herding clinic this weekend

Old January 16th 04, 10:39 PM
Abby Pennington

Gwen Watson wrote in
:

I do think I will not take my very clean puppy to this particular
clinic. I may take myself, depending on MIL and if she stays over
tonight. Unexpected thing.

I agree with Mary, in that I think you should go, but not bring Reznor
yet. It's a *wonderful* learning experience (with or without mudg), and
I think you will get a lot out of it. I also don't think you should count
Reznor out yet. Many, many Corgis still have quite a herding instinct.
It's not Border Collie herding, but they are terrific little drovers.
Give him a chance! And sometimes they need to see another dog working
for the light to switch on. When I first took Mooch to sheep, he was
like, "Wow, mom.. those things are big and scary!" But then he saw an ACD
on the stock in another pen, and it was like, "Hey!! I can do that!"
Awesome to watch when we actually had him in the pen on the sheep--it's
so cool to see them "turn on." BTW my dogs' trainer doesn't like young
puppies to have many rules yet. She likes them to play chase with the
stock at first til they are mentally mature enough to have the rules
begun. I haven't been able to take June since the summer, but last time I
took her, we just had her chasing some ducks and gathering them on her
own.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

Old January 16th 04, 10:53 PM
Gwen Watson

Abby Pennington wrote:

I haven't been able to take June since the summer, but last time I
took her, we just had her chasing some ducks and gathering them on her
own.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

Thanks Abby for the advice. I really don't think he would be scared
at all. I am going to call her. She did tell me other corgis were going
to be there.

I know he sure did want a piece of those mini donkeys the other day.

Ducks sound more like it.

I just got off this web page:
http://www.corgirescue.org/PE_Herding.html

And I am amazed at the various breeds corgis are believed to come
from. Like the Lundehund. Those are pretty cute too.

And funny the Vallhund showing is it Triple Crown dog Academy this
weekend. So much to do so little time.

Gwen

Old January 16th 04, 11:06 PM
Mary Healey

Gwen Watson wrote:
Thanks Mary. The instructor did think Reznor should go. I am torn
on this. I appreciate your experienced opinion.

Not so experienced. I've just found that I learn a lot from watching
other people work. I get flustered pretty easily, so being a little
familiar with the structure and expectations of a clinic (or trial) by
going a few times without the critter makes me a less "all thumbs" when
I do bring a dog/horse/whatever.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,

Old January 17th 04, 12:14 AM
Paul

You're probably gone by now, but for $25 I'd go in a second if I were you
just because I think it would be interesting and you could learn some things
to do on your own with Reznor.

Have a great weekend.

Paul