Report on herding clinic

Old January 20th 04, 02:53 PM
Gwen Watson

Default Report on herding clinic

On Friday I asked about taking Reznor to a herding clinic. I did end
up taking him as the person holding it assured me it was not the
same as most clinics. It was grand. Lots of lecturing so in some
ways it wasn't the best of my money to have taken him. Though
I enjoyed it thoroughly.

There was only five of us there. It is funny how "small" the
dog world is and how people cross over.

One person there was a very good Agility trainer in town
that I have taken a class under when Clovis and I first started.
She has been going to this herding instructor for several months
now. So I knew her.

Then a women I didn't know whose husband is a trainer
at Triple Crown Dog Academy was there who has been
going out there once a week for a few months.

Then a Pembroke breeder who took Reznor in the show ring
for his first show was there with two of her corgis and her
friend with one corgi. I didn't know she was going to
be there.

Reznor's first time in with sheep he was terrified. One of the sheep
made a stand off look at him and he wanted no part of them or
doing it. I really thought well that's it, he was bred just to be pretty

and all instincts for herding have diminished. But in the afternoon
she had me have him watch Karen and her dog who have been coming
for a while. While he observed he got pumped. The next time in he
clicked on to hey these animals are fun and to chase. Of course I
realize
he didn't have a clue of what he was doing but the instructor did say he
was
trying to get in front of the sheep rather than run them in circles from
the rear.

She taught many things. One exercise was the humans paired up and one
of us was suppose to be a dog. We were suppose to get this very wild
undog ready sheep to go to the handler/herder. That was a neat exercise
in which we learned sort of from the dogs perspective. Also how much is
involved in moving the sheep and keeping them turned.

The first exercise was us just getting some very young sheep to move
into
a pen. Again they were quite flighty sheep.

Much of the day was spent in lecturing and learning some of the basics
and the principals. There really is a lot to herding. Lots and lots. And

I can see it takes a great dog and a lot of work to ever begin to get
there.

Her aussie was awesome I must say. And one thing for sure herding
aside, this women is a good dog trainer. And I will be going back to
her no matter what for training. But I really would love to pursue
herding if I have the money and time. I wish she wasn't once again
so far away and that my working commute wasn't so darn far away as well.

Gwen