Taping GSD Ears

Old November 10th 03, 08:04 PM
BobJ

Default Taping GSD Ears

We've got a 4 month old GSD who's ears have not come up and it doesn't
appear as though they're going to...they're soft, laying sideways on her
head...

I've spoke to a couple breeders here in the area and both recommended that
the pups ears be taped NOW - rather than wait till it's too late - as the
later we wait the less chance that the taping will 'take'.

My question, is there a web site somewhere that shows how to do it? We've
had GSD before, but never had to tape the ears up.

Thanks for any help.

BobJ

Old November 10th 03, 09:12 PM
CaptRon

"BobJ" wrote in message
link.net...
We've got a 4 month old GSD who's ears have not come up and it doesn't
appear as though they're going to...they're soft, laying sideways on her
head...

I've spoke to a couple breeders here in the area and both recommended that
the pups ears be taped NOW - rather than wait till it's too late - as the
later we wait the less chance that the taping will 'take'.

My question, is there a web site somewhere that shows how to do it? We've
had GSD before, but never had to tape the ears up.

perhaps one of the breeders could do it for you? Ive read the instructions
and said "HUH?" I was told by my breeder that its hard to do right the
first time, so its better to have someone knowledgable do it.
On the same note, our pup's ears are still down, after being completely up
for 2 days!! ACK!

one ear he pricks up, the other is almost always flat. but we were told by
the breeder and the vet that it is sometimes 5+ months and not to worry
until then (he's only 3 months now)

dainerra

Old November 11th 03, 01:09 AM
Rene

"CaptRon" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"BobJ" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Does it help to give GSD's vitamin C for their ears? I have Rhodesian
Ridgebacks and we are instructed to give extra vitamin C to make sure the
ears lay right. The problem they can have is called flyaway ears, where
they sort of stick out to the side instead of folding and creating nice
triangles. My breeder told me when the pups are teething they require more
vitamin C because the new teeth (I guess) are pulling calcium from the ears
and that vitamin C helps with cartilage and bone development. I know it
sounds strange but it has been confirmed by many RR breeders on a RR email
list I am on that has over 1000 members (I think). I know with ridgebacks,
if they have flyaway ears at 5 or 6 months, they will have them for life.

Also, we are told to give vitamin C to keep the pasterns up.

René

Old November 11th 03, 01:09 AM
Rene

"CaptRon" wrote in message
hlink.net...

link.net...

Old November 13th 03, 07:55 PM
Lynn K.

"BobJ" wrote in message hlink.net...

I've spoke to a couple breeders here in the area and both recommended that
the pups ears be taped NOW - rather than wait till it's too late - as the
later we wait the less chance that the taping will 'take'.

If the ears have nothing at the base, they're probably right. Now or
never. The best solution is to take the pup to one so that you can
learn how to do it from watching.

Lynn K.

Old November 13th 03, 08:29 PM
CaptRon

"Lynn K." wrote in message
om...
"BobJ" wrote in message

hlink.net...

I've spoke to a couple breeders here in the area and both recommended

that
the pups ears be taped NOW - rather than wait till it's too late - as

the
later we wait the less chance that the taping will 'take'.

If the ears have nothing at the base, they're probably right. Now or
never. The best solution is to take the pup to one so that you can
learn how to do it from watching.

Rayden's ears are still driving me crazy. Both ears were completely up for
about 4 days then SPLAT completely 100% flat against his skull where they
have stayed since. Funny thing is, his breeder said that, from the litter,
6 of the puppies did the exact same thing at the exact same time. Anyway,
1 ear is kinda up, but bent looking at the bottem (so that it tilts inward)
except when he gets excited. It looks like you squished in one corner of
the base.
The other ear is completely flat 90% of the time, even when he is excited.
Then, it just twitches and sticks out from the side of his head. Then this
morning, both were straight up for about 20 minutes. Now, of course, they
are completely flat.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

To bring this back more to the OP, the vet advised me of EAR IMPLANTS.
They slit the back of the ear and put in a support, like an upside-down T,
bent (V) to mold the ear. Doesnt that sound painful??

dainerra

Old November 13th 03, 09:03 PM
Gwen Watson

CaptRon wrote:

To bring this back more to the OP, the vet advised me of EAR IMPLANTS.
They slit the back of the ear and put in a support, like an upside-down T,
bent (V) to mold the ear. Doesnt that sound painful??

dainerra

How old is your GSD. I have missed several of your posts. Is he/she
teething? That often does have an effect on the ears standing. I would
take the taping route first and see how that goes.

Gwen

We have ears! CaptRon Dog breeds 3 December 9th 03 02:44 PM
Taping GSD Ears BobJ Dog breeds 13 November 22nd 03 11:44 PM
German Shepherd ears Mari-Sue Dog breeds 5 November 9th 03 05:37 PM
German Shepherd Ears.. CaptRon Dog breeds 5 October 21st 03 12:56 AM
Question about ears [email protected] Dog breeds 0 July 6th 03 05:12 PM