Senior Dachshunds in Virginia Need a Home

Old April 24th 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Lori Goduti

Default Senior Dachshunds in Virginia Need a Home

Good Morning.

I have the unfortunate task of finding a home for two elderly
Dachshunds. Both of their human parents have cancer and are no longer
able to take care of them. Their mother has breast cancer and the
father is at end-stage kidney cancer.

Both Duncan and Rocko are the best loving dogs you could want. Duncan
has some allergy skin issues and typical ear issues that Dachshunds
are prone to. Rocko is very healthy. Their shots are up to date and
I do have access to their medical records.

This is very hard for me as I’m an avid animal lover…I’m having a hard
time not crying as I’m writing. But I have no way of keeping them
myself and there are no other family members that can take them.

Thanks to all for any help! Anything is greatly appreciated!!

Lori Goduti
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old April 25th 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Jo Wolf

Lori, your best bet is LOCAL. (This is an international group..... for
discussion of how rescue works, rather than placement.) Another SUPER
source of help is a Dachshund rescue group. Google or do a basic search
for Dachshund Rescue, USA. These folks place dogs in homes that
specifically Want Dachsies, and often have had one or more over their
lives. They are experts in the breed. They sometimes even have homes
that specifically take in the old fellers.... sometimes called "old
folks homes".... because they prefer the older dog of that breed. (For
instance, I have two homes, far apart, that always have at least one
elderly re-homed Border Terrier.... and when one old dog goes across the
Bridge, they request another.) The group doesn't need to be local to
you; the central contact person probably has contacts all the heck over
the place for fostering and placing, or for permanent placement. (I
have transported dogs for several breed rescues for part of their
journies to their new lives.... lots of volunteers do this if they can't
help by fostering....) Most rescues are particularly accomodating for
dogs in the same position the two you are working with. They do not
have Shelters. The dogs are fostered in regular homes until placed in
permanent ones.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old April 26th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Charles Richmond[_3_]

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

All this is true... but I *did* adopt a dog via this newsgroup back in the
year 2000. She was a *great* dog!!! Unfortunately, she passed away in
2010. A transport was organized and she was taken from Marysville Ohio to
our home in Texas. It was difficult for the dog, because she got car sick.

--
++
| Charles Richmond |

Old April 26th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Jo Wolf

True. It takes 2-3 weeks right now to set up a long transport, using
yahoogroups that do nothing else. Some specialize in certain routes or
certain regions. And there are times when a traveler will volunteer to
take a single dog from one point to another..... by car or airline. I
once took a Boston Terrier, delivered to me from Atlanta, to the
Sarasota, FL, area, a 8-9 hour trip from here for the dog, without a lot
of vehicle changes. Our Canadian counterparts picked up a dog in Boston
to fly home to Montreal with one of their volunteers who was in Boston
on business. And another time, took one of my own foster dogs from
Augusta, GA, to above Dayton, OH, where the adoptor (from Indianapolis)
met me where I was staying. Last year, we moved a dog from dog shows
(local rescue delivered the dog) in Kansas City, MO, to dog shows
Louisville, KY (where our foster happened to be showing that
weekend),with a professional handler (like you see on televised shows)
in a single lift. I had routed the dog to St Louis and up to Chicago,
over to suburban Detroit, and down to central Ohio with about 6 vehicles
used..... so I was thrilled to get this last minute opportunity. Most
transports are on weekends when the drivers aren't working their regular
jobs. In the East, most sections of a transport are 50-75 miles one
way, but sometimes they are just from one side ofa larg metro area to
the other. Each section is called a "leg". I have been know to put my
brother and their wives to work... and my sister.... all in widely
different regions. {grin}

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA