2 dogs, if the visit is a drop-
something-off kind of thing, it is simpler.

We don't reallyhave big parties - our house isn't that big, even
without the dogs. *What's a ball holder? *

Our house isn't very big either, but we tend to have biggish parties.
Indoors, I do corral the dogs downstairs, and that way people have a
choice whether to hang out with them or not (most do at some point or
another), but their tails aren't knocking over every wine glass in my
not-so-big living room.

A ball holder is actually a shower caddy that hangs from my deck. 2
sections hold 3 tennis balls each and a little hook give the chuck-it
a place to hang. A handy place for the balls to dry (from being in
the puppy pool) and all of it to stay out of reach once fetching is
over.

Old January 10th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Jan 10, 12:55*pm, Janet wrote:
snip

their tails aren't knocking over every wine glass in my
not-so-big living room.

That's definitely a concern!

A ball holder is actually a shower caddy that hangs from my deck. *2
sections hold 3 tennis balls each and a little hook give the chuck-it
a place to hang. *A handy place for the balls to dry (from being in
the puppy pool) and all of it to stay out of reach once fetching is
over.

Ah. Having never owned a retriever, I'd not have figured that one
out.

Old January 10th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jan 10, 3:06*pm, "sighthounds & siberians"
wrote:
On Jan 10, 12:55*pm, Janet wrote:
snip

A ball holder is actually a shower caddy that hangs from my deck. *2
sections hold 3 tennis balls each and a little hook give the chuck-it
a place to hang. *A handy place for the balls to dry (from being in
the puppy pool) and all of it to stay out of reach once fetching is
over.

Ah. *Having never owned a retriever, I'd not have figured that one
out.

I'm tempted to market them as such.

Old January 10th 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Jo Wolf" wrote

In my county, the law requires dogs off the owner's property to be under
direct owner control. Because dogs are animals and don't ALWAYS, 100%
of the time instantly respond to owner voice command, from the view of
practicality, that means a leash. Used properly.... not a flexi with
the dog 20 feet away from the hapless owner who forgets to reel the dog
in. It's the easy way to avoid a lawsuit.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Hi Jo, is the Georgia USA or the other one? Just wondering as here in the
USA there is some level of varience but it almost always has to be a leash
unless a designated spot. I am told by locals that the electronic leashes
aren't to be used in my city (noth that I've ever bothered to look it up,
not being interested in that until Mabel Anne came to us).

I do see the flexi-leash used at times but only 2-3 folks use them on the
blocks right around me and all have small dogs on them (15lbs and under). I
don't think that's an ordinance but rather more common to use them with
smaller ones. Kinda 'monkey see, monkey do' and if you always see the
larger pets on a firm leash (to harness or collar) then maybe the idea just
seems to not occur? I know i got one for Cash at the start but it gave him
just enough head, he could jerk me off my feet so I shifted to a shorter
leash. Now that he's better trained, I could probably go back to it but see
no real reason to.

Old January 10th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Janet" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

See, I do a fair amount of 'freecycle' and I have a standard post I use
with
pickups. I not only give the address, I add notes that if you call in
advance I will happily baby-gate off the dogs or in good weather put in
backyard for a bit. I add my phone number and leave it to them. I add
that
Cash barks really loud as they drive up if he's lose and sounds scarey if
not a doggie person.

I don't let Freecycle people in my house. I Freecycle a fair amount,
but I leave the items outdoors, preferably at the END of my driveway.
I don't really have a need to interact with the folks picking up. It
is rare that I meet anyone I pick up from either. Most people leave
items outside.

Every area is a bit different on this one. Some groups are 'better run' for
example, and some have minimal control. Many here also 'leave outside' but
most don't. It's pretty much hand out at the door but it's not uncommon to
come in in chat a bit (southern hospitality thing).

Part of it is also weather related. It may be wetter where I am so
books/magazines and such can't usually be left outside. Another one we in
the area do is freezer-burned frozen raw meats for RMB feeding and you can't
leave that at the curb either. (In fact, our local rules do not allow
requests for food generally except for Raw Feeding meats that are like that
for pet use. Offer of food allowed though for anything).

I have a pickup here every 2-3 weeks. Wednesday a fellow is picking up a
CRT type 19 (maybe bigger) SVGA working monitor to pair with a system he
built his grandmother. He's a frequent pickup of older computer parts as he
rebuilds them then gifts them out. 4 months ago, he picked up 3 computer
'carcasses' from me (most internals working, HD's removed) and rebuilt them.
Couldn't leave those out either as it was raining. Too bad he doesn't work
on laptops as I have 2 that need minor repair (after wiping the HD's
completely of course).

Old January 10th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jan 10, 5:32*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

Part of it is also weather related.

That's what trash bags are for ;-D

The only time I let someone "in" was to my garage, where I had
assembled a very large pile of stuff. He FILLED his minvan with it.
A very freeing day. The best things I've placed - a 12' x 21' second
story deck; a boat trailer with a broken axle; a half a ton of boxwood
shrubs (with digging). Getting rid of stuff I'd have to pay to remove
is truly wonderful.
Old January 11th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Janet wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

See, I do a fair amount of 'freecycle' and I have a standard post I use
with
pickups. I not only give the address, I add notes that if you call in
advance I will happily baby-gate off the dogs or in good weather put in
backyard for a bit. I add my phone number and leave it to them. I add
that
Cash barks really loud as they drive up if he's lose and sounds scarey
if
not a doggie person.

I don't let Freecycle people in my house. I Freecycle a fair amount,

Yeah...everyone has the prerogative to do what they want, of course.
We don't seem to have Freecycle here, or if we do I haven't really
found it; but I would not want a steady stream of strangers coming
into my house. And strangers' toddlers? No way.

Grin, have had like, 1 toddler but she picked the kid up and didn't let him
down having been advised of the 'pretty but toddler hating cat'.

As you say, nothing wrong with doing it however you feel comfortable with!
I just find it an enjoyable hobby that's harmless and possibly beneficial to
my community as well as the landfill situation. Also, Don (and I) have a
potentially expensive hobby this alleviates. We like to refinish furniture
but it starts to add up fast if you not only have to buy the stuff to do it,
but the furniture too. When you add in that we don't have room to keep all
the pieces, this is a decent solution. Once long ago we did consignment
professional refinishing but we are older now and don't want the deadlines
or the hassles of that. It has now become again, just a fun hobby. We don't
do true antiques either except those so damaged they have to have wood and
often patina replaced before they can be functionally used.

Got a lovely 125 year old rocking chair we redid but we had to replace 1
runner, the bottom seat (squarish sticks up bit), the horse-hair pad and the
arm support on one side (had been left outside for many years then used to
hold plants which leaked and rotted the wood under the cushion). 125 years
ago people were shorter and this one fits my legs perfectly being 5ft1in
TALL (grin).

To bring this back to dogs (grin), One of the things we've freecyled is toys
Cash just didn't like. Most of the time we didn't have any other dog for
the past 2 years but tried lots of variations in toys. He's just not into
Kong toys at all. It doesnt matter what you fill them with. There seems a
total lack of interest in their design on his part. Odd eh?

Old January 11th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Jo Wolf" wrote

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Hi Jo, is the Georgia USA or the other one? Just wondering as here in the
USA there is some level of varience but it almost always has to be a leash
unless a designated spot.

I can assure you that Jo is from "our" Georgia.

Thought so but reasonable to check.

I am told by locals that the electronic leashes
aren't to be used in my city (noth that I've ever bothered to look it up,
not being interested in that until Mabel Anne came to us).

"Electronic leashes" (I'm presuming that you actually mean e-collars,
or remote electronic training collars) are allowed (i.e., are

Yes, I used a generic name as I was not sure if e-collars covered the range.

perfectly legal) in all US states and municipalities (I can't speak
for the former Soviet bloc country of Georgia), but when a dog is out
and about in public here, there are many areas where a regular leash
(leather, vinyl, cloth, flexi, chain, etc.) is required by law, even
if the dog is wearing an e-collar, and no matter how well the owner
thinks his or her dog is trained.

That seems to fit here. You'd have to use both and it seems a little
pointless to me. I may be missing something though.

I do see the flexi-leash used at times but only 2-3 folks use them on the
blocks right around me and all have small dogs on them (15lbs and under).
don't think that's an ordinance but rather more common to use them with
smaller ones. Kinda 'monkey see, monkey do' and if you always see the
larger pets on a firm leash (to harness or collar) then maybe the idea
just
seems to not occur? I know i got one for Cash at the start but it gave
him
just enough head, he could jerk me off my feet so I shifted to a shorter
leash. Now that he's better trained, I could probably go back to it but
see
no real reason to.

As I've said here many times before, a dog trainer really can't have
too many tools, but the flexi-leash (in my opinion) should usually be
kept at the bottom of his or her tool box (still in its original
wrapper, if possible). And like, say, Crocs, only taken out in public
on special occasions...and when no one else can see you using one.

Hehe I agree. I may be prejudiced but I prefer better control. I might
think otherwise in a dog park but my minimal experience with them was when
Cash was new to us and not even remotely well leash trained.

I may be not the smartest dog owner here, but it seemed to me pretty hard to
teach a dog initial leash behavior with one. I guess I am prejudiced
against them? I got one only because Cash's foster parents when we got him
used one. It gathered dust after 3 days and was sent off in freecycle about
3 months later to a lady with a mini-poodle.

Oh, good training news. Mabel Anne, though slower to train than Cash has
'caught on' that ASL means something. She's progressing nicely we think.
If you read the health group too, we are still waiting vet results on her
possible cancer. As it is, she's much more active than you would expect any
'pup' of her age to be and obviously enjoying herself.

Cash seems to prefer to 'train' for 10 mins or more 2-3 times a day. Mabel
Anne seems to prefer shorter sessions of about 5 mins, 3 times a day but in
the last week, she has exceeded him on ASL once we dropped all speach. Her
'down' is now perfect. Her 'sit from the down position' is damn near
perfect except when her hips hurt (then she sorta rises and perches to the
side). 'Down' to 'Stand' is 70% as sometimes she just rises to sit then
slowly shifts to stand (we think that is fine as she just takes her time and
gets there).

We jokingly call her 'stalker pup' as she is paying attention really well so
follows us about the house. She's got no signs we can tell other than
arthritis (stiff joints) of any health issues.

Old January 11th 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:13:13 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]
"Electronic leashes" (I'm presuming that you actually mean e-collars,
or remote electronic training collars) are allowed (i.e., are

Yes, I used a generic name as I was not sure if e-collars covered the range.

The generic name would be e-collar (short for electronic collar, and
which is sometimes called a remote training collar). And then there
are bark collars, which work independently of the owner's input (and
of which I am not a fan, primarily for that very reason). And then
there are electronic fences (of which I am also not a fan, again,
because they require no owner input).

perfectly legal) in all US states and municipalities (I can't speak
for the former Soviet bloc country of Georgia), but when a dog is out
and about in public here, there are many areas where a regular leash
(leather, vinyl, cloth, flexi, chain, etc.) is required by law, even
if the dog is wearing an e-collar, and no matter how well the owner
thinks his or her dog is trained.

That seems to fit here. You'd have to use both and it seems a little
pointless to me. I may be missing something though.

No, you wouldn't need to use both. Just a regular collar in public.

That's all that the law *requires.*

[...]

--
Dogman
Old January 11th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:14:35 -0500, Dogman wrote:

As I've said here many times before, a dog trainer really can't have
too many tools, but the flexi-leash (in my opinion) should usually be
kept at the bottom of his or her tool box (still in its original
wrapper, if possible). And like, say, Crocs, only taken out in public
on special occasions...and when no one else can see you using one.

Heh. Good friends of ours are big fans of those things, used to use
them at adoption group meet & greets which drove me nuts. At the big
greyhound event in Dewey Beach, DE, a couple of years ago, she talked
me into borrowing her Flexi to walk my greyhound on the beach. Now, I
do think Flexis can be useful for that - it's not permissable (or
wise) to let the dogs off leash on the beach and it gives them a
little more freedom - but Music wasn't used to a Flexi. He saw water
birds and got excited, and as he trotted along the leash kept going so
he kept going...until he hit the end, causing me with my balance
problems to do a face plant in the sand. It was both funny and
educational.