Best way to tranquilize semi-wild rescue for visit to Vet?

Old January 4th 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
johnnyb

Default Best way to tranquilize semi-wild rescue for visit to Vet?

My most recent acquisition (rescue) is an adorable Chow Chow that apparently
has been living on his own for most of his life. According to the neighbors
who have been feeding him, he has been living in a field under a tree for
about a year. My guess is that he is about one and a half years old. I
have had him for about 3 months now and can only scratch his head lightly
while he eats. I need to take him in for a rabies vaccine, but can't figure
how to accomplish that. I have talked to my most recent Vet and he had no
suggestion for me other than possibly administering Acepromazine. He also
said that since we don't really know how much he weighs, figuring the right
dose would be tricky. Since he goes with me for walks in the country, I
feel it is extremely important that he gets a rabies vaccine. I have never
used Acepromazine and am under the impression that it is a very mild
tranquilizer; less potent than I think I will require.
Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Old January 6th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady[_2_]

On 1/3/2012 10:30 PM, johnnyb wrote:
[...]

..................when you say you have him, does this mean he's
somewhere (outdoor kennel, fenced yard, etc.) where he's not roaming any
more?

.............I'm sure you don't want to do anything to ruin the slowly
forming relationship, but it seems to me the best bet is to trap him and
have a vet come out and do the vaccination while he's in the cage.

...........I think you've got many months ahead before you can get to the
point of putting the dog on the leash and actually taking him to the
vet's office w/o having something bad happen - like a bite - which would
really put the dog in danger and probably quarantine.

.........I'd look around this site, think it's probably got a lot of good
suggestions and some free training stuff:
http://feraldog.wordpress.com/feral-...ife-resources/

...........Some things to speed up relationship: call dog by name when
you bring out food, praise if he comes, feed kibble one bite at a time,
talking soothingly the whole time. Every once in a while withhold
kibble bit and pet first. Petting should progress past head if he'll
tolerate it.

.............good luck!

buglady

Old January 6th 12, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady[_2_]

On 1/6/2012 10:22 AM, buglady wrote:

...............Just to add, I found lots of useful things googling
---capturing stray dog.
This would be worth reading, though this dog was in much worse shape:
http://www.play-therapy.com/playfulp...iferal0001.pdf

...........I think the important thing is not to have expectations of any
kind. You never know, this dog could suddenly relax and turn around in
the blink of an eye.
...........But for the dog to be safe from the final injection, I'd get
that vax any way you could. Get it out of the way.

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old January 6th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
johnnyb

Thanks. He is in a large fenced-in yard. I've been doing pretty much all
you suggested and am making progress. I can scratch his head while he eats.
He's very playful and loves having me chase him around the yard. As you
mentioned, I hate the thought of trapping him and possibly alienating him,
but I guess that is the only way to get a vaccine in him. He has shown no
aggression so far. Thanks again for the reply.

John

m...

Old January 29th 12, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

On Jan 3, 10:30*pm, "johnnyb" wrote:

*Since he goes with me for walks in the country, I
feel it is extremely important that he gets a rabies vaccine.

It's not as important as you think it is. He may have already had one.
He probably has some immunity already even if he had no shots at all.
I'd titer test him first if I were you. Recent studies are showing
that a single rabies vaccine lasts a lifetime and all those "booster"
shots are for nothing, even causing lots of harm including a reduction
in immunity.
Old January 30th 12, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

cyndi wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:

On Jan 3, 10:30*pm, "johnnyb" wrote:

*Since he goes with me for walks in the country, I
feel it is extremely important that he gets a rabies vaccine.

It's not as important as you think it is. He may have already had one.
He probably has some immunity already even if he had no shots at all.
I'd titer test him first if I were you. Recent studies are showing
that a single rabies vaccine lasts a lifetime and all those "booster"
shots are for nothing, even causing lots of harm including a reduction
in immunity.

God Char, you are so dangerous.

Jonny, the reason the USA has an extemely small rabies rate from dogs
is over time they showed a vacine in this case has to be regiven,
normally at the 3 year rate. If bitten, an immediate booster is safer
for your pet and very effective. It may be a 4 year or 5 year rate
works but they are still working that out. For now, safest is 1, then
one a year later then every 3 years after that.

Rabies although not all that common, is endemic in the USA/Canadian
wildlife. It's one of the reasons if you travel outside the USA/Canada
you have to have shot records and your pet may have to go to a kennel
for obvervtion even then for several months and no, it's not free to
keep them in that kennel.

Old February 10th 12, 02:50 PM
QaqaCattleDog QaqaCattleDog is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
[...]

I've read a book about tranquilizing aggressive Queensland Heelers for vet visits. The book talked about how some dogs have severe reactions to tranquilizers that may lead to coma.

Last edited by QaqaCattleDog : February 29th 12 at 02:12 PM.
Old February 18th 12, 05:39 AM
PickePekingese PickePekingese is offline
Member

I suggest you get help from experts. They know how to calm the dog.
Pekingese training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???